UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 pm

4'sup wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?
There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu
Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

I didn't send emails to those addresses. I couldn't remember what they were from memory so I just got as close to what I could remember. Spare me the snark.
Chill.

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Post by kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?
There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..
I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today
This isn't the first I have heard of poor admission and financial aid offices...kinda frustrating when you invest so heavily into an institution and they pull this

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 am

kaptainkeepa wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today
This isn't the first I have heard of poor admission and financial aid offices...kinda frustrating when you invest so heavily into an institution and they pull this
Totally. Very frustrating and makes the process so opaque.

hellohello123

New

Post by hellohello123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Still haven't heard back regarding my scholarship reconsideration request... I only sent it to the matching email; should I also send one to the ktalvarez email as well? When I called the Financial Aid office a few days ago, I was told to email the office only, but it's been more than 3 weeks and I'm getting antsy :oops:

STribe14

New

Post by STribe14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 pm

hellohello123 wrote:Still haven't heard back regarding my scholarship reconsideration request... I only sent it to the matching email; should I also send one to the ktalvarez email as well? When I called the Financial Aid office a few days ago, I was told to email the office only, but it's been more than 3 weeks and I'm getting antsy :oops:
I would email ktalvarez. I waited for a couple weeks to hear back from the financial aid office, but then sent a follow up directly to ktalvarez and got my new offer within a day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

withdrew from my acceptance

galantwhiteandblue

New

Post by galantwhiteandblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey Guys,

I haven't received an email from them but today I logged in calcentral and found out that I was awarded "20k" under "grand total"
10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
Nothing said about the other semesters.
Does this mean that the 20k is all I've got?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

galantwhiteandblue wrote:Hey Guys,

I haven't received an email from them but today I logged in calcentral and found out that I was awarded "20k" under "grand total"
10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
its probably per year. the last two years don't show up on Cal Central

galantwhiteandblue

New

Post by galantwhiteandblue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
galantwhiteandblue wrote:Hey Guys,

10k for fall 2017
10k for spring 2018
its probably per year. the last two years don't show up on Cal Central
Like :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daydreamerxoxo

New

Post by daydreamerxoxo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?

janereacher

Bronze

Post by janereacher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?
Nope - haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet.

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

janereacher wrote:
daydreamerxoxo wrote:Any held applicants hearing any whispers of a decision timeline?
me neither. still waiting. :(

lunamoon

New

Post by lunamoon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

First time posting. As many of you here, I am in financial aid limbo. I never received an offer, and whenever I reached out they simply told me I was still "under review". I finally decided to send a reconsideration offer, since I had a scholarship deadline. I already send an email to Kristin - she replied that they would try to give me a response ASAP - but haven't heard anything since. I have sent follow up emails but have not received a reply. After reading through the posts it seems people have been getting mixed responses - some have received an offer hours after submitting a request, while others have been waiting weeks.

I was wondering if people who have been successful with their reconsideration requests, could pm me any advice. It's been about two weeks since I sent the request. Is there any number I can call or should I just keep emailing? I really want to go to Berkeley, and just knowing I have some money would allow me to commit.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blackbetty92

New

Post by blackbetty92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm

lunamoon wrote:Hi Everyone,

First time posting. As many of you here, I am in financial aid limbo. I never received an offer, and whenever I reached out they simply told me I was still "under review". I finally decided to send a reconsideration offer, since I had a scholarship deadline. I already send an email to Kristin - she replied that they would try to give me a response ASAP - but haven't heard anything since. I have sent follow up emails but have not received a reply. After reading through the posts it seems people have been getting mixed responses - some have received an offer hours after submitting a request, while others have been waiting weeks.

I was wondering if people who have been successful with their reconsideration requests, could pm me any advice. It's been about two weeks since I sent the request. Is there any number I can call or should I just keep emailing? I really want to go to Berkeley, and just knowing I have some money would allow me to commit.

Thanks!
Hey! So I submitted my scholarship reconsideration request and heavily emphasized the deadline. I asked the other school (we'll just call it School X) for an extension (highly recommend you do this too, worst they can say is no), explaining that I was seriously considering their offer but also that the other school (Berkeley) hadn't gotten back to me with financial aid info and that I didn't feel comfortable making a decision without all the information. X gave me another week and in that time Berkeley got back to me with a comparable offer.

I think making sure that everyone and their mother knows that you're under a specific deadline is important (I told financial aid, the matching people, Alvarez, everyone), and just try to get the other school to hold off as long as possible. Good luck!

lunamoon

New

Post by lunamoon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm

blackbetty92 wrote:
lunamoon wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Hey! So I submitted my scholarship reconsideration request and heavily emphasized the deadline. I asked the other school (we'll just call it School X) for an extension (highly recommend you do this too, worst they can say is no), explaining that I was seriously considering their offer but also that the other school (Berkeley) hadn't gotten back to me with financial aid info and that I didn't feel comfortable making a decision without all the information. X gave me another week and in that time Berkeley got back to me with a comparable offer.

I think making sure that everyone and their mother knows that you're under a specific deadline is important (I told financial aid, the matching people, Alvarez, everyone), and just try to get the other school to hold off as long as possible. Good luck!

I will email them all, I am worried about emailing too much. I don't want to annoy them to the point where it hurts my chances, but it seems that following up is the only way you get a response.

Again, thank you so much.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
I've heard, they will be making decisions starting this week.

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
:shock: :shock: Source? Did you call or have you heard back yourself?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Reconsideration accepted today. They basically matched my Michigan offer ($150,000). Beyond excited. Had pretty much ruled Berk out.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
I haven't heard anything personally. But I called. Fingers crossed!! :D

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
oh man this makes me nervous! haha thanks for the update though!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
janereacher wrote:
oh man this makes me nervous! haha thanks for the update though!
No problem! I keep refreshing my email every second! It's driving me crazy as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 pm

withdrew from acceptance. GL to all of you!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:27 pm

me too! my heart was there, the logistics/ finances were not. love and luck to all!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Withdrew a few weeks ago. Received an automated email today saying I could find changes to my financial award in the link. No change. Wtf?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 am

LHS17 wrote:Withdrew a few weeks ago. Received an automated email today saying I could find changes to my financial award in the link. No change. Wtf?
The same happened to me. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”