Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
xz01

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by xz01 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:59 pm

How long has it taken for schools to get back to you when you sent a negotiation email?

I sent one about a week and a half ago to Georgetown and have had no response. And I sent an email to Michigan 2 days ago and have not received anything yet.

greenapples

Bronze

Post by greenapples » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Egzon wrote:How long has it taken for schools to get back to you when you sent a negotiation email?

I sent one about a week and a half ago to Georgetown and have had no response. And I sent an email to Michigan 2 days ago and have not received anything yet.
It's been a week since I sent an email to Michigan and I didn't get any reply too. I think the standard is couple weeks.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:26 pm

For the record, I negotiated with SMU and got a bump, also more than 30k with just a good standing stip. it is not impossible!

cc1012

Bronze

Post by cc1012 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:32 pm

NW: $150k
Mich: $120k
H: $11.5k for first year
Cornell: $105k
WUSTL: full + $5k/year

Is there any way that I can get Michigan, NW, or Cornell to full tuition? I have sent my NW and H offers to Cornell to try and get a scholarship bump and am waiting to hear back.

Stats: 169, 3.75 URM

sisyphus

New

Post by sisyphus » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:23 am

Anyone had luck negotiating with HYS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missie

New

Post by missie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:38 am

I'm looking for advice about double depositing to negotiate with Georgetown - anyone willing to share please pm!

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:29 pm

sisyphus wrote:Anyone had luck negotiating with HYS?
Since they only give need based aid, they do not negotiate. I believe you can appeal your financial aid decision, but I wouldn't expect much from that.

sisyphus

New

Post by sisyphus » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:08 pm

gamerish wrote:
sisyphus wrote:Anyone had luck negotiating with HYS?
Since they only give need based aid, they do not negotiate. I believe you can appeal your financial aid decision, but I wouldn't expect much from that.
An earlier poster from a few years ago mentioned the possibility, given the illusory distinction between need-based and merit-based (as described by said poster). Was wondering if anyone has had any luck

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Has anybody tried negotiating a second time with a school that says they only negotiate once? Is that frowned upon? If it's frowned upon do I really even have anything to lose by trying? Were you successful? Any tips?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

poptart123 wrote:Has anybody tried negotiating a second time with a school that says they only negotiate once? Is that frowned upon? If it's frowned upon do I really even have anything to lose by trying? Were you successful? Any tips?
I've done it and had it work. It really depends, as always, on your numbers and their cycle up to that point. Definitely try and don't be dissuaded by their claims to the contrary.

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am

Was able to increase my scholarship at GULC by 30k through following method:

1. Replied to original offer with request for an increase with no information about other offers. Response ten days later, $15k increase
2. Replied to that offer with Duke offer that was 7.5k higher than GULC's second offer and a full ride at WUSTL. Another 15k increase about a week later

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 am

Have 3 very similar offers from T14s (54k, 60k, 60k) - and one from a T20 (90k). One of the 60k offers is post-negotiation after taking the other 60k offer to a school that initially offered nothing. I'm going to the 54k school with the 60k and 90k offers, but feel as though I probably won't get more than 60k there as well.

I'd really like to squeeze more, but I'm at a standstill re: leverage. Any advice?

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am

Toodle-loo wrote:Have 3 very similar offers from T14s (54k, 60k, 60k) - and one from a T20 (90k). One of the 60k offers is post-negotiation after taking the other 60k offer to a school that initially offered nothing. I'm going to the 54k school with the 60k and 90k offers, but feel as though I probably won't get more than 60k there as well.

I'd really like to squeeze more, but I'm at a standstill re: leverage. Any advice?
This is a bit difficult without knowing school names, but I'm going to guess that the 54 is Duke since they do $ in weird intervals. They'll be open to working with you, but generally they aren't in the business of matching for the sake of matching. I believe their next notch after 60k is 67.5k, so you might be able to get them up to there if you have a good reason.

Which one is your first choice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 am

jewkidontheblock wrote:
Toodle-loo wrote:Have 3 very similar offers from T14s (54k, 60k, 60k) - and one from a T20 (90k). One of the 60k offers is post-negotiation after taking the other 60k offer to a school that initially offered nothing. I'm going to the 54k school with the 60k and 90k offers, but feel as though I probably won't get more than 60k there as well.

This is a bit difficult without knowing school names, but I'm going to guess that the 54 is Duke since they do $ in weird intervals. They'll be open to working with you, but generally they aren't in the business of matching for the sake of matching. I believe their next notch after 60k is 67.5k, so you might be able to get them up to there if you have a good reason.

Which one is your first choice?
Whichever gives me more money.... :mrgreen:

Half-kidding. Finances really are a top priority, though. That's probably not very helpful, I recognize.

Jumpman32

New

Post by Jumpman32 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Edit: Thanks !!
Last edited by Jumpman32 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Jumpman32 wrote:Hey everyone,

I need some advice. UCLA is my top choice (Born and raised in LA, would like to work here after grad as well), but offered me $45K. I got $95k from Vanderbilt, and UT gave me $25k + OOST waiver. All non-conditional. Both options have lower costs of tuition and lower cost of living so they are pretty enticing. I would not mind experiencing somewhere new for three years.

How would I go about negotiating their offer? I was wondering if I should mention that my mom works at the medical center on campus and my cousin is currently an undergrad. Also thinking of stating that I am willing to enter a binding decision to attend UCLA if they would give me $90K, or maybe even $75K. Any tips/advice?
Is the total COA after scholarship at UCLA similar to Vandy and UT? I'd make sure to calculate that info to present with your request, since it doesn't really matter if vandy gave you 95k if it'd still be more expensive to go there.

Beyond that, I think you should do everything you just mentioned. Sell them on yourself and your interest in UCLA, not just the numbers. And if there is a price point at which you would absolutely commit, I'd mention that too. They might not give it to you, but they may meet you halfway.

greenapples

Bronze

Post by greenapples » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:37 pm

I used my WUSTL 135k to negotiate with Michigan (initially zero scholly). I heard back from this week with 60K (20K per year)

I have no other schools to negotiate with, unless I get off waitlists at higher ranked or tier schools. I am overall pretty satisfied but am interested to hear other people's opinions! Is it a possibility to try to negotiate with them further solely based on my financial need?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jumpman32

New

Post by Jumpman32 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:10 pm

thebrownnote wrote:

I need some advice. UCLA is my top choice (Born and raised in LA, would like to work here after grad as well), but offered me $45K. I got $95k from Vanderbilt, and UT gave me $25k + OOST waiver. All non-conditional. Both options have lower costs of tuition and lower cost of living so they are pretty enticing. I would not mind experiencing somewhere new for three years.

How would I go about negotiating their offer? I was wondering if I should mention that my mom works at the medical center on campus and my cousin is currently an undergrad. Also thinking of stating that I am willing to enter a binding decision to attend UCLA if they would give me $90K, or maybe even $75K. Any tips/advice?
Is the total COA after scholarship at UCLA similar to Vandy and UT? I'd make sure to calculate that info to present with your request, since it doesn't really matter if vandy gave you 95k if it'd still be more expensive to go there.

Beyond that, I think you should do everything you just mentioned. Sell them on yourself and your interest in UCLA, not just the numbers. And if there is a price point at which you would absolutely commit, I'd mention that too. They might not give it to you, but they may meet you halfway.
It didn't work... Now things get tough

Holodigm

New

Post by Holodigm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Does negotiating before or after putting down a deposit become a factor for schools? Deadline is coming up and while I'd like better options, I'll go with what I got if forced.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Jumpman32 wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:

They didn't budge at all? I had these exact offers (save for 2k more from UT) and UCLA pumped me up to 70k/year plus guaranteed at least 4k for 1L summer if I do an unpaid PI internship

tezzeret

Bronze

Post by tezzeret » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

How successful have you guys been trying to get more $$$ after the deposit deadlines? I got hit with "additional funding availability after the April 15th seat deposit deadline" shtick so I'm just curious how likely and how much is still going around at that point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jumpman32

New

Post by Jumpman32 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
Jumpman32 wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:

They didn't budge at all? I had these exact offers (save for 2k more from UT) and UCLA pumped me up to 70k/year plus guaranteed at least 4k for 1L summer if I do an unpaid PI internship
They emailed again adding $12,500 to make it $57,500. Not bad I guess. You might have better stats than me so that could be it.

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marisacb1012

New

Post by marisacb1012 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 am

gazorpazorp wrote:So if a school shuts down my first inquiry for more $, is there a chance they might have a change of heart down the line if I continue to politely prod?

What's extra frustrating is to see other TLS posters who were initially offered $0 from this institution (and who have less leverage) being bumped up to a half tuition scholly after one email -- while I'm sitting here with an initial offer of less than half tuition, and they apparently won't budge.
I have the same question. Got denied today and am wondering if there's any way to ask again.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:21 am

marisacb1012 wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:So if a school shuts down my first inquiry for more $, is there a chance they might have a change of heart down the line if I continue to politely prod?

What's extra frustrating is to see other TLS posters who were initially offered $0 from this institution (and who have less leverage) being bumped up to a half tuition scholly after one email -- while I'm sitting here with an initial offer of less than half tuition, and they apparently won't budge.
I have the same question. Got denied today and am wondering if there's any way to ask again.
it heavily depends on the school. I would ask again as scholarship deadlines pass (hence they know how much money is 'free') if you're committed there has been success with asking after the deposit deadline (again they have a better idea of how much scholly money is unused) and again closer to the start of school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”