Emory Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you attending ASD? (April 2nd!)

Yes
35%
No
43%
Still waiting on decision
22%

Total votes: 54

njkga

Bronze

Re: Emory Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by njkga » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 am

TheProdigal wrote:
njkga wrote:So who all has decided on Emory at this point? I keep looking for a "Class of 2019" thread for Emory in the other section. I think at this point - unless UGA decides to bump their scholarship offer to full - I'm pretty much 100% decided on Emory. Looking forward to starting this fall!
Create it! I believe the Facebook group is up to 110.

I was going to the other day but I couldn't figure out (on the fly) how to insert images.

I requested to join the FB group but since my FB account doesnt use my real name (I assume) I wasn't approved as of yet. Do you know who to contact to be added to that?

I don't use my real name on FB since I am currently a public school teacher, and I try to stay hidden online from my students. :)
Last edited by njkga on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:45 am

njkga wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
njkga wrote:So who all has decided on Emory at this point? I keep looking for a "Class of 2019" thread for Emory in the other section. I think at this point - unless UGA decides to bump their scholarship offer to full - I'm pretty much 100% decided on Emory. Looking forward to starting this fall!
Create it! I believe the Facebook group is up to 110.

I was going to the other day but I couldn't figure out (on the fly) how to insert images.

I requested to join the FB group but since my FB account doesnt use my real name (I assume) I wasn't approved as of yet. Do you know who to contact to be added to that?

I don't use my real name on FB since I am currently a public school teacher, and I try to stay hidden online from my students. :)
I'd contact Jenna Bowen in the admissions office, she created it.

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is there a chance that people on the regular wait list can get scholarship money if admitted? In the dean's post it seemed like only priority waitlisters are offered scholarships, but I'm not sure if I just misinterpreted what he said.

col1

New

Post by col1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Priority Waitlist 3/18

col1

New

Post by col1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm

lawlaura3494 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is there a chance that people on the regular wait list can get scholarship money if admitted? In the dean's post it seemed like only priority waitlisters are offered scholarships, but I'm not sure if I just misinterpreted what he said.
That's also how I understand it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yenisey

Bronze

Post by yenisey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:11 am

col1 wrote:
lawlaura3494 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is there a chance that people on the regular wait list can get scholarship money if admitted? In the dean's post it seemed like only priority waitlisters are offered scholarships, but I'm not sure if I just misinterpreted what he said.
Sounds like reasonable. But how to understand "we don't rank the waitlist"?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:12 am

Waitlisted. I was a late applicant and stumbled on my LSAT, so I'll take it! Retaking my LSAT in June.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 am

yenisey wrote:
col1 wrote:
This just means there isn't like someone who is first in line to get in, and someone else is last in line. If and when they have spots in the class open up, they will re-evaluate (ostensibly) the whole waitlist.

yenisey

Bronze

Post by yenisey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 am

njkga wrote:
yenisey wrote:
col1 wrote:
This just means there isn't like someone who is first in line to get in, and someone else is last in line. If and when they have spots in the class open up, they will re-evaluate (ostensibly) the whole waitlist.
Thank you. I mean that since they don't rank the waitlisters, why some are "priority" while others are regular. And why the Dean says only priority waitlisters have chance of scholarship?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:28 pm

yenisey wrote:
njkga wrote:
yenisey wrote:
col1 wrote:
Thank you. I mean that since they don't rank the waitlisters, why some are "priority" while others are regular. And why the Dean says only priority waitlisters have chance of scholarship?
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose in that sense there are two "ranks." However, within those categories there isn't an order of applicants. So until reevaluation, all priority wait list candidates are equal and all regular wait list candidates are equal. Priority wait list will be considered first and offered remaining scholarship money, and then if there are more spots they will supposedly be offered without scholarship to regular wait list candidates. At least that's my understanding of how it all works!

col1

New

Post by col1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:39 pm

LandMermaid wrote:
yenisey wrote:
njkga wrote:
yenisey wrote:
col1 wrote:
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose in that sense there are two "ranks." However, within those categories there isn't an order of applicants. So until reevaluation, all priority wait list candidates are equal and all regular wait list candidates are equal. Priority wait list will be considered first and offered remaining scholarship money, and then if there are more spots they will supposedly be offered without scholarship to regular wait list candidates. At least that's my understanding of how it all works!
Right. The only question I have is what would nullify ones chances of being admitted from the Priority Waitlist? If we assume a # of admits will come from the "regular waitlist," wouldn't most if not all students on the Priority list be admitted?

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:50 pm

col1 wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:
yenisey wrote:
njkga wrote:
yenisey wrote:
col1 wrote:
Right. The only question I have is what would nullify ones chances of being admitted from the Priority Waitlist? If we assume a # of admits will come from the "regular waitlist," wouldn't most if not all students on the Priority list be admitted?
This goes into territory I'm pretty uncertain about, but I'm not sure if there is anything that would exclude a PL. I haven't looked at any data but I would think all PL people would be offered a spot first. Some people might say no for whatever reason and, I would think, once they exhaust that list they would move onto regular wait list if they didn't have enough takers. If they do actually take regular wait listers without offering to priority listers first I have no idea why, unless it had to do with running out of scholly money or diversity or something.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Okkkk so, for those of you accepted, has anyone emailed to discuss your scholarship offer & heard back?

I tried over a week ago and heard nothing :? I don't want to irritate them by emailing again but not sure what to do. What would you guys do?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sxyrylqq

New

Post by sxyrylqq » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:00 pm

AbbeyS wrote:Okkkk so, for those of you accepted, has anyone emailed to discuss your scholarship offer & heard back?

I tried over a week ago and heard nothing :? I don't want to irritate them by emailing again but not sure what to do. What would you guys do?
FYI, the dean told me that Emory does not negotiate scholarship ...

JDilemma

New

Post by JDilemma » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:15 pm

sxyrylqq wrote:
AbbeyS wrote:Okkkk so, for those of you accepted, has anyone emailed to discuss your scholarship offer & heard back?

I think OP has a new/ improved LSAT score so this may be a different scenario than most.

sxyrylqq

New

Post by sxyrylqq » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:23 pm

JDilemma wrote:
sxyrylqq wrote:

I think OP has a new/ improved LSAT score so this may be a different scenario than most.
You can find someone's post on previous pages with similar situation.... but anyone good luck!

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Last edited by ausimpv on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:44 pm

ausimpv wrote:I have been waitlisted, which I am actually surprised by considering my stats are realllyyy low (only thing that saved me probably was my resume and essays). Emory is one of my top choices. I already registered officially to remain on the WL. & I have made plans to visit Emory on an official tour next month, since I never have. Should I inquire about arrangements to speak with the Dean while there? I was thinking to wait until after I visit to write my LOCI, so I have a better idea of what the school is like and what to say.

The last tour available this semester is on April 15th, so don't wait too long to sign up. Good luck riding the waitlist!

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Last edited by ausimpv on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm

ausimpv wrote:
njkga wrote:
ausimpv wrote:I have been waitlisted, which I am actually surprised by considering my stats are realllyyy low (only thing that saved me probably was my resume and essays). Emory is one of my top choices. I already registered officially to remain on the WL. & I have made plans to visit Emory on an official tour next month, since I never have. Should I inquire about arrangements to speak with the Dean while there? I was thinking to wait until after I visit to write my LOCI, so I have a better idea of what the school is like and what to say.

The last tour available this semester is on April 15th, so don't wait too long to sign up. Good luck riding the waitlist!
Yes, I already registered for a tour date. I was thinking I should wait until after I finish my visit to write my LOCI since it'll be closer to when they start reviewing waitlisted applicants, plus I will finally get a chance to see the school and talk to people about my specific legal interests. I am not sure if it's even possible to talk with the Dean and if it'll help or be frowned upon. I just want to make a good impression on them!
I don't think he was even in the office on the day that I visited, but I didn't ask or try to make those arrangements - they may be amenable if you call ahead of time and ask. They wouldn't be upset just for you asking, so it couldn't hurt.

When I went we started with brief 30 min informational and q/a session in the admissions office with some of the office staff (2l and 3l who work in the admissions office). Then we attended a class. After the class, some other 2l and 3l's gave us a tour of the school and answered questions as we were touring. We had the opportunity to meet a number of other students who just happened to be around and were glad to speak with us and answer our questions. After the tour, we met with career services.

When I attended, I had received my decision already (actually, I received it that morning when I arrived) and so after the tour was officially over one of the 3L's from the admissions office took me out to lunch as sort of an extended informal Q&A session. We went to the little cafe place that is across the street from the law school / next to the business school.

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Last edited by ausimpv on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 pm

ausimpv wrote:
njkga wrote:
ausimpv wrote:
njkga wrote:

Yes, I already registered for a tour date. I was thinking I should wait until after I finish my visit to write my LOCI since it'll be closer to when they start reviewing waitlisted applicants, plus I will finally get a chance to see the school and talk to people about my specific legal interests. I am not sure if it's even possible to talk with the Dean and if it'll help or be frowned upon. I just want to make a good impression on them!
I don't think he was even in the office on the day that I visited, but I didn't ask or try to make those arrangements - they may be amenable if you call ahead of time and ask. They wouldn't be upset just for you asking, so it couldn't hurt.

When I went we started with brief 30 min informational and q/a session in the admissions office with some of the office staff (2l and 3l who work in the admissions office). Then we attended a class. After the class, some other 2l and 3l's gave us a tour of the school and answered questions as we were touring. We had the opportunity to meet a number of other students who just happened to be around and were glad to speak with us and answer our questions. After the tour, we met with career services.

When I attended, I had received my decision already (actually, I received it that morning when I arrived) and so after the tour was officially over one of the 3L's from the admissions office took me out to lunch as sort of an extended informal Q&A session. We went to the little cafe place that is across the street from the law school / next to the business school.
Thank you for the insight. Are you attending Emory now?
No, I am a current applicant for the class of 2019. I will be attending this coming fall.

AbbeyS

Silver

Post by AbbeyS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:08 pm

This might sound like a stupid/shallow question, but what are we supposed to wear during a visit? :lol:

Is casual ok? Or are we expected to dress up?

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

AbbeyS wrote:This might sound like a stupid/shallow question, but what are we supposed to wear during a visit? :lol:

ASD is listed as casual. I can tell you from last year, some people may have taken it a little too far (there was a smattering of velour tracksuits). I believe I went with jeans, desert boots, button-down shirt and shawl-collar cardigan.

For a visit from a prospective/applicant, I'd go business casual -- look put together, like someone admissions wants to have there. After admission? I'd still say business casual -- but I'm non-trad and look awful in cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 am

AbbeyS wrote:This might sound like a stupid/shallow question, but what are we supposed to wear during a visit? :lol:

I think Casual to Business Casual (or somewhere in between) is probably ideal. I plan on wearing a pair of khakis and a polo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”