WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawBuckeye12

New

Re: WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm

shotgunheist wrote:ASD was pretty great. I be sure to pay attention to how the alumni and current students and whatnot talk to each other and not to the prospectives, as I feel it reveals the real camaraderie of the school. Everyone was very cordial and it seemed like a fraternity in a good way, i guess, with everyone looking out for each other and doing everything they can to try and help them succeed. The school was nice and I got to have some very fun conversations with some high level professors. Also made a lot of friends with others who attended the weekend. Their employment stories seemed really compelling, and I would feel confident going there for both a good education and post-grad success. Additionally, they were super straight up about their statistics and curve and everything, giving out hardball answers before anyone asked hardball questions, which I commend.

The positives truly outweigh the negatives for me, but I will mention my two. One, lack of diversity. Not a huge deal to me honestly and I would feel different if I was a minority I'm sure, but it's very white and noticeably so. I didn't see a single person of color on the law journal staff composite or on the student council, etc. I did not get a sense of racism and saw no confederate flags or anything, but it was noticeable at least to me. The BLSA is incredible though, unfortunately they weren't around at the weekend.
Two, the town is so small. So small. It would be a big change for me. Would be useful when you need to study though, haha! But you have to walk everywhere in town, just a few bars, no uber or lyft so you'd have to drive if you need to go out of town. That's my biggest negative. If W&L was in a big city my deposit would be down yesterday.
Did they say anything more specific about their job statistics this last year or did they just say it was similar to 2015?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:
Did they say anything more specific about their job statistics this last year or did they just say it was similar to 2015?
I'm going to the one on the 31st, but other people who have already gone have said W&L said the class of 2016 is similar to or better than the class of 2015. I hope they get more specific about job data and release their employment summary before the deposit deadline.

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

Charlie802 wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:ASD was pretty great. I be sure to pay attention to how the alumni and current students and whatnot talk to each other and not to the prospectives, as I feel it reveals the real camaraderie of the school. Everyone was very cordial and it seemed like a fraternity in a good way, i guess, with everyone looking out for each other and doing everything they can to try and help them succeed. The school was nice and I got to have some very fun conversations with some high level professors. Also made a lot of friends with others who attended the weekend. Their employment stories seemed really compelling, and I would feel confident going there for both a good education and post-grad success. Additionally, they were super straight up about their statistics and curve and everything, giving out hardball answers before anyone asked hardball questions, which I commend.

The positives truly outweigh the negatives for me, but I will mention my two. One, lack of diversity. Not a huge deal to me honestly and I would feel different if I was a minority I'm sure, but it's very white and noticeably so. I didn't see a single person of color on the law journal staff composite or on the student council, etc. I did not get a sense of racism and saw no confederate flags or anything, but it was noticeable at least to me. The BLSA is incredible though, unfortunately they weren't around at the weekend.
Two, the town is so small. So small. It would be a big change for me. Would be useful when you need to study though, haha! But you have to walk everywhere in town, just a few bars, no uber or lyft so you'd have to drive if you need to go out of town. That's my biggest negative. If W&L was in a big city my deposit would be down yesterday.
Thank you for the info! Sounds like it left a great impression!

I am likewise worried about being in a small town. Went to high school in one and it can be a struggle.

Are you leaning W&L after the weekend, or weighing other options still?
Thanks for your sharing !

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am

After I committed I got a scholly increase from 35 to 40. Pretty sweet deal. Looking forward to meeting some of you all next year.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 pm

theorangewon wrote:After I committed I got a scholly increase from 35 to 40. Pretty sweet deal. Looking forward to meeting some of you all next year.
I like this! I like this a lot! If next weeks ASD goes well then I'll be committing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:20 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote: Did they say anything more specific about their job statistics this last year or did they just say it was similar to 2015?
the career services dean said that they expected to slightly outperform the class of 2016.

i will also echo shotgunheist. W&L seems like a great place with very very accessible faculty and staff. they really make it seem like you can get a job anywhere, and they went about it in a way that felt candid.

the only thing that i didn't like was that lexington is so small, way different feel than im used. and the students i talked too echoed that lexington being small essentially the only issue with W&L. i did also notice a lack of diversity. additionally, there were only a handful of POC in the ASW class too.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Just got my acceptance via email! If anyone else is still waiting check your email. I'm excited about this one!

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Just got my acceptance via email! If anyone else is still waiting check your email. I'm excited about this one!
When did you go under review?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Jonesy2020 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Just got my acceptance via email! If anyone else is still waiting check your email. I'm excited about this one!
3/6

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mj33

New

Post by mj33 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 pm

+1. Congrats! You can peep your scholly offer at the bottom of the Status Checker.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Jonesy2020 wrote:
3/6
Thanks! I went under review 3/9...so looks like I may have a few more days :?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm

mj33 wrote:
+1. Congrats! You can peep your scholly offer at the bottom of the Status Checker.
Yup! I found it :). It's very generous. Puts them at the top of my list if I can find reasonable evidence that I'll be able to come back to NY to work after school!

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Jonesy2020 wrote:
3/6
+2

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:29 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
mj33 wrote:
Yup! I found it :). It's very generous. Puts them at the top of my list if I can find reasonable evidence that I'll be able to come back to NY to work after school!
w&L definitely can get you back to NY. Their bar passing rate in ny is extremely high ~90-100% which put them in the top of my list.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 pm

toplaw01 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
mj33 wrote:
w&L definitely can get you back to NY. Their bar passing rate in ny is extremely high ~90-100% which put them in the top of my list.
while they may very well be able to get you a job in NY, I'm not sure. The bar passage rate, simply means their students are capable of passing the NY bar, it does not mean that many of them get hired in NY.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
toplaw01 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
mj33 wrote:
while they may very well be able to get you a job in NY, I'm not sure. The bar passage rate, simply means their students are capable of passing the NY bar, it does not mean that many of them get hired in NY.
Agreed. My other good offer is from Fordham so I'm leaning in that direction.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I visited during this past week and their law school is very impressive. Their small class size and the individual attention given to each student are very good selling points in my opinion. The town is small, but it's nice. I didn't know what to expect from the town, but it exceeded any expectations I could have formed. Definitely worth a visit for anyone who has interest in W&L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Was accepted with the 37,500 yearly but I really don't see myself loving VA...really want to wind up in DC or NYC. Tough to turn down the scholly though when everybody else is offering less than a third of what W&L is willing to give me...

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 pm

SkateboardT wrote:Was accepted with the 37,500 yearly but I really don't see myself loving VA...really want to wind up in DC or NYC. Tough to turn down the scholly though when everybody else is offering less than a third of what W&L is willing to give me...
There is an admitted students weekend this weekend, may be worth checking out if you can still register/attend. Will give you a better feel for if you can make it work.

As for NYC and dc goals. I would note that no one stays in Lexington, so it is expected that you will use your degree elsewhere, so they will have connections in these places. There's been discussion on if W&L can get you to dc and NYC. The answer is it can, but that depends on what your goals are and how hard you are willing to work for them. Same boat here though, I really want dc or NYC, but W&L gave me a good offer.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Do any big law firms from NY come to W&L OCI? I'm sure a few from DC do.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Do any big law firms from NY come to W&L OCI? I'm sure a few from DC do.
I'm also curious about this. I really haven't seen too many W&L alumni while going through the People pages on the websites for NYC V10 firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Do any big law firms from NY come to W&L OCI? I'm sure a few from DC do.
Yes, according to lsn. I've also seen alumni talk about how they do.

http://wl.lawschoolnumbers.com/careers

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm

When I visited, they told me that some do come to OCI, but students also go to career fairs at UVA since it's only 45 minutes away.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

http://law.wm.edu/careerservices/docume ... ummary.pdf

here's a link to their employment outcomes for the class of 2015.

As expected most stay in VA, but theres actually a promising number of them who made it to DC and NY...I was considering William and Mary before I got my offer from W&L, but their numbers weren't as good for those of us who want to wind up in DC or NY.

Looks like over half the class actually found work outside of VA.

ScholarFromARHoller

New

Post by ScholarFromARHoller » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:58 pm

jstans wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:
theorangewon wrote:
Even full tuition scholarships require taking on a significant debt burden when the school refuses to allow students to work, and if you hope to work outside of a 200 mile radius of Virginia, you’ll be completely on your own in trying to find a job. You’ll be looked at like a leper for talking about a cost-benefit analysis of going to law school and if you try to say the school is anything but perfect, you can expect the administration to blackball you from every level of involvement with the school officially, and often socially as well
That's interesting to me. On LST literally 70% of their class leave VA and about half of all grads go to states that don't even border VA. I can't see how the school "blackballs" half their graduates.

Not saying that ATL poster is lying, just has me scratching my head and thinking that it may be a personal experience that motivated that post
Agree with that. I'm from Arkansas and I know a big contingent of one of the biggest Little Rock firms is made up of W&L grads. LST lists no presence in Arkansas, probably because this firm is very old and predates that service. So LST definitely has some holes, and I think W&L has a much broader reach than it suggests.
JStans, are you still considering W&L? I'm a current 2L at W&L and am from Arkansas. Would be happy to answer any questions. That goes to the rest of you as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”