Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tncats

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by tncats » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:50 pm

HowlandReed wrote:
tncats wrote:When negotiating with schools that have very different tuition costs, can you negotiate with the more expensive school by saying it would cost you less to attend the cheaper school, or does it have to be a dollar for dollar negotiation?
You can and should definitely do this
Thank you!

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 pm

I have another question because I'm neurotic right now. If I sent a negotiation email a week ago and haven't received a response, should I send it again to a different person in the school? Should I follow up and just ask if the original person had had a chance to look over my email? Or is a week too soon to even follow up?

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:19 pm

pipipipi wrote:Has anyone already negotiated successfully so far during this cycle?

I am wondering how the timeline goes since this is a particularly slow cycle.
+1

shpat

New

Post by shpat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 am

I got an unsolicited bump at W&L yesterday, and last month, I negotiated and got a new offer at UGA. So I am wondering how to go about renegotiating with UGA or if that's something I can even do

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 am

shpat wrote:I got an unsolicited bump at W&L yesterday, and last month, I negotiated and got a new offer at UGA. So I am wondering how to go about renegotiating with UGA or if that's something I can even do
If you get any updated offers, you can email them again with the new information and confirm that the number they gave you is their final offer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

magdalena92

New

Post by magdalena92 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 pm

So I am in the process of negotiating with UCLA. I sent in my original email last week, and today they sent me a follow up offer that is 20k more than their initial offer. I'm happy about it, but since the initial offer was so low, I'd need at least another 20-30k to consider going there... What's the proper way to express this? Do I respond to the offer expressing my gratitude and then wait a week to try and negotiate further? Do I respond to their follow up immediately by saying thanks buttttttt I need more??

pyramidenergy888

New

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm

magdalena92 wrote:So I am in the process of negotiating with UCLA. I sent in my original email last week, and today they sent me a follow up offer that is 20k more than their initial offer. I'm happy about it, but since the initial offer was so low, I'd need at least another 20-30k to consider going there... What's the proper way to express this? Do I respond to the offer expressing my gratitude and then wait a week to try and negotiate further? Do I respond to their follow up immediately by saying thanks buttttttt I need more??
I was wondering the same thing... but I imagine that you just follow up with a very polite letter thanking them for the increase and just being frank about what you need to be able to go there. They will probably deny you but you just have to drive a hard line and make sure they know you won't be going without the right price.

nonononono

New

Post by nonononono » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Do people usually call or email law schools when trying to negotiate scholarships? I'm worried an email will make me look like I'm too scared to call but I can control my message better if it's over email

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 pm

nonononono wrote:Do people usually call or email law schools when trying to negotiate scholarships? I'm worried an email will make me look like I'm too scared to call but I can control my message better if it's over email
I've been emailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating with UVA yet?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

addie1412 wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating with UVA yet?
I haven't, but a friend tried to negotiate them up using a higher Michigan offer and was denied.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating with UVA yet?
I haven't, but a friend tried to negotiate them up using a higher Michigan offer and was denied.
Bummer :/

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I haven't heard back from schools like Cornell or UC Berkeley after being accepted for months. Is there someone I should email or do I continue waiting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:I haven't heard back from schools like Cornell or UC Berkeley after being accepted for months. Is there someone I should email or do I continue waiting?
For Cornell, you have to submit the one-page scholarship application form

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:I haven't heard back from schools like Cornell or UC Berkeley after being accepted for months. Is there someone I should email or do I continue waiting?
For Cornell, you have to submit the one-page scholarship application form
Well, I'm an idiot.

Apparantly it was due 5 days ago... :(

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Can anyone post an example letter, message me or describe the format that you used in a successful negotiation? THanks

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:54 pm

tea03 wrote:Can anyone post an example letter, message me or describe the format that you used in a successful negotiation? THanks
This is the general format I took:
1. Thank the person for offering you admission
2. Briefly describe steps you've taken since receiving your offer to learn more about the school (attending receptions, ASDs, talking to faculty/students, etc)
3. Express that you want to make a sound financial decision
4. List other offers and attach the scholarship letters to your email
5. (optional) List what amount you would like from the school. For schools located in expensive cities, a line such as "to offset the higher cost of living, compared to cities X, Y, and Z" might help

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HowlandReed

New

Post by HowlandReed » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

floatie wrote:
tea03 wrote:Can anyone post an example letter, message me or describe the format that you used in a successful negotiation? THanks
This is the general format I took:
1. Thank the person for offering you admission
2. Briefly describe steps you've taken since receiving your offer to learn more about the school (attending receptions, ASDs, talking to faculty/students, etc)
3. Express that you want to make a sound financial decision
4. List other offers and attach the scholarship letters to your email
5. (optional) List what amount you would like from the school. For schools located in expensive cities, a line such as "to offset the higher cost of living, compared to cities X, Y, and Z" might help
Have you had success?

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:29 am

shpat wrote:I got an unsolicited bump at W&L yesterday, and last month, I negotiated and got a new offer at UGA. So I am wondering how to go about renegotiating with UGA or if that's something I can even do
For UGA which email address have you been using to contact them? Seems like the replies are hit and miss.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

In the same boat. W&L is giving me close to 4 times as much money as UGA...but I would much rather live in Georgia after graduation. Heard UGA is particularly stingy with the scholarship money though, but like a lot of people have said, it doesn't hurt to try.

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 pm

lawyergirl94 wrote:Okay, so:

Michigan (45k)
UVA (60k)
Texas (76k)
Emory (84k)
USC (60k)
GW (75k)
Irvine (135j)

Anyone had any success negotiating w. USC? Thinking of sending UVA, Texas, Emory, GW, & Irvine to them. Any predictions or recommendations?
Hi, we are in very similar boats. Do you mind sharing your negotiating updates so far or mind me pm-ing your for updates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Trying to negotiate with Penn, Columbia, or Berkeley. Have $150,000 to Michigan, $92,000 from NYU, and $69,000 from Penn.
Any tips?

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 pm

ohgosh wrote:Will Duke consider Cornell a peer for scholarship negotiations? I received more from Cornell than from Duke and am thinking about asking for anew offer from Duke.
Bump. Anyone?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 pm

for those who were asking about USC earlier, recently had success with them

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 am

Successfully bumped Georgetown up from $90K to $135K and got an unsolicited bump to a full ride at Vanderbilt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”