WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Charlie802

Bronze

Re: WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by Charlie802 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:51 pm

toplaw01 wrote:How was ASD like ?
It was good. Biggest takeaway from everyone that I spoke to: Admitted Students, Professors, Current Students, Alumni is the small town is hard unless you can accept it and make the best of it. Personally, that is my BIGGEST hesitation. You really should go see it if you can before you commit. Everyone was REALLY nice. As one self-proclaimed mean girl in attendance told me "everyone is too nice, I am not going here." So that is a thing. Major thing that gave me pause was almost everyone who spoke about OCI or interviews at firms said "it didn't work out." Take that as you will, but I thought it meant that it meant they weren't getting the jobs. Overall, it was a good experience, but I don't think I will be attending. I think another year and another LSAT is in order for me.

anon79

New

Post by anon79 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
It was good. Biggest takeaway from everyone that I spoke to: Admitted Students, Professors, Current Students, Alumni is the small town is hard unless you can accept it and make the best of it. Personally, that is my BIGGEST hesitation. You really should go see it if you can before you commit. Everyone was REALLY nice. As one self-proclaimed mean girl in attendance told me "everyone is too nice, I am not going here." So that is a thing. Major thing that gave me pause was almost everyone who spoke about OCI or interviews at firms said "it didn't work out." Take that as you will, but I thought it meant that it meant they weren't getting the jobs. Overall, it was a good experience, but I don't think I will be attending. I think another year and another LSAT is in order for me.
The issue that is really holding me back at this point is "Major thing that gave me pause was almost everyone who spoke about OCI or interviews at firms said "it didn't work out." " They had good numbers the past year, but I will need to see the 2016 ABA employment summary report before I commit. Alumni and career services lie, but numbers at least give you an honest glimpse of the real picture.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:33 pm

anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
The issue that is really holding me back at this point is "Major thing that gave me pause was almost everyone who spoke about OCI or interviews at firms said "it didn't work out." " They had good numbers the past year, but I will need to see the 2016 ABA employment summary report before I commit. Alumni and career services lie, but numbers at least give you an honest glimpse of the real picture.
Agreed. HUGE concern of mine. No one I spoke to had firm jobs, especially big firm jobs, they all had public interest. Interested to see as well. When do they release the numbers?

anon79

New

Post by anon79 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 am

Charlie802 wrote:
anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Agreed. HUGE concern of mine. No one I spoke to had firm jobs, especially big firm jobs, they all had public interest. Interested to see as well. When do they release the numbers?
Somewhere I think read that they had to release employment data by April 15th, but I cannot seem to find the link. Many schools are already releasing employment outcomes but not Washington and Lee or William and Mary. I hope it is soon because the deposit deadline is the 15th.

I am going to the 14th before I make a decision if they don't release employment data. I am leaning W&L over my other options due to the great scholarship and small classes sizes. I don't mind the small town either. I do think that the school is downplaying how its isolated location hurts it. When I visited William and Mary it seemed quite common for students to commute to Richmond or Norfolk for externships. W&L sadly does not have those opportunities. However, if they can post similar employment data to last year's then that will go a long way to addressing some of my concerns about the school.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:40 am

anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Somewhere I think read that they had to release employment data by April 15th, but I cannot seem to find the link. Many schools are already releasing employment outcomes but not Washington and Lee or William and Mary. I hope it is soon because the deposit deadline is the 15th.

I am going to the 14th before I make a decision if they don't release employment data. I am leaning W&L over my other options due to the great scholarship and small classes sizes. I don't mind the small town either. I do think that the school is downplaying how its isolated location hurts it. When I visited William and Mary it seemed quite common for students to commute to Richmond or Norfolk for externships. W&L sadly does not have those opportunities. However, if they can post similar employment data to last year's then that will go a long way to addressing some of my concerns about the school.
School have to submit employment data to aba by 7th April and ABA makes it public by 15th. That's what the career Dean of GW said when I visited them. Someone in wash Lee also said so.

Btw, which all schools have released the data already? I know BC law. Any other school? Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
anon79 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

School have to submit employment data to aba by 7th April and ABA makes it public by 15th. That's what the career Dean of GW said when I visited them. Someone in wash Lee also said so.

Btw, which all schools have released the data already? I know BC law. Any other school? Thanks
Just checked a few- HLS, Cornell and NDLS have put 2016 employment summaries. HLS, Cornell have gone up by about 6-7 percentage points for placement in 100+ firms. NDLS has moved from 32.xx to 31.3x.

godinacup

New

Post by godinacup » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 am

Just withdrew with $$$. Best of luck to everyone waiting for good news from W&L!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Just withdrew with money as well. Good luck to those on the WL and still waiting to hear back!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Withdrew today with a boalt load of $ gl everyone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Employment Stats for Class of 2016 was up! Hope this helps guys :D :D :D

Bar required, Full-time, long-term: 76.8% (+1.5%)
Federal Clerkship (%): 9.5% (+4.9%)
Biglaw (%) : 16.8% (-1.6%)
----
Fed+ Big law: 26.3% (+3.0%)
3 States : VA, NY, D.C

http://law2.wlu.edu/admissions/nalp/ABA ... ry2017.pdf

Bar Passing Rate for Class of 2016
Virginia - 87.5% (28/32)
New York - 100% (15/15)
California - 71.43% (5/7)
Florida - 83.33% (5/6)
Maryland - 75% (3/4)

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

Withdrew with $$ today. Best of luck everyone waiting.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

withdrew with $$$

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Didn't get an answer to this in WL thread so I'll post it here instead (which I suppose is also a WL thread)

Washington & Lee makes no mention of LOCIs on their website (though they do mention calling, which I haven't seen too many places). Still a good idea to send? I'm god-awful at phone interviews.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Didn't get an answer to this in WL thread so I'll post it here instead (which I suppose is also a WL thread)

Washington & Lee makes no mention of LOCIs on their website (though they do mention calling, which I haven't seen too many places). Still a good idea to send? I'm god-awful at phone interviews.
just call

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm

toplaw01 wrote:Employment Stats for Class of 2016 was up! Hope this helps guys :D :D :D

Bar required, Full-time, long-term: 76.8% (+1.5%)
Federal Clerkship (%): 9.5% (+4.9%)
Biglaw (%) : 16.8% (-1.6%)
----
Fed+ Big law: 26.3% (+3.0%)
3 States : VA, NY, D.C

http://law2.wlu.edu/admissions/nalp/ABA ... ry2017.pdf

Bar Passing Rate for Class of 2016
Virginia - 87.5% (28/32)
New York - 100% (15/15)
California - 71.43% (5/7)
Florida - 83.33% (5/6)
Maryland - 75% (3/4)

Decided to commit a few weeks back when I looked in to their employment reports. The fact that over 70% of graduates found work outside of VA and around 30% found work in biglaw or clerkships made me think with the right class rank you're not exactly pigeonholed into a regional public interest job like some of the posters in here have suggested the case may be. It's certainly not as certain a bet as top-20's I'm sure, but it's also not a pipe dream.

The fact that they beat out every other school by a longshot in terms of $ offered also made it a lot easier lol. See you all on the 15th

lawdeda

New

Post by lawdeda » Wed May 03, 2017 12:04 am

Any waitlist movement yet?

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 pm

lawdeda wrote:Any waitlist movement yet?
I got an email shortly after their initial deposit deadline saying that they had strong returns and weren't making any offers at that time, but they anticipated that there would be some movement towards their second deposit which I think is June 1. To me, it didn't sound very promising. Maybe a handful get offers later in the summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawdeda

New

Post by lawdeda » Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 am

TedBuckland wrote:
lawdeda wrote:Any waitlist movement yet?
I got an email shortly after their initial deposit deadline saying that they had strong returns and weren't making any offers at that time, but they anticipated that there would be some movement towards their second deposit which I think is June 1. To me, it didn't sound very promising. Maybe a handful get offers later in the summer.
Got the same e-mail. Not promising at all.

coffeexo

New

Post by coffeexo » Fri May 19, 2017 4:13 am

Just withdrew. Good luck to you all!

JcamP

New

Post by JcamP » Sat May 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi all,

Applying for W&L in Fall 2018. Currently holding a 2.77 UGPA/168 LSAT. If anyone has similar stats, can you please PM me with your acceptance info? Just trying to gauge my chances as W&L is by far my number one school.

Ellewoods5516

New

Post by Ellewoods5516 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 am

Anyone hear anything about the waitlist?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FatherRyan1

New

Post by FatherRyan1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Any updates on your choice of school JCAM? I am just curious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”