Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Xs20

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Xs20 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:11 pm

megagnarley wrote:How does one approach peer schools that offer equal money?
Is their a substantial cost of living difference between the locations of the two schools?

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Xs20 wrote:
Is their a substantial cost of living difference between the locations of the two schools?
More importantly, is there an amount of $ that would absolutely seal the deal and make you commit this week?

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 pm

jym_dawg wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
More importantly, is there an amount of $ that would absolutely seal the deal and make you commit this week?
I think he was getting at how to make his case for a school to give him more money without having leverage in the form of a higher offer from a peer school. Just telling a school "I'll sign the papers right now if you give me X more dollars" isn't very convincing unless you give them a reason to do so.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Xs20 wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
I think he was getting at how to make his case for a school to give him more money without having leverage in the form of a higher offer from a peer school. Just telling a school "I'll sign the papers right now if you give me X more dollars" isn't very convincing unless you give them a reason to do so.
Precisely this.

Point well taken prior, that if I could sign now with a certain increase I'd have some leverage, but a raise would not necessarily seal the deal for me in this case.

The schools are Mich and Duke, so COL is about equal, and both offered $67,500.

Strategy?.

Goodman

New

Post by Goodman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:16 pm

I was hoping someone could offer some advice. Here's my situation:

In with 90k at UCLA, in with nothing at NYU, held at Columbia, and no word from anywhere else. I want to negotiate with NYU, but I know the UCLA offer doesn't give me much leverage. My numbers are a little above both of NYU's medians. I am hopeful that more offers will come my way. Should I begin the negotiation process now? Or should I wait until I have heard from more schools?

Thanks, and I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shedl001

New

Post by shedl001 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:29 pm

How long should it take for a school to respond to your letter (emailed)? or How long should you wait? Im new to the process so any tips would be appreciated?

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Looking to get UH to match my offer from Tulane. Any tips? They have already upped it once. Tips for second steps appreciated.

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 am

Jredelman15 wrote:Looking to get UH to match my offer from Tulane. Any tips? They have already upped it once. Tips for second steps appreciated.
UH as in hawaii? If so, please pm with details on how!

au2012

New

Post by au2012 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Sent my scholarship negotiation letter and and was told that the school does not usually negotiate scholarships, but the admissions assistant was going to pass it on to the admissions committee. We'll see how it goes...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

I currently have a 45k offer from Fordham and a 30k offer from GW. Would GW consider Fordham a peer? Other than their rankings (20 v Tie-29), they seem to be very similar schools, and Fordham might have the edge in employment prospects.

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:39 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:Looking to get UH to match my offer from Tulane. Any tips? They have already upped it once. Tips for second steps appreciated.
UH as in hawaii? If so, please pm with details on how!
I'd think the UH in this case is Houston.

amf728

New

Post by amf728 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey everyone, I have a general question. I'm starting to put together a scholarship negotiation email and I was wondering how many peer schools I should list that have given me substantial offers; is it bad to list too many? I don't want to come across boastful or ungrateful. I'm applying in the NYC area so there are many competing schools within the same general ranking group. Some of my offers are at slightly lower ranked schools, but are full-tuition, and some offers are for higher ranked schools, but less money.

Thanks!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Was also able to negotiate a scholarship with MSU so its definately possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NIUmelk

New

Post by NIUmelk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I'm currently torn between UIUC and U of Minnesota. UIUC offered me 50% off in-state tuition, while Minnesota offered me 16K. Do you think it is possible to negotiate more out of Minnesota? With CoL aside, Minnesota would be 13K more per year in tuition. I'm thinking of telling them that if they can match or at least come close to making up the difference that I will send in my seat deposit right then and there. What do you guys think?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Hopefully you knowledgeable folks can offer some insight and good advice.

So, here's my situation...

Of the schools I have heard back from so far, these are the schools I am seriously considering: Cincinnati, Saint Louis University, Case Western, Cardozo, and Florida International.

I am still waiting to hear back from George Washington (part-time), Brooklyn (part-time), William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and WUSTL. I applied to those schools simply because I was given fee waivers late in the cycle, so why not?

Also, here are my numbers -- 3.1 and 156 URM.

So, I want to negotiate with the schools that I am seriously considering, but from what I can understand, its better to negotiate with other peer schools first to negotiate with your top schools for more money. I have also been accepted to these schools and the scholarships offered are included:

DePaul - 45K no stips

Michigan State - 25% no stips

Cleveland - Marshall - 60K top 50% stip

Stetson - 36K no stips

Nova Southeastern (I know) - 54K 2.8 stip

UMiami - 0K =(

St. Thomas (Miami) - 84K 2.7 stip

I was hoping you all would help with how I attack this negotiation process. Should I use UM, NSU, and Stetson toward FIU for more money? Use DePaul, Case, and SLU toward Cincy? Which schools do I use for Cardozo? Etc.

Here are the scholarship offers from my top schools:

Case - 50K (15 per year with an additional 5K stipend 1L year)

Cincinnati - 19.5K (7.5 1L; 6 2L & 3L - but, UC also offers the GMR program, where if you claim residency in certain Kentucky and Ohio counties up to 2 weeks previous to enrollment, you receive in-state tuition)

SLU - 57K (19K per year - but I would live with my fiance who lives five minutes from campus, so limited COL)

Cardozo - 54K (18K per year - high COL in NYC obviously)

FIU - 15K (5K grant per year - but I would live in an apartment my grandfather is offering to me. I am from Fort Lauderdale, FL, so I receive in-state tuition, as well)

Since I am waiting to hear back from those schools I listed way above in this message, I would only consider GW and WUSTL if admitted to those schools. I doubt any scholarship money would be thrown my way from any of the schools. GW and WUSTL would be the only ones I would possibly consider attending at sticker price.

So.... how should I attack this? Should I start negotiating now or is it too early still for the schools to feel pressured to offer more money?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing back from you.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Hopefully you knowledgeable folks can offer some insight and good advice.

Of the schools I have heard back from so far, these are the schools I am seriously considering: Cincinnati, Saint Louis University, Case Western, Cardozo, and Florida International.

I am still waiting to hear back from George Washington (part-time), Brooklyn (part-time), William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and WUSTL. I applied to those schools simply because I was given fee waivers late in the cycle, so why not?

So, I want to negotiate with the schools that I am seriously considering, but from what I can understand, its better to negotiate with other peer schools first to negotiate with your top schools for more money. I have also been accepted to these schools and the scholarships offered are included:

DePaul - 45K no stips

Stetson - 36K no stips

UMiami - 0K =(

I was hoping you all would help with how I attack this negotiation process. Should I use UM, NSU, and Stetson toward FIU for more money? Use DePaul, Case, and SLU toward Cincy? Which schools do I use for Cardozo? Etc.

Cincinnati - 19.5K (7.5 1L; 6 2L & 3L - but, UC also offers the GMR program, where if you claim residency in certain Kentucky and Ohio counties up to 2 weeks previous to enrollment, you receive in-state tuition)

SLU - 57K (19K per year - but I would live with my fiance who lives five minutes from campus, so limited COL)

FIU - 15K (5K grant per year - but I would live in an apartment my grandfather is offering to me. I am from Fort Lauderdale, FL, so I receive in-state tuition, as well)

Since I am waiting to hear back from those schools I listed way above in this message, I would only consider GW and WUSTL if admitted to those schools. I doubt any scholarship money would be thrown my way from any of the schools. GW and WUSTL would be the only ones I would possibly consider attending at sticker price.

So.... how should I attack this? Should I start negotiating now or is it too early still for the schools to feel pressured to offer more money?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing back from you.
Personally i was too overwhelmed by sheer number of schools/offers to really see a detailed strategy here.. My advice would be to group them by market and/or ranking. And then leverage the schools in those groups against each other. So for example maybe pit the Midwestern schools against one another etc....But in truth the whole "peer" aspect is less important than people make it out to be. Any competing offer is enough to ask a school to increase your award, especially if the competing offer is better and is at a school with cheaper COL.

Also i would highly discourage paying sticker for WUSTL or GW..neither school has the placement to justify the debt. And GW's COL is crazy expensive. I would prioritize the school that's in a market that you'd wanna live in and that's relatively cheap. SLU seems like a pretty good deal just because of your fiance and the scholly.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 pm

cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Hopefully you knowledgeable folks can offer some insight and good advice.

DePaul - 45K no stips

Stetson - 36K no stips

UMiami - 0K =(

Personally i was too overwhelmed by sheer number of schools/offers to really see a detailed strategy here.. My advice would be to group them by market and/or ranking. And then leverage the schools in those groups against each other. So for example maybe pit the Midwestern schools against one another etc....But in truth the whole "peer" aspect is less important than people make it out to be. Any competing offer is enough to ask a school to increase your award, especially if the competing offer is better and is at a school with cheaper COL.

Also i would highly discourage paying sticker for WUSTL or GW..neither school has the placement to justify the debt. And GW's COL is crazy expensive. I would prioritize the school that's in a market that you'd wanna live in and that's relatively cheap. SLU seems like a pretty good deal just because of your fiance and the scholly.
Sorry about the overwhelming amount of info I provided. I just wanted to explain it all, but I guess it was too much :/ this is twice tonight that you help me out with some good advice. Thanks a lot. Do you think it's still too early to begin negotiation, or should I begin now?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cc6148

New

Post by cc6148 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

DePaul - 45K no stips

Stetson - 36K no stips

UMiami - 0K =(

Sorry about the overwhelming amount of info I provided. I just wanted to explain it all, but I guess it was too much :/ this is twice tonight that you help me out with some good advice. Thanks a lot. Do you think it's still too early to begin negotiation, or should I begin now?

+1
Is it too early to start? Seat deposit deadline is April 1st for me.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:09 pm

cc6148 wrote: +1
Is it too early to start? Seat deposit deadline is April 1st for me.
It would ultimately depend on the details of your offer and what schools you have on the table.

If you go back a few pages, manofjustice provides a pretty good argument regarding timing. But in general you can either 1. stall as much as you can...2. or start early in the hopes of finishing negotiations earlier.

Different people will tell u different things, but the conventional wisdom ITT seems be to stall. Keep in mind that no matter when you start, schools won't really have the ability to reconsider scholly awards until the first or second deposits have passed. So prepare to pay multiple deposits

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:06 pm

I started negotiating already, and I've had decent results so far. I'm going to try renegotiating for more $ later on before deposit deadline, let's see how that goes...

btp

New

Post by btp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Is there an area where someone has given a detailed summary for negotiating scholarships? It seems tedious to read through 900+ posts to figure out negotiation strategies. Just wondering if someone in particular has made a particularly great post or if there is an article elsewhere on TLS. Thank you in advance. Hopefully others can benefit from this as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 pm

btp wrote:Is there an area where someone has given a detailed summary for negotiating scholarships? It seems tedious to read through 900+ posts to figure out negotiation strategies. Just wondering if someone in particular has made a particularly great post or if there is an article elsewhere on TLS. Thank you in advance. Hopefully others can benefit from this as well.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm

I sent my letter of negotiation to one of the schools. They went from giving me nothing to $30,000 total. I was given a little more at a higher-ranked school... do you guys think I should ask if they could match the other school's offer now, or does it seem ungrateful.... or try again later?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

whsy wrote:I sent my letter of negotiation to one of the schools. They went from giving me nothing to $30,000 total. I was given a little more at a higher-ranked school... do you guys think I should ask if they could match the other school's offer now, or does it seem ungrateful.... or try again later?
try again after deposit deadline

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Xs20 wrote:
btp wrote:Is there an area where someone has given a detailed summary for negotiating scholarships? It seems tedious to read through 900+ posts to figure out negotiation strategies. Just wondering if someone in particular has made a particularly great post or if there is an article elsewhere on TLS. Thank you in advance. Hopefully others can benefit from this as well.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373
I briefly looked through that post a couple of times, still have a question. Am I supposed to be compiling a PDF w/ the scholly offers I am negotiating with, or do I just say School A gave me XXX amount of money?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”