Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NikiShiz

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by NikiShiz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
NikiShiz wrote:Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

I don't really know, but if I were you I would seriously look into retaking and/or finding an alternate career path. Those options are not good.
I'm retaking in June and likely re-applying next cycle, I was just weighing my options for fall.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Last edited by yodamiked on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Oh hey, an update for this thread.

I was initially offered $0 at GULC. I sent them my $105k offer from NU and they matched it.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm

TripTrip wrote:Oh hey, an update for this thread.

I was initially offered $0 at GULC. I sent them my $105k offer from NU and they matched it.
Should have sent them that 150k offer from UVA.

Still, it's GeorgeTTTown.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Oh hey, an update for this thread.

Should have sent them that 150k offer from UVA.

Still, it's GeorgeTTTown.
Yeah, that may have worked. However, I wouldn't attend Gtown over UVA if both were free. Even forgetting employment statistics for a minute, my life savings for COL will go twice as far in C'ville as it would in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jsjd1989

New

Post by jsjd1989 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm in kind of a weird situation.

If I have deposited at Uchicago, does that reduce my bargaining power? I have another offer that is slightly higher (deadline has not passed) and I would like to use it to hopefully get some more money. I'm wondering if depositing ruins your chances....

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 pm

How does one go about continuing negotiations once a school says they will not increase the offer?

FYI, Tried using 150k NU to bump my 60k UVA

ryantw

New

Post by ryantw » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Had 60,000 at Duke, used 60,000 at Georgetown, 120,000 at GW, 95,000 at Vandy, and 93,000 at UT Austin to increase Duke to 72,000!

sideoffries

New

Post by sideoffries » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Virginia is my #1 right now but it looks like they won't be offering me any $ because I haven't received an email from them this week. I have $45,000 from Michigan and $45,000 from Duke. What should I email them? It's just kind of awkward for me because I don't know 100% that I have been shut out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dolfan17

New

Post by dolfan17 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm

sideoffries wrote:Virginia is my #1 right now but it looks like they won't be offering me any $ because I haven't received an email from them this week. I have $45,000 from Michigan and $45,000 from Duke. What should I email them? It's just kind of awkward for me because I don't know 100% that I have been shut out.
+1 I'm in a very similar position with UVA

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm

UVA be messing with everyone out here, sucks for all of us..

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

If they're not going to up any schollys, just tell us. Not knowing is making it hard to plan.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:38 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:If they're not going to up any schollys, just tell us. Not knowing is making it hard to plan.
I think it is safe to assume the money pot is empty (at least for us). I will give them a call tomorrow and ask what's up. Maybe try calling Dean Richards today, y'all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PotLuck

Bronze

Post by PotLuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 pm

can you negotiate a current scholarship with a lower ranked school by using a waitlist at a significantly higher ranked one as leverage? For ex. a school in the 60s with a WL at a school in T15-17

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

PotLuck wrote:can you negotiate a current scholarship with a lower ranked school by using a waitlist at a significantly higher ranked one as leverage? For ex. a school in the 60s with a WL at a school in T15-17
Highly doubt that would work, sorry.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 pm

PotLuck wrote:can you negotiate a current scholarship with a lower ranked school by using a waitlist at a significantly higher ranked one as leverage? For ex. a school in the 60s with a WL at a school in T15-17
No. That's just bad form. What would you say? Up my scholarship or I'll continue to ride the waitlist?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm

I think I must really suck at negotiating. That and I've only tried with three schools, two of which were sure things. No love from the third one, which I really, really want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

shntn wrote:I think I must really suck at negotiating. That and I've only tried with three schools, two of which were sure things. No love from the third one, which I really, really want.
Which one do you really, really want? I've had luck with only 2 schools, got shut down by 2, and being ignored by 3...

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:If they're not going to up any schollys, just tell us. Not knowing is making it hard to plan.
I think it is safe to assume the money pot is empty (at least for us). I will give them a call tomorrow and ask what's up. Maybe try calling Dean Richards today, y'all?
If you call today, I will tell you everything you want to know about your father. Like where he got that money to buy you that sweet car.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Sorry if this has already been covered but would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk? Any advice is appreciated.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Rlabo wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered but would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk? Any advice is appreciated.
Yes. Cite vandys significantly better employment prospects and significantly lower cost of living as the 2 reasons why Fordham needs to up their offer. Keep in mind Fordham has a reputation of not negotiating.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered but would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk? Any advice is appreciated.
Yes. Cite vandys significantly better employment prospects and significantly lower cost of living as the 2 reasons why Fordham needs to up their offer. Keep in mind Fordham has a reputation of not negotiating.
Thanks!! and yes I've heard Fordham is known to be stingy and was surprised I got 90K to begin with. Other than the few full rides the give, do they even grant more than 90k?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Need some help. I have tried negotiating with this one school. I have sent them two emails asking for a raise in a shockingly small scholarship. Their response has both times been "we don't have the funds available..." I am not sure how else to approach this, but I really think I can squeeze a little more out of them before the second deposit deadline. I am honestly considering sending a "threat" out indicating that I will not be able to pay the deposit if I do not receive any more of a raise (which would not be a bluff).

I am willing to give more details on the school and amount offered via PM.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm

JXander wrote:Need some help. I have tried negotiating with this one school. I have sent them two emails asking for a raise in a shockingly small scholarship. Their response has both times been "we don't have the funds available..." I am not sure how else to approach this, but I really think I can squeeze a little more out of them before the second deposit deadline. I am honestly considering sending a "threat" out indicating that I will not be able to pay the deposit if I do not receive any more of a raise (which would not be a bluff).

I am willing to give more details on the school and amount offered via PM.
It definitely seems like you can get more out of them. Schools usually send out five or six denial letters before they're truly serious. A threat seems like the right call here. I would make the threat more substantial than a non-deposit though. Maybe you could kidnap the firstborn of an adcomm member or send them an envelope full of anthrax.

dewdawn

New

Post by dewdawn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I already paid my deposit for UIUC but am going to retake June LSAT. Just wondering about the possibility UIUC will increase my scholarship with June LSAT score. Anyone knows?

btw, I withdrew from all the other schools, except WL at UCLA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”