Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scionb4

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by scionb4 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 am

If I haven't received any scholarship info from a particular school, should I email them asking about a scholarship? Or is that too bold?

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 am

I just wrote to a school and told them I thought they accidentally left out a zero. Also, I said they accidentally attached some page with gpa requirements. So far no response...

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 am

hotdoglaw wrote:I just wrote to a school and told them I thought they accidentally left out a zero. Also, I said they accidentally attached some page with gpa requirements. So far no response...
:lol:

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am

Snoozer2480 wrote:For someone who has successfully negotiated scholarship money, did you send the letter to the Financial Aid Office, or the Office of Admissions? Thanks in advance!
This....

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 am

egrubs wrote:Fortune favors the bold.
love the Virgil quote :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 am

Well-played. Going to law school for free, in San Diego, sounds, in the immortal words of Peter Griffin: "freakin' sweet".

Grats!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am

Katerina wrote:

I hesitate to mention that "bold" Mezentius lives for about two more paragraphs before being killed by Aeneas.

Otherwise, carry on.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 am

chango wrote:
Katerina wrote:

I hesitate to mention that "bold" Mezentius lives for about two more paragraphs before being killed by Aeneas.

Otherwise, carry on.

LOL NURD

(Good point. Be bold and arrogant and watch school smite you down.)

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Is it permissible to use LSN in anyway for negotiating? Say, most people with your numbers are getting 60k and you only got 15k, is there any reasonable way to touch on this knowledge when dealing with that school? Or should your argument be strictly personal?

If yes:

If you didnt apply to a school that has given people with ~your numbers 90-120k/yr, is there anyway to mention this in a negotiation with another school, or do you lose that chip by not applying?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm

nyyankees wrote:Is it permissible to use LSN in anyway for negotiating? Say, most people with your numbers are getting 60k and you only got 15k, is there any reasonable way to touch on this knowledge when dealing with that school? Or should your argument be strictly personal?

If yes:

If you didnt apply to a school that has given people with ~your numbers 90-120k/yr, is there anyway to mention this in a negotiation with another school, or do you lose that chip by not applying?
I wouldn't try it. They're going to say that LSN is self-reported data that's unreliable, etc. and say that numbers alone aren't what determines scholarship awards.

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:53 am

Anyone care to take a gander at my negotiation letter. I'll PM you if interested.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 am

i tried this at denver - they said that scholarships are only offered with the admissions letter - goddammit.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:40 am

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:Wow! Congrats man! I bet you feel pretty clever for that e-mail eh? They won't give if you don't ask.... Way to go, seriously that's so awesome.
the squeaky wheel gets the oil...

Congrats to OP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am

SenatorClayDavis wrote::shock:
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.......lol

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 am

SenatorClayDavis wrote:Do you think it is reasonable to ask your top choice school for money if none has been offered? :?
+1 on the question. any thought?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 am

Also, would you e-mail negotiations to admissions or financial aid?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 pm

daniel5215 wrote:
SenatorClayDavis wrote:Do you think it is reasonable to ask your top choice school for money if none has been offered? :?
+1 on the question. any thought?
If it really would make a difference. Will you go to your #2 choice if they DON'T offer you money? If so, then you can honestly tell them (paraphrase) "Look, I'd really like to go to your school, but my #2 choice has offered me money, so I'll be going there unless you can throw me a bone."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 pm

nyskidude wrote:Also, would you e-mail negotiations to admissions or financial aid?
Admissions, they are in charge of deciding that. Try to email the head of admissions.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm going to try to use (on top of other things) my scholly at tOSU to get something a little higher from other schools outside the t20. As well as being higher than any of the other schools I am using it for, the fact that I can get in-state tuition after 1 year makes it so the price differential is even greater. Would that be okay to mention? The scholarship may only be a couple thousand dollars different, but the in-state tuition is a big jump.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Notor wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Also, would you e-mail negotiations to admissions or financial aid?
Admissions, they are in charge of deciding that. Try to email the head of admissions.
It seems to depend on the school, really. At NYU, it seems that everything money-related goes through the FinAid office. I would email the admissions office but ask them to redirect your question to FinAid if appropriate.

mxc

New

Post by mxc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm

For those who have been successful, in scholarship negotiations, is it customary to include specific information on exact scholarship amount and if so, did you include proof (scholarship letter, etc)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

mxc wrote:For those who have been successful, in scholarship negotiations, is it customary to include specific information on exact scholarship amount and if so, did you include proof (scholarship letter, etc)?
Would also like to know. Would it be wise to mention the lack of renewal stipulations, if applicable?

BearTerritory

New

Post by BearTerritory » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi everyone, looking to send in a letter i wrote asap to match a school that offered me more with the same rank. Should i just put the message in the body of the email or send the letter as an attachment (pdf). Also, if i do send it in pdf, do you guys think i should make it look like a real letter with the schools name address etc... on the top or just start it with dear xyz, give me money. also, i am going to include a scan of the other offer

thanks

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

BearTerritory wrote:Hi everyone, looking to send in a letter i wrote asap to match a school that offered me more with the same rank. Should i just put the message in the body of the email or send the letter as an attachment (pdf). Also, if i do send it in pdf, do you guys think i should make it look like a real letter with the schools name address etc... on the top or just start it with dear xyz, give me money. also, i am going to include a scan of the other offer

thanks

I personally would dispense with the razzle dazzle and just send them a succinct email. A scan of the other offer strikes me as a tad douchey: it implies that you think they don't trust your word, and therefore seems a bit preemptive/presumptuous. I wouldn't offer up proof unless asked. But maybe I'm in the minority? What do other people think?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

chango wrote:
BearTerritory wrote:Hi everyone, looking to send in a letter i wrote asap to match a school that offered me more with the same rank. Should i just put the message in the body of the email or send the letter as an attachment (pdf). Also, if i do send it in pdf, do you guys think i should make it look like a real letter with the schools name address etc... on the top or just start it with dear xyz, give me money. also, i am going to include a scan of the other offer

thanks

I personally would dispense with the razzle dazzle and just send them a succinct email. A scan of the other offer strikes me as a tad douchey: it implies that you think they don't trust your word, and therefore seems a bit preemptive/presumptuous. I wouldn't offer up proof unless asked. But maybe I'm in the minority? What do other people think?
I agree. Schools will trust your word; sending a scan is unnecessary and a bit douchey.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”