Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheKisSquared

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Remus wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?
Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.
OK. Anything I can do in the meantime?
Make sure all of your aid forms are submitted, other than that, not really.

Remus

New

Post by Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:59 pm

OK Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Remus

New

Post by Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:00 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?
Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.
OK. Anything I can do in the meantime?
Make sure all of your aid forms are submitted, other than that, not really.
Thanks! Appreciate the help.

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yenisey

Bronze

Post by yenisey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

gazorpazorp wrote:
gsy987 wrote:Just an anecdote about negotiating working:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

WUSTL: 40k
GW: 25k
Minny: 35k
BC: 25k
Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!
Hey, can you clarify what you mean by a "half" scholarship?
WUSTL 40K is comparable to Michigan 25K. No wonder.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 am

yenisey

Bronze

Post by yenisey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 am

gazorpazorp wrote:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!
He means half-tuition scholly, I think.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 am

yenisey wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:

Admit at NW

He means half-tuition scholly, I think.
That is correct, sorry if I was unclear! And yes, I did negotiate from nothing (which sometimes is easier to do than negotiating when the school already gives you something.)

Also, I guess you could say WUSTL is comparable, though WUSTL has had a kind of wild cycle, from what I've been reading and seeing. Basically, it looks like they admitted everyone above a 167 and threw huge amounts of money at anyone above a 168, regardless of GPA & softs. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who used a huge WUSTL offer against another school!

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:17 am

I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AnonymousPython

New

Post by AnonymousPython » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:41 am

Can anyone provide me some negotiation advice over PM?

I'd prefer not to share too many details in the post, but the schools I'm seriously considering and to which I currently have offers of varying amounts are NYU, NW, Duke and Mich. NYU is my top choice (I already live in NYC with a gainfully employed s/o, and NYC big law is the post-graduation goal), but NW just offered me a windfall. First scholarship acceptance deadline is NW on 4/18 so time is precious. Will share more details over PM,

Thanks!

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:07 pm

lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?
I certainly hope they're taking the new rankings into account!

As far as multiple deposits though, yellow flag - if your offer from USC was like mine, you can't have a deposit down at any other school by the 17th. If UVA's shows up on that interschool deposit database or whatever, your USC scholarship will be revoked. If that's not the case with your offer, then cool, but reread your offer letter to be safe.

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Holodigm wrote:
lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

I certainly hope they're taking the new rankings into account!

As far as multiple deposits though, yellow flag - if your offer from USC was like mine, you can't have a deposit down at any other school by the 17th. If UVA's shows up on that interschool deposit database or whatever, your USC scholarship will be revoked. If that's not the case with your offer, then cool, but reread your offer letter to be safe.
Wow! Thank you SO much! I just read my letter again and saw that! I would've been doomed lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t14ohlehdoit

New

Post by t14ohlehdoit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 am

What would incline GULC to up their award: full ride at UT or acceptance at Columbia (possibly at sticker - haven't gotten my aid package yet). I have one week to accept GULC's offer of 120k, and I don't want to pass up this opportunity waiting for Columbia then end up paying sticker at either institution.

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:06 pm

I received a bump in my scholarship offer last Tuesday, March 27 that I still felt was pretty low. I don't have any new scholarship offers or anything, but I was thinking of sending a second negotiation email tomorrow, again stressing the reasons this school is my top choice. I figured it can't hurt. But is tomorrow too soon? It'd be 6 days. If not, when's the best time to try to negotiate again?

missie

New

Post by missie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:17 am

lawyergirl94 wrote:I received a bump in my scholarship offer last Tuesday, March 27 that I still felt was pretty low. I don't have any new scholarship offers or anything, but I was thinking of sending a second negotiation email tomorrow, again stressing the reasons this school is my top choice. I figured it can't hurt. But is tomorrow too soon? It'd be 6 days. If not, when's the best time to try to negotiate again?
Don't wait, do it!

yunjh2725

New

Post by yunjh2725 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Last edited by yunjh2725 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greenapples

Bronze

Post by greenapples » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm

I sent an email to my school's financial aid office last Friday re possible merit scholarship and I haven't heard back yet.

Is it okay to give them a quick call? The school I'm using to wager has a deadline of 4/1 but I got it extended to 4/8. Thanks guys!!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm

greenapples wrote:I sent an email to my school's financial aid office last Friday re possible merit scholarship and I haven't heard back yet.

Is it okay to give them a quick call? The school I'm using to wager has a deadline of 4/1 but I got it extended to 4/8. Thanks guys!!
Don't sound desperate. Give them a few days. Negotiating is about have the other party believe you have other options, which doesn't work if you sound like you're begging.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:51 pm

Update for my negotiations, 4 schools total, 2 via forms, 2 via email. 1st email no bump but would look at it after first seat deposit. 2nd email requested copies of other offers, I never responded, 3 days later bumped me up 10k/yr to 2k short of a full ride. Both form schools have yet to respond.

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:40 am

One of my schools replied to my letter and said no bump... A few days later bumped me from 32-36k.. Should I email again now in hopes of bump to full?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bananagram5

New

Post by bananagram5 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

What does everyone think re: request in the body of an email vs. attaching a more formal "letter" to the email?

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:26 pm

bananagram5 wrote:What does everyone think re: request in the body of an email vs. attaching a more formal "letter" to the email?
just send them an email. I am firmly anti attached PDFs unless specifically requested.

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:57 pm

adj8103 wrote:One of my schools replied to my letter and said no bump... A few days later bumped me from 32-36k.. Should I email again now in hopes of bump to full?
Well, I emailed them. Within the day, they responded with no bump.... but they also did that last time and I received one anyway.....meh...

matrim133

New

Post by matrim133 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am

Last edited by matrim133 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”