Need advice. UNC Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tarheel123

New

Need advice. UNC Waitlist

Post by tarheel123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:38 pm

I've been on the Waitlist at UNC since April. I am going to be in Chapel Hill tomorrow and am going to stop by the law school. What should I do in regards to trying to discuss my status since the deadline for my decision is on Friday?

mnelsa14

New

Re: Need advice. UNC Waitlist

Post by mnelsa14 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Is your Friday deadline at UNC or at another school? If you're riding out the WL you can always talk to the admissions office about remaining seat availability and projected WL movement. They'll at least be able to tell you if they're planning on making moves soon

tarheel123

New

Post by tarheel123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Friday is my deadline at UNC. Yeah I'm gonna talk to admissions when I get there and see how the WL movement is going and if I can expect any good news before Friday.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:09 pm

tarheel123 wrote:Friday is my deadline at UNC. Yeah I'm gonna talk to admissions when I get there and see how the WL movement is going and if I can expect any good news before Friday.
Wait, what? What deadline are they imposing on you?

mnelsa14

New

Post by mnelsa14 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:31 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
tarheel123 wrote:Friday is my deadline at UNC. Yeah I'm gonna talk to admissions when I get there and see how the WL movement is going and if I can expect any good news before Friday.
Wait, what? What deadline are they imposing on you?
Did you ask to be removed from the WL by the 15th? I'm with lymenheimer, I can't imagine what other deadlines they have for you if they haven't admitted you yet, but you could probably tell them you'd like to extend your time on the WL if this is the case

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarheel123

New

Post by tarheel123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah I asked to be removed from the WL on the 15th. Do y'all think they will give me a definitive answer on my status if I go in person? Or it won't make a difference either way?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:44 pm

tarheel123 wrote:Yeah I asked to be removed from the WL on the 15th. Do y'all think they will give me a definitive answer on my status if I go in person? Or it won't make a difference either way?
So you have a self-imposed deadline. Could just be rambling...but I doubt they would be inclined to grant you admission or speed up your timeline by visiting when you have given them a timeline.

tarheel123

New

Post by tarheel123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm

At UNC they give you 2 options. Either be removed from the WL on July 15th or like August 25th. So technically it's a school imposed deadline. I have to make other arrangements soon so I can't stay on through August. I'm hoping that showing my interest is extremely high will help my case. But I'm desperate at this point.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:00 pm

tarheel123 wrote:At UNC they give you 2 options. Either be removed from the WL on July 15th or like August 25th. So technically it's a school imposed deadline. I have to make other arrangements soon so I can't stay on through August. I'm hoping that showing my interest is extremely high will help my case. But I'm desperate at this point.
If you were extremely interested you'd have said August 25th, regardless of your arrangements. Also, you can change arrangements. Probably not worth it for a move to UNC, but you could still have moved in August.

eta: seems like an easy/obvious way to weed out disinterested WL applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tarheel123

New

Post by tarheel123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Um considering the orientation for the school I am currently going to attend starts on August 5th, and I need to move to the area and get an apartment, books, etc., staying on a waitlist thru the end of August is not feasible. I've made my high interest crystal clear to admissions. I can't wait around forever for a decision. Too many logistical moves to make

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:12 pm

tarheel123 wrote:Um considering the orientation for the school I am currently going to attend starts on August 5th, and I need to move to the area and get an apartment, books, etc., staying on a waitlist thru the end of August is not feasible. I've made my high interest crystal clear to admissions. I can't wait around forever for a decision. Too many logistical moves to make
This is a non-response. Just because these things are happening and because it would be difficult, doesn't mean it's impossible, just ridiculous. Also, that has no bearing on the fact that you could have said August anyways. I realize that you may have been crystal clear about your desire, but telling them you want to be removed on July 15th, to me, is as simple as saying "I'm interested, but not interested enough to wait down to the wire."

and they may not be thinking that at all, but I am not sure that visiting and asking them to expedite your decision in light of your decision to be removed July 15th is going to rub them the right way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”