Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Falcon3

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Falcon3 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:09 pm

So, after a few setbacks and TLS outbursts earlier in this thread (apologies), I've been quite successful negotiating in the region and in the ranking range as MReyna is applying to.

Start trying A against D and C- probably won't give much because they're quite a bit higher- then take those offers and try to get A to move. None of these schools is really known for negotiating much- Gonzaga, L&C and Seattle seem to be sticklers historically (just post the names- they're in your profile and you gave exact ranks- if the schools want to know who you are, they'll find out). USD would probably be the most likely to negotiate, but build up your offers with your "sacrificial" schools in order to take to your #1. If the #1 comes up after negotiation more than you thought, or more than the others did, you can keep going.

I think from this thread and other advice, saving your #1 for last will be the best strategy, but I'll defer to the TLS minds if they have better ideas.

MReyna12

New

Post by MReyna12 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback Falcon3. The four schools are Gonzaga, L&C, San Diego, and Loyola LA (no particular order). The only reason I didn't post names was to shorten my writing. I am not worried about who knows or finds out. Leaving USD til' then end does make sense. I think my best bet is to negotiate with L&C, using my scholly from Gonzaga as the bargaining chip. If L&C increases, should I move to Loyola to get an increase or should I go to Gonzaga? Have you had much success in the negotiation process?

Thanks again for giving me your feedback, I really do appreciate your time!

-M

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Could use your advice on negotiating without competing offers. I have an April 1 deposit deadline approaching and am still waiting to hear back from 6 schools. Should I just put in the first deposit and see what happens by The second deadline, or is it possible for me to up my offer? I'm willing to attend said school for more money so if I said "give me more and I'll come" I won't be lying

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:39 pm

How would someone suggest negotiating with a lower school for more money against a higher school which offered less money.

i.e.
School A -- Ranked 15-19 (80,000 offer/135,000 COA)

School B -- Ranked 20-25 (135,000 offer/85,000 COA)

I would like to negotiate for more money at School B. Suggesting financial hardship doesn't seem plausible given that it would be more expensive to go to the higher ranked school. Any ideas?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tasik32

New

Post by Tasik32 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I have a similar situation to a post from several pages back and would appreciate some input. I apologize if the following situation has been discussed ad nauseam.

I've been fortunate enough to receive admission to two of HYS, half scholarship at one of CCN, and a full ride at one of MVP. I'm looking to discuss my scholarship with the CCN school and I have yet to here from the the other two CCN schools on scholarship. Would you all suggest mentioning HYS in the discussion or the full ride at MVP? If HYS, should I mention both schools as options I am considering or would that be viewed as over the top?

Also, I'm hoping to improve my scholarship offer from a school in the lower T-14. Would that be a case for HYS or the MVP full ride? Normally, I would like to be patient and see what, if any, I receive from other schools. However, the deadlines are coming up soon and I would prefer to start the process now considering the administrative burden that financial aid and admissions offices are working through.

Thanks in advance!

indypup

New

Post by indypup » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:42 pm

MReyna12 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Falcon3. The four schools are Gonzaga, L&C, San Diego, and Loyola LA (no particular order). The only reason I didn't post names was to shorten my writing. I am not worried about who knows or finds out. Leaving USD til' then end does make sense. I think my best bet is to negotiate with L&C, using my scholly from Gonzaga as the bargaining chip. If L&C increases, should I move to Loyola to get an increase or should I go to Gonzaga? Have you had much success in the negotiation process?

Thanks again for giving me your feedback, I really do appreciate your time!

-M
I've had a ton of luck negotiating between USD and Loyola. Would rather go to USD than Loyola. I approached USD with Loyola's higher offer and they bumped up my scholly. I then sent the offer to Loyola who bumped up their offer. I sent that offer back to USD who bumped me up ( still slightly lower than Loyola's offer, but they removed the scholarship stipulations and living at home would more than make up the difference.) PM if you want anymore specific info.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Tasik32 wrote:Hi all,

I have a similar situation to a post from several pages back and would appreciate some input. I apologize if the following situation has been discussed ad nauseam.

I've been fortunate enough to receive admission to two of HYS, half scholarship at one of CCN, and a full ride at one of MVP. I'm looking to discuss my scholarship with the CCN school and I have yet to here from the the other two CCN schools on scholarship. Would you all suggest mentioning HYS in the discussion or the full ride at MVP? If HYS, should I mention both schools as options I am considering or would that be viewed as over the top?

Also, I'm hoping to improve my scholarship offer from a school in the lower T-14. Would that be a case for HYS or the MVP full ride? Normally, I would like to be patient and see what, if any, I receive from other schools. However, the deadlines are coming up soon and I would prefer to start the process now considering the administrative burden that financial aid and admissions offices are working through.

Thanks in advance!
I would mention my full ride and my HYS acceptances for both CCN and a lower T-14. Doesn't seem over the top to me, those are your serious options at this point. They should know that.

YoungSimba

New

Post by YoungSimba » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:14 am

Last edited by YoungSimba on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Falcon3

New

Post by Falcon3 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Anyone changing up their negotiation strategy with the recent rankings changes? I know one of my schools dropped 30 places..... Should this make a difference for negotiation this cycle?

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Falcon3 wrote:Anyone changing up their negotiation strategy with the recent rankings changes? I know one of my schools dropped 30 places..... Should this make a difference for negotiation this cycle?
With that big of a drop I would just act like I did not even see the new rankings.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Falcon3 wrote:Anyone changing up their negotiation strategy with the recent rankings changes? I know one of my schools dropped 30 places..... Should this make a difference for negotiation this cycle?
What school dropped 30 spots?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm

6778628 wrote:
What school dropped 30 spots?
Wasn't that Michigan?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Falcon3

New

Post by Falcon3 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Seattle U dropped 26 spots

JVrva

New

Post by JVrva » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 am

I am in the process of negotiating my scholarship with my top school--I emailed them last Friday and admissions told me I should hear something within the next few days. I am so anxious to hear back. Is it okay to follow up by email today regarding the status?

nosocat

Bronze

Post by nosocat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:10 am

JVrva wrote:I am in the process of negotiating my scholarship with my top school--I emailed them last Friday and admissions told me I should hear something within the next few days. I am so anxious to hear back. Is it okay to follow up by email today regarding the status?
I wouldn't unless you have a pressing reason (besides anxiety) to need to know today. They're busy, and you don't want to be seen as a pest when they're considering how much to give you.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:54 am

Was recently offered a sizable scholly to a school with an interesting condition: that I defer to next fall.

Do you guys expect this condition to lessen the value of that scholly in negotiation with other schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:57 am

whosinthehousejc wrote:Was recently offered a sizable scholly to a school with an interesting condition: that I defer to next fall.

Do you guys expect this condition to lessen the value of that scholly in negotiation with other schools?
No. You can word your email to other schools in such a way to not reveal that stipulation, and not be dishonest while doing so.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:00 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Was recently offered a sizable scholly to a school with an interesting condition: that I defer to next fall.

No. You can word your email to other schools in such a way to not reveal that stipulation, and not be dishonest while doing so.
They will probably request a copy of the scholarship letter and see this.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

They will probably request a copy of the scholarship letter and see this.
Right, I figured full disclosure is the only/best way.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked:

Has anyone had any success getting a scholarship increase without having a peer school to leverage the request?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked:

Has anyone had any success getting a scholarship increase without having a peer school to leverage the request?
I'm curious about this too. Is "I'm sorry, but I just can't afford you with your current offer" ever a viable tactic?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 pm

spencercross wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked:

I'm curious about this too. Is "I'm sorry, but I just can't afford you with your current offer" ever a viable tactic?
I tried this tactic. No response for a week. I'll be trying another strategy next week.

eta: But I think "I'm sorry, I cant afford you with your current offer" is a good way to start negotiations. You never know, you might have better luck than me.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Is it necessary to always mention more than one offer? If I have a big offer from a true peer school should I only mention that and keep it simple?

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Is it necessary to always mention more than one offer? If I have a big offer from a true peer school should I only mention that and keep it simple?
This is what I did. I haven't heard back yet, but I think that it is a good way to negotiate. It makes it sound like it's down to just the two schools in question, you know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”