Full Ride at T4 law school to SMU? Worth $100k in debt? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
leingdownthelaw

New

Full Ride at T4 law school to SMU? Worth $100k in debt?

Post by leingdownthelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Currently at a T4 school in Texas on a full ride, graded onto law review, #15 in my class. Recently accepted into SMU with access to their OCI's, but would be going completely on student loans. Would have to write onto law review, but have the chance to.

I want to do big law starting out. But, I do not want to be stuck in BigLaw for ten years because I need to be able to afford to pay off my loans. Mind you, there are students that graduate from my school and get into BigLaw, but it's hard. Possible, but difficult. Is it worth the chances of not landing in the top 10% at SMU and being $100k in debt?

HELP! So confused.

oliv8518

New

Re: Full Ride at T4 law school to SMU? Worth $100k in debt?

Post by oliv8518 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 pm

The answer is going to depend on a lot of things. But first, you probably aren't getting big law either way. So to get the best answer it really matters which school you currently attend and which market you are aiming for. It also probably matters if you are actually from Texas and where in Texas.

With the information provided, I would stay put. You are in a sort of limbo where #15 at a T4 isn't that impressive and SMU isn't that impressive either (to employers). If it was UT then I would say go but your COL at SMU is going to be much more than $100k without any savings

TL;DR = Probably not worth it

tzzzok

New

Post by tzzzok » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:45 pm

oliv8518 wrote:The answer is going to depend on a lot of things. But first, you probably aren't getting big law either way. So to get the best answer it really matters which school you currently attend and which market you are aiming for. It also probably matters if you are actually from Texas and where in Texas.

With the information provided, I would stay put. You are in a sort of limbo where #15 at a T4 isn't that impressive and SMU isn't that impressive either (to employers). If it was UT then I would say go but your COL at SMU is going to be much more than $100k without any savings

+1. In your case, I don't think it's worth shelling out six figures for marginally better career opportunities.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Here, the t4 is better.

leingdownthelaw

New

Post by leingdownthelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 pm

oliv8518 wrote:The answer is going to depend on a lot of things. But first, you probably aren't getting big law either way. So to get the best answer it really matters which school you currently attend and which market you are aiming for. It also probably matters if you are actually from Texas and where in Texas.

Ok a little more information. Parents will pay for cost of living and help out with the loans, but most will be on me. Wanting to stay in Dallas to practice. Had pretty good internships my 1L year summer. Legal intern for the In-house counsel for a very large corporation and another at a smaller litigation firm where I drafted motions, etc. First semester gpa is what brought me down a bit, but second semester I got all A's.

Loving the honesty in this thread. I want to know realistically, what are my chances of getting into big law from SMU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leingdownthelaw

New

Post by leingdownthelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:15 pm

barkschool wrote:Here, the t4 is better.
Why? Expand! I have to make my decision in two days!

MiamiHeat3

Bronze

Post by MiamiHeat3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Don't rely on these Herberts for help. You know what's the best decision, trust yourself and make the call!

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Unless you're at UNT/Thurgood Marshall, I'd stay at the T4, SMU is not worth the debt

leingdownthelaw

New

Post by leingdownthelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:51 pm

eagle2a wrote:Unless you're at UNT/Thurgood Marshall, I'd stay at the T4, SMU is not worth the debt
At A&M!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:12 pm

leingdownthelaw wrote:
barkschool wrote:Here, the t4 is better.
Why? Expand! I have to make my decision in two days!
Cause ur job chances aren't going to magically shoot into being worth the money. Keep ur scholarship.

PresTTTigious

New

Post by PresTTTigious » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 am

SMU is presTTTigious

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:50 am

leingdownthelaw wrote:

Ok a little more information. Parents will pay for cost of living and help out with the loans, but most will be on me. Wanting to stay in Dallas to practice. Had pretty good internships my 1L year summer. Legal intern for the In-house counsel for a very large corporation and another at a smaller litigation firm where I drafted motions, etc. First semester gpa is what brought me down a bit, but second semester I got all A's.

Loving the honesty in this thread. I want to know realistically, what are my chances of getting into big law from SMU.
Realistically, SMU places 20.9% of their class in large firms. Whereas at A&M, they place 1.8%. Your odds aren't good either way. Honestly, if you're going to graduate debt-free from A&M, that's better than taking out significant loans for SMU.

oidsedidy

New

Post by oidsedidy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
leingdownthelaw wrote:

Realistically, SMU places 20.9% of their class in large firms. Whereas at A&M, they place 1.8%. Your odds aren't good either way. Honestly, if you're going to graduate debt-free from A&M, that's better than taking out significant loans for SMU.
You will be better off at your current school- having access to SMU's OCI may net you more screening interviews than your current school does, but that cannot possibly be worth the additional debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Don't transfer but you should be mass-mailing, starting a week ago.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Don't transfer. Try your best for biglaw, but understand that it's probably not going to happen. (Same if you went to SMU, but with an insane amount of debt). But you knew it would be the case that you wouldn't get biglaw when you decided to attend A&M, so I presume you have other goals for a legal career, and it sounds like you're in a good position to seize those, either way. And you're graduating with little or no debt, so you're going to be fine (so long as you do not transfer).

Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”