Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NukinFutz

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by NukinFutz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:18 pm

I see. Makes more sense. Best of luck.

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

I want to negotiate my scholarship ASAP, but I don't know what I am getting yet from Notre Dame, and I want to use that to leverage my scholarship at UCI. How do I go about doing this/will they even budge without me saying how much I got from Notre Dame?

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:I want to negotiate my scholarship ASAP, but I don't know what I am getting yet from Notre Dame, and I want to use that to leverage my scholarship at UCI. How do I go about doing this/will they even budge without me saying how much I got from Notre Dame?
I mean you can ask them, but dont mention ND if you have no money from them yet.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtkr

New

Post by rtkr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Last edited by rtkr on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

StephArizona

New

Post by StephArizona » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm going to negotiate with a school and they sent me a form, I asked about timing and they suggested once before seat deposits and again afterwards.

I didn't think about that but it makes sense... they should have more $$ at that point. This could work well if you have a WL somewhere higher ranked and might give you the best of both worlds. I never would have thought of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm

StephArizona wrote:I'm going to negotiate with a school and they sent me a form, I asked about timing and they suggested once before seat deposits and again afterwards.

I didn't think about that but it makes sense... they should have more $$ at that point. This could work well if you have a WL somewhere higher ranked and might give you the best of both worlds. I never would have thought of it.
What school is this? Thanks!

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Question: who do you address your negotiating scholarship email to? Is it the financial aid department?

QUIZ

New

Post by QUIZ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:Question: who do you address your negotiating scholarship email to? Is it the financial aid department?
Dean of admissions or whoever's name was listed in your initial scholarship/acceptance email.

newyorkgirl6295

New

Post by newyorkgirl6295 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:01 pm

How long does it generally take to hear back from schools ?? I just sent two negotiation emails yesterday and I'm already impatient LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DKM

New

Post by DKM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Any tips on using an improved lsat score during the negotiation process?

I'm in at one of my targets with 75% scholarship and am still waiting on acceptances from two other schools. I applied while registered for the Feb Lsat so I'm not sure if they're a bit slow or if they are just waiting on my new score before making a decision. I'm almost positive that I got a better score on the Feb test than I have gotten before, so what's the best way to point this out in an e-mail? I can't really do anything right now until I get my new score and acceptances from these last two schools. I just assume that the score and acceptances are just going to get dumped on me at the same time and I'll have a busy few days :D

Neilp

New

Post by Neilp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 am

How did you go about wording this to the school? And did you do it via email?

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Is it still that time of the cycle to negotiate? Or is it too late? I'm going crazy because most of my schools stillbhavent gotten back to me, and the few that have only gave me 50%-80% off tuition...I need better deals before the seat deposit deadline comes up and I have to chose one.

Any schools that offer a stipend?

sxl431

New

Post by sxl431 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Bumping this up for this year.
Does anyone have a feel of if schools this cycle will be more willing or not to negotiate?
Other than other scholarship packages, do schools consider that for a full time professional, committing full time to school, means I'm giving up a large part of my current income? I'm a founder and executive of my company. Especially due to this Covid-19 situation. Could this be used as a bargaining chip?
Juggling between two peer 2/3 scholarships, one in-state, one out of state. Would like to attend the in-state one full-ride + stipends. Not eligible for need-based I think, since I only have a pending green card application, one of the other reasons I would like to remain in state.
Any advice?
Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Charliehardy

New

Post by Charliehardy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:02 am

I have been admitted to ASU's law program with a scholarship, and currently they are my first choice. However, I will most likely have to go with whatever school ends up being most affordable. ASU did offer me a scholarship, but it really isn't enough for me to afford it. Can anyone offer me advice on how to negotiate their offer? Should I wait for other schools' offers, or should I email right away?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Consider telling ASU what you have shared here--that ASU is your first choice law school, but that you cannot afford to attend unless you are offered a larger merit scholarship. If both your LSAT & GPA are above median,then you should have a strong chance of receiving a higher offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”