Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hand

Gold

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 pm

spencercross wrote:Is there anything beyond a simple "Thank you" that's expected in response to an increase your scholarship money after you requested a reassessment? I know this is getting pedantic, but I'm a little gun shy about talking to admissions people lately.
you can add something along the lines of "this has certainly made your school more attractive, I hope to make up my mind soon"

FlamingDragon

New

Post by FlamingDragon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:38 am

KMart wrote:
whodatninja wrote:Anyone know if Chicago generally will entertain increasing money with an offer from NW? I got $165k from NW and $120k from Chicago and I'd like to get it matched if possible. I also got $120k from Duke and I'm considering using the difference in CoL between Durham and Hyde Park to try and get more from Chicago.
I'm not entirely sure but my .02 would be that NW is a better school for non-academic work. It's a bit more practical in their education than uChi which slights theoretical. uChi is a great school, but if they don't change their offer NU is not a bad choice, especially at that price. River North can quickly make the cost even, but there are plenty of cheaper neighborhoods with accessibility to NU.
This is clearly a NW student. The quality of UChi and NW are not even comparable - Chi is in an entirely different class and dominate NW in transactional work and biglaw in general. This years stats show UChi and Columbia on top once again for biglaw placement. So saying NW is better for non academic work is totally idiotic. NW gets second pick throughout the city in interviews and are always being compared to UC students so take that into account. That said, it's still a good school, that comment was just offensively wrong.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:31 am

a t20 school offered me 120k and a t25 offered 50k. I'm going to email the t25 school to ask to be reconsidered but should I mention that I have a better offer from another school in the first email or is that kind of rude?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:15 am

dasani13 wrote:a t20 school offered me 120k and a t25 offered 50k. I'm going to email the t25 school to ask to be reconsidered but should I mention that I have a better offer from another school in the first email or is that kind of rude?
Just say you have 120k from said T20. They know the rankings, you don't need to remind them.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:20 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
dasani13 wrote:a t20 school offered me 120k and a t25 offered 50k. I'm going to email the t25 school to ask to be reconsidered but should I mention that I have a better offer from another school in the first email or is that kind of rude?
Just say you have 120k from said T20. They know the rankings, you don't need to remind them.
but do you think it's ok to mention it in the the first email that I send asking to be reconsidered or should I wait until they ask me for other offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:43 am

What is "mention"?

"Dear School X,

I've been offered a scholarship of 120k at School Y, which, might I remind you, is rank 17. Your school, sitting at the inferior rank of 24, has only offered 50k. I would only deign to consider attending your institution should you at least match that offer."

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 am

I think you're missing the point PNJ.

Yes, mention it. "Finances will play a very important role in my decisions and t20 offered me a 120k scholarship, therefore I'd like to ask for reconsideration" Attach the proof to the email.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:25 am

IsThisForReal wrote:I think you're missing the point PNJ.

Yes, mention it. "Finances will play a very important role in my decisions and t20 offered me a 120k scholarship, therefore I'd like to ask for reconsideration" Attach the proof to the email.
sent! thank you! :)

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 pm

So School X reconsidered my scholarship and did increase it. However, they still did not match School Y - a higher ranked peer school (with similar COL) that was included in the negotiation email.

Is it rude/tactless to basically say "Thank you, but I still would need more money to attend"? Has anyone done something along these lines? PM if you'd rather stay private.

TYIA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:34 pm

secadc11 wrote:So School X reconsidered my scholarship and did increase it. However, they still did not match School Y - a higher ranked peer school (with similar COL) that was included in the negotiation email.

Is it rude/tactless to basically say "Thank you, but I still would need more money to attend"? Has anyone done something along these lines? PM if you'd rather stay private.

TYIA
I know somebody (not on TLS) that was in this situation but with two similarly ranked schools. They gave School Y's offer (~120K) to School X, who then bumped up their offer to ~60K IIRC. They sent an email saying basically 'Thank you. I'm still very interested in School X. I understand that scholarship funds are a fluid resource and I hope that you'll keep me in mind if more funds become available.' A week later School X came back with a ~120K offer.

I think that it is rude to say 'I need more money to attend' but you can get the desired outcome in a non-rude and effective way. I wouldn't bring up School Y again. School X already has that info and I can't think of a non-rude/offensive way to bring it up again.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:48 pm

fra wrote:
secadc11 wrote:So School X reconsidered my scholarship and did increase it. However, they still did not match School Y - a higher ranked peer school (with similar COL) that was included in the negotiation email.

TYIA
I know somebody (not on TLS) that was in this situation but with two similarly ranked schools. They gave School Y's offer (~120K) to School X, who then bumped up their offer to ~60K IIRC. They sent an email saying basically 'Thank you. I'm still very interested in School X. I understand that scholarship funds are a fluid resource and I hope that you'll keep me in mind if more funds become available.' A week later School X came back with a ~120K offer.

I think that it is rude to say 'I need more money to attend' but you can get the desired outcome in a non-rude and effective way. I wouldn't bring up School Y again. School X already has that info and I can't think of a non-rude/offensive way to bring it up again.
Thanks for this; that's a good way of phrasing that.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:05 pm

@dasani13: Is the lower ranked school a public & the higher ranked private ? If so, compare total COA for each in order to better frame your request. (Thinking, for example, Alabama & Emory.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@dasani13: Is the lower ranked school a public & the higher ranked private ? If so, compare total COA for each in order to better frame your request. (Thinking, for example, Alabama & Emory.)
PM'd you.

legallybrunette93

New

Post by legallybrunette93 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:45 pm

I know a lot of people have talked about double depositing to negotiate after deposit deadlines, but has anyone ever triple deposited? is that an ok thing to do?

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 pm

some schools don't want you to have multiple deposits

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:09 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
90convoy wrote:some schools don't want you to have multiple deposits
Yes but I have never heard of anywhere making any distinction between double-depositing and triple-depositing+.
I think Spivey wrote an article saying he never heard of people having admissions offer revoked for double depositing.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 pm

One of my top schools has been asking most people who inquire about scholarship increases to wait until after their first seat deposit and ask again. I plan to reach out to them at the end of this week myself, and am expecting them to tell me the same thing. The problem is that they are absolutely, 100% not a financially viable option with their current offer, so I have no incentive to put down a seat deposit. Assuming they do ask me to wait, does it seem appropriate to point out that the position they're putting me in? They would essentially be asking me to gamble $500 on the hope not just that they'll increase, but that they'll increase to a viable amount and I'm not sure how they'll respond if I point it out (in a diplomatic way, of course).

Hopefully they'll give me a straight yes or no and it won't be an issue, but I'd love to get some perspective just in case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 pm

spencercross wrote:One of my top schools has been asking most people who inquire about scholarship increases to wait until after their first seat deposit and ask again. I plan to reach out to them at the end of this week myself, and am expecting them to tell me the same thing. The problem is that they are absolutely, 100% not a financially viable option with their current offer, so I have no incentive to put down a seat deposit. Assuming they do ask me to wait, does it seem appropriate to point out that the position they're putting me in? They would essentially be asking me to gamble $500 on the hope not just that they'll increase, but that they'll increase to a viable amount and I'm not sure how they'll respond if I point it out (in a diplomatic way, of course).

Hopefully they'll give me a straight yes or no and it won't be an issue, but I'd love to get some perspective just in case.
Ask for the option to "skip" the first deposit until you have an answer. If its UCLA, PM me.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 pm

mec896 wrote:
spencercross wrote:One of my top schools has been asking most people who inquire about scholarship increases to wait until after their first seat deposit and ask again. I plan to reach out to them at the end of this week myself, and am expecting them to tell me the same thing. The problem is that they are absolutely, 100% not a financially viable option with their current offer, so I have no incentive to put down a seat deposit. Assuming they do ask me to wait, does it seem appropriate to point out that the position they're putting me in? They would essentially be asking me to gamble $500 on the hope not just that they'll increase, but that they'll increase to a viable amount and I'm not sure how they'll respond if I point it out (in a diplomatic way, of course).

Ask for the option to "skip" the first deposit until you have an answer. If its UCLA, PM me.
Ah, interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 am

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 am

I just got an extension on a deposit deadline but was told the school would like to speak to me on the phone about what factors are preventing me from making a decision. Anyone have experience with this? Trying to figure out what questions to expect/what to say.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”