ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cyclawps

Bronze

Re: ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020

Post by cyclawps » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 pm

FEDRESRV wrote:Just a heads up. ASU does not grant deposit deadline extensions. I confirmed with the admissions office this morning.
Thanks for the news. How does that affect your decision?

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 pm

FEDRESRV wrote:Just a heads up. ASU does not grant deposit deadline extensions. I confirmed with the admissions office this morning.
Good info to have. I was really hoping they did, to be honest. Waiting for finaid some other places yet. Might need to bite the bullet and deposit knowing full well I may lose the $.

FEDRESRV

New

Post by FEDRESRV » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:20 pm

cyclawps wrote:
Thanks for the news. How does that affect your decision?
I will likely withdraw my application.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Just withdrew. Have fun out there in the sun, folks.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Does anyone know the implications of the first seat deposit? I couldn't find it on the ASU law page, still deciding if ASU is for me. It's one of my top choices, don't want to deposit by Saturday and then have it be binding. Sorry if this has been answered already

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newbie2017

New

Post by newbie2017 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:12 am

beantheshadow wrote:Does anyone know the implications of the first seat deposit? I couldn't find it on the ASU law page, still deciding if ASU is for me. It's one of my top choices, don't want to deposit by Saturday and then have it be binding. Sorry if this has been answered already
If it is like all the other law schools (and looking at the page it appears to be) it only means that you have to deposit to guarantee your seat and scholarship offers at ASU. If you don't...then on Sunday I guess, they could withdraw your admission and scholarships. It doesn't prevent you from choosing another school in the future. What I've read on other forums is that there is a report at some point that tells schools if you've made multiple deposits--word is that this will almost always get your offer pulled.

newbie2017

New

Post by newbie2017 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Anyone go to ASW last Friday? Couldn't make it.

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

newbie2017 wrote:Anyone go to ASW last Friday? Couldn't make it.
I did. What questions do you have? Feel free to PM.

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Admitted off the waitlist on Monday :D But they only gave me until May 17th (8 days) to decide and deposit. :shock: Just a heads up for anyone on the WL that they don't give much turn around time if you're admitted!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyimliz

New

Post by heyimliz » Wed May 31, 2017 2:49 pm

spqr351 wrote:
lawboi619 wrote:I have decided to attend ASU. Does anyone have any input on where most of the law students live now, since the law school relocated to downtown? I assume some of the older students still live in Tempe, is that still the case for everyone?
Congrats on your decision! My cousin is a 1L at ASU and I've asked him about this. Also, I'm a Phoenix native so I know a bit about the area.

There's no one complex or part of town where law students cluster. Most live around the Valley in whatever housing they want. The commute from the east side (Mesa, south Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler) isn't all that bad, and housing is MUCH cheaper. Housing on the west side of town is even more affordable, but the commute is hellish.

Law students who really want a big social life live in Tempe, and many take the light rail every day. There are abundant, cheap options surrounding the ASU main campus if you don't mind constant undergrad parties. The more serious undergrads often live a few miles away from campus in rental houses, but you'd lose the light rail as an option.

There is also a decent population of law students within walking distance of the law school, but prices are high and the social scene is lacking.

For what it's worth, ASU Law students have to park in a garage nearly 1/2 mile away, in the same lots that serve Chase Field. The closer garages are small and usually occupied by faculty and staff. Few students even get a chance to buy a permit there, as faculty gets first-dibs and undergrads compete for the same spots. Free street parking is possible if you're willing to walk 3/4 mile-ish to a sketchy-but-gentrifying neighborhood (the area immediately surrounding the school is quite nice and very safe). The light rail station is about a block away, and less than a 5 minute walk. Buses in Phoenix are a joke, don't count on them.

Rising 2L here. There is housing right across the street from the school, called Taylor Place. I personally rent a house about 9 miles away from campus in Glendale. I have dogs and wanted my own pool. :) When traffic is decent, it takes me 15-20 minutes to get to school. During rush hour, 45 minutes to an hour. There are several parking garages that are available, but the closer ones fill up fast. Most students park in the garage on the corner of 5th and Filmore, which is about 4 blocks away. The walk really isn't bad. Parking passes for that lot cost $780/year.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 pm

A personal pool? Dogs? I think I chose the wrong law school: a memoir by me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”