Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
omninode

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by omninode » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of negotiating between WUSTL, UIUC, and UMN? Are these schools typically competitive against one another? Thanks.

Dake!

New

Post by Dake! » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
Dake! wrote:Hope for all the negotiators:
Two successes...
$0 at a T-20, up to full tuition schol (sent two emails)
$10k per year, up to full tuition + stipend at a highly ranked school (negotiated with other schol offers + T3 acceptance)
It really does work!
Congrats, that is awesome!

What do you mean "sent two emails"? Meaning you sent another email after a rejection?
Oops...wasn't clear. For the T-20 school, I sent two "I am eligible for scholarships?" emails. The first reply was a no or a non-answers (I can't remember). The second one did not get an email reply but was followed up with a schol letter

OSUDEVIL

New

Post by OSUDEVIL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm

If it was a "No" in the first e-mail, how did you respond in the second one to get past that initial rejection?
Last edited by OSUDEVIL on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:05 pm

OSUDEVIL wrote:If it was a "No" in the first e-mail, how did you respond in the second one to get past that initial rejection?
This. Also, how long did you wait?

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Dake! wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:
Two successes...
$10k per year, up to full tuition + stipend at a highly ranked school (negotiated with other schol offers + T3 acceptance)
It really does work!

What do you mean "sent two emails"? Meaning you sent another email after a rejection?
Oops...wasn't clear. For the T-20 school, I sent two "I am eligible for scholarships?" emails. The first reply was a no or a non-answers (I can't remember). The second one did not get an email reply but was followed up with a schol letter
By T3 do you mean HYS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gfj90

New

Post by gfj90 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 pm

So I have pretty much all of my decisions back and starting the negotation process. Unfortunatley, I am still waiting on scholarship information at a number of the schools. I have a few scholarship offers that I know will give me leverage, but I do not know when to begin the process with the schools who haven't made offers yet. The last thing I want to do is wait until the last minute to start negotiating, so I am wondering if it is alright to contact theses schools and see what's taking so long.

I know it is ok to contact schools who never made an offer, but I was accepted recently and it is clearly states that scholarship decisions would be made beginning in Febraury. Do I just need to be patient?

Dake!

New

Post by Dake! » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm

kroakstool wrote:
Dake! wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:
Two successes...
It really does work!

By T3 do you mean HYS?
Yep. And for the other questions, I just sent the second email, even though there wasn't a positive response at first :) I figured it couldn't hurt! it was a fairly long wait: probably a month between emails, and maybe 3 weeks after the 2nd email til letter. I have no idea what made them change their minds...! For the other school, turn around was a lot faster, under a week.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 am

I have a little wired situation....I have two schools ranked very far apart that both gave me 12,500 a year ..can I use the higher ranked school to negotiate ore money for. The lower ranked school even though they both offered the same amount?

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:45 am

mcdeeremitch wrote:I have a little wired situation....I have two schools ranked very far apart that both gave me 12,500 a year ..can I use the higher ranked school to negotiate ore money for. The lower ranked school even though they both offered the same amount?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 am

omninode wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:I have a little wired situation....I have two schools ranked very far apart that both gave me 12,500 a year ..can I use the higher ranked school to negotiate ore money for. The lower ranked school even though they both offered the same amount?
Yes.
Any advice on to word that in an email?

nyca

New

Post by nyca » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am

Question about negotiating scholarships:

Many of you have said that you continued to negotiate scholarships until June. Obviously, one would have had to make a commitment to only one school by the point. Does that mean that in these cases, you had already committed to going to a given school, but continued to negotiate scholarship money? And only at that school?

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Deleted
Last edited by kroakstool on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Last edited by btw384 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dreamflower

New

Post by dreamflower » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Are people emailing these requests or mailing them?

Also, do you send it to the dean of admissions?

Do you attach other scholarship offer to the original request or do you wait until this is requested?

THANK YOU!

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

dreamflower wrote:Are people emailing these requests or mailing them?

Also, do you send it to the dean of admissions?

Do you attach other scholarship offer to the original request or do you wait until this is requested?

THANK YOU!
I'm emailing mine to deans/assistant deans if I have their names. Otherwise I'm
just putting "admissions staff." And I'm not sending the offers unless they ask

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Should you send schools copies of other schools scholarship letters or just tell them in the email and only send it if asked??

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Should you send schools copies of other schools scholarship letters or just tell them in the email and only send it if asked??
I actually just got my scholarship nearly doubled today, so it does really work. I sent the dean of admissions an e-mail expressing my interest, and I mentioned the other scholarships I was offered and the amount of each. When they responded, they asked for a copy of the other offers. It was then that I sent them a copy. Hope this helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 pm

How long would you recommend waiting for a response? I sent a letter over a week ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet, and I'm not sure what to do now.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Just realized that some schools are closed today..so it gives me extra time to polish my letter....would anyone be interested in reviewing my letter in a PM??

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Just realized that some schools are closed today..so it gives me extra time to polish my letter....would anyone be interested in reviewing my letter in a PM??
sure i've got some free time!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm

ggibelli wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Just realized that some schools are closed today..so it gives me extra time to polish my letter....would anyone be interested in reviewing my letter in a PM??
sure i've got some free time!
Pm'ed Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:How long would you recommend waiting for a response? I sent a letter over a week ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet, and I'm not sure what to do now.
I can't say, as I only waited 5 days for a response. Within a day of my response, I was given the new offer. I would say maybe wait another week, and if you don't hear anything, send a polite reminder. That said, my numbers aren't stellar for the school which increased my scholly. I have an LSAT at their 75th percentile, but my GPA is well below their 25th percentile.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

I am almost ready to send my negotiation letter to one of my top choices (which is Maine... I'm still waiting to hear back from many higher ranked schools but I really feel like Maine is a great fit for me). I just received a phone call from the Dean of Admissions. He left a message and asked where Maine was on my list and if I received my scholarship letter. I received $12,000 per year (I'm out of state, so this brings my tuition down to in-state at around $20,000). It is renewable 2nd and 3rd years as long as I maintain a 2.0.

Since the Dean called, should I call him back or e-mail him instead? It would be nice to talk with him on the phone, but I'm worried about a potentially awkward conversation when I ask for more money. Is it rude to e-mail him after he called and left a voice message asking me to call him back? Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 am

Sherlock1708 wrote:I am almost ready to send my negotiation letter to one of my top choices (which is Maine... I'm still waiting to hear back from many higher ranked schools but I really feel like Maine is a great fit for me). I just received a phone call from the Dean of Admissions. He left a message and asked where Maine was on my list and if I received my scholarship letter. I received $12,000 per year (I'm out of state, so this brings my tuition down to in-state at around $20,000). It is renewable 2nd and 3rd years as long as I maintain a 2.0.

Since the Dean called, should I call him back or e-mail him instead? It would be nice to talk with him on the phone, but I'm worried about a potentially awkward conversation when I ask for more money. Is it rude to e-mail him after he called and left a voice message asking me to call him back? Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
I'd probably go with the phone call. It's much more personal and I feel like it gives you the best chance to get an increase

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:15 pm

ggibelli wrote:
Sherlock1708 wrote:I am almost ready to send my negotiation letter to one of my top choices (which is Maine... I'm still waiting to hear back from many higher ranked schools but I really feel like Maine is a great fit for me). I just received a phone call from the Dean of Admissions. He left a message and asked where Maine was on my list and if I received my scholarship letter. I received $12,000 per year (I'm out of state, so this brings my tuition down to in-state at around $20,000). It is renewable 2nd and 3rd years as long as I maintain a 2.0.

I'd probably go with the phone call. It's much more personal and I feel like it gives you the best chance to get an increase
The Dean actually just e-mailed me, so I e-mailed him back with my request for an increased scholarship. Hopefully I'll have good news to report!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”