Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
saf18hornet

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by saf18hornet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 am

pizzagoblin wrote:Successfully bumped Georgetown up from $90K to $135K and got an unsolicited bump to a full ride at Vanderbilt.
Did you share all your offers to Georgetown? Or just those from the T14. I kind of assume the GW scholarship matters most to them, even though they are lower ranked, that DC battle must be hard core.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am

saf18hornet wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:Successfully bumped Georgetown up from $90K to $135K and got an unsolicited bump to a full ride at Vanderbilt.
Did you share all your offers to Georgetown? Or just those from the T14. I kind of assume the GW scholarship matters most to them, even though they are lower ranked, that DC battle must be hard core.
Just my UT offer, actually. Didn't think GW would sway them because of rankings.

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

Stats? And congrats btw

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

alhookem2020 wrote:
Stats? And congrats btw
Thanks! 167/ 3.9X.

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:19 am

pizzagoblin wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
Stats? And congrats btw
Thanks! 167/ 3.9X.
Haha, def already asked you your stats on the Vandy thread. My b...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GamecocksDT

New

Post by GamecocksDT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 am

Last edited by GamecocksDT on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 am

I was able to bump up George Washington and Texas 30k each pm for details if wanted

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Got a $3k bump from Notre Dame lol.

ETA: $30k bump from Michigan

REN10330

New

Post by REN10330 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:07 am

So I applied really really late in the admissions cycle (aka last Saturday) and just got my first two admission decisions on Thursday (accepted to William & Mary, and Drake). Yesterday I got my aid notifications from both and received a full ride plus the potential for a $10,000 stipend from Drake and a $35,000 yearly scholarship from W & M (I'm out of state). I know the two are not really comparable ranking wise, and I applied to W & M way after the deadline which makes me slightly uncomfortable to try and negotiate, but is possible that W & M would go higher? I thought about waiting till I hear back from the other places I applied but I am already so far behind the ball that this seemed potentially problematic.

My number are LSAT: 168 GPA: 3.85

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 pm

REN10330 wrote:So I applied really really late in the admissions cycle (aka last Saturday) and just got my first two admission decisions on Thursday (accepted to William & Mary, and Drake). Yesterday I got my aid notifications from both and received a full ride plus the potential for a $10,000 stipend from Drake and a $35,000 yearly scholarship from W & M (I'm out of state). I know the two are not really comparable ranking wise, and I applied to W & M way after the deadline which makes me slightly uncomfortable to try and negotiate, but is possible that W & M would go higher? I thought about waiting till I hear back from the other places I applied but I am already so far behind the ball that this seemed potentially problematic.

You might be able to get more from W&M, but, in all honesty, you should reapply early next cycle. You could easily got into a good few T13 schools and get some nice money too. Unless you want to do small law, then W&M and Drake aren't good options. Also, both of them are likely to keep you in either Iowa or Virginia respectively. If those are two states you want to live and practice in, then you're in a great place. If you're at all considering big law or want to practice elsewhere, then you really should be sitting out and covering the T13 (minus YHS).

REN10330

New

Post by REN10330 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:36 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
REN10330 wrote:So I applied really really late in the admissions cycle (aka last Saturday) and just got my first two admission decisions on Thursday (accepted to William & Mary, and Drake). Yesterday I got my aid notifications from both and received a full ride plus the potential for a $10,000 stipend from Drake and a $35,000 yearly scholarship from W & M (I'm out of state). I know the two are not really comparable ranking wise, and I applied to W & M way after the deadline which makes me slightly uncomfortable to try and negotiate, but is possible that W & M would go higher? I thought about waiting till I hear back from the other places I applied but I am already so far behind the ball that this seemed potentially problematic.

You might be able to get more from W&M, but, in all honesty, you should reapply early next cycle. You could easily got into a good few T13 schools and get some nice money too. Unless you want to do small law, then W&M and Drake aren't good options. Also, both of them are likely to keep you in either Iowa or Virginia respectively. If those are two states you want to live and practice in, then you're in a great place. If you're at all considering big law or want to practice elsewhere, then you really should be sitting out and covering the T13 (minus YHS).
Thanks. I was able to apply to Vanderbilt (on time) and Duke (late, so probably not getting in), but I haven't heard from either of those yet. I have been really torn about taking the extra year to get my life together, maybe retake the LSAT, and then reapply early like you suggested, but I can't decide if it is worth it.

GamecocksDT

New

Post by GamecocksDT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Has anybody negotiated with Northwestern without having to submit their reconsideration form?

I've got a unique circumstance and I'm looking for some help and advice.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 pm

GamecocksDT wrote:Has anybody negotiated with Northwestern without having to submit their reconsideration form?

I've got a unique circumstance and I'm looking for some help and advice.
TBH, I don't see any reason why you can't bring it up in the reconsideration form.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 pm

If you tried to get more scholarship money by saying, I am considering sitting out a year to save money and have a job offer, and kindly asked the school if more money was available given that the deposit deadline has passed, hoping that they would disperse extra available funds to you. Could the school pull your offer?

I do not have any leverage besides sitting out, at this point but am hoping for a slight bump from a t20 school. I would be devastated if they turned around and said thanks for asking but no funds are available good luck with your job, since I would like to attend this year.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:
I do not have any leverage besides sitting out,
That's not leverage.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Does anyone think there's potential in reaching out to a school at this point asking for a small bump? Or has the ship sailed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm

mrtux45 wrote:Does anyone think there's potential in reaching out to a school at this point asking for a small bump? Or has the ship sailed
I did this and it worked for me.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:16 pm

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:Does anyone think there's potential in reaching out to a school at this point asking for a small bump? Or has the ship sailed
I did this and it worked for me.
+1

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Forgot to share this. Back in March (I think?) I went from 38k a year at Wash U to a full ride.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Went from 35,000/year to full tuition at BU. I originally applied for the ED binding full scholarship and I also made it clear in my negotiation email that I would definitely attend if I could get more money so I think that helped. GPA/LSAT above 75ths.

Good luck everyone!! It really does work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OtisRedding24

New

Post by OtisRedding24 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:45 am

Has anyone ever attempted to negotiate a job at the university for their significant other as a part of this process?
Last edited by OtisRedding24 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:05 pm

OtisRedding24 wrote:Has anyone ever attempted to negotiate a job at the university for their significant other as a part of this process?
Probably not, because that'd be insane.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 am

OtisRedding24 wrote:Has anyone ever attempted to negotiate a job at the university for their significant other as a part of this process?
not that ive heard of. tell us if it works tho

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 am

This might work if the school was offering you a tenure-track position, but if they are just offering you admission I'm going to go out on a limb here and say nah.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”