UGA c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bdb90

Bronze

Re: UGA c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by bdb90 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:35 pm

unsweetened wrote:Someone in the admissions office is more qualified that I am to speak about subjectively qualified v. unqualified students and scholarship tiers. It doesn't seem to make sense why UGA would discriminate against highly qualified in-state residents - what would be the point of that?
I find it hard to put too much stock in data points that are quantitatively and qualitatively sparse. If you are unhappy with the scholarship amount you have been offered, let admissions know your situation with regard to other scholarships and negotiate.

FWIW, a couple of my classmates that were 168+ LSATs were WL'ed or flat out rejected at state flagship universities in their home state. Who knows what the reasoning was behind that?

Regardless of whether or not the points you've assembled are accurate, UGA has announced improvements to the scholarship program this year, so that's good for your cycle. As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I can unequivocally say that Georgia Law isn't predominantly out of state students - that's something everybody finds out on the first day of orientation.
I am sure the students you are referring to with 168+ LSAT scores are from states like Virginia, Michigan, California, maybe Texas, that have extremely competitive state flagship universities (and I am sure that these applicants received in-state tuition fee waivers and more money than their in-state counterparts with similar stats). The points I have assembled are accurate and have been verified using the University of Georgia Law website and the University System of Georgia website. As far as my data points being "quantitatively and qualitatively sparse", let's use US News to back my opinion. Last year the 75th percentile scholarship package was $10,000/yr. Numerous in-state TLS posters and myself have stats that put us well above the 75th percentile of students attending UGA (probably well above the 75th percentile of those attending with scholarships, the LSAC law school calculator gives my stats a 90-100% chance of acceptance), so it would seem that I would be given a scholarship package greater than the 75th percentile. Yet, like everyone else with stats similar to mine or better, I was offered $5,000/yr. I don't doubt that many of the students at UGA law are classified as in-state students and may have even been residents of Georgia before attending, that is not what this "debate" is about. When I stated that demographically speaking the majority of faculty, staff, and students at UGA are most likely not Georgians (meaning they are transplants, their families are not historically from Georgia), regardless of whether or not they are Georgia residents (this is not anecdotal, it's just the truth, a population doesn't naturally rise from 2.2 million in 1900 to 6.5 million in 1990 to over 10 million in 2016, it's just not a natural growth rate). I think someone with reasonable intelligence, like a law student, could understand the difference between where someone grew up and lives versus where someone is actually from. The reason I threw that comment into my previous arguments is due to the fact that transplants may feel that they are entitled to benefits from the state they are currently residing in, and therefore, they may be more inclined to feel that others who are going to be incoming transplants are entitled to the same benefits. As for why in-state students are discriminated against in terms of scholarship dollars, I have no idea why the University of Georgia would do such a thing. I would assume corruption, as they are manipulating the system every time they advise out-of-state students that they can have in-state tuition for their second and third years. If the out-of-state student moved to Georgia before law school started, got a job before law school started, and retained that job through the entirety of their first 12 months in the State of Georgia that would be a different situation. You're in law school, you should understand about principles. It's not the fact that UGA Law is lowballing in-state applicants, it's the fact that they are doing something that seems less-than-legitimate. In all fairness, not a dime of taxpayer money should be spent on out-of-state students.

As for your advice to negotiate scholarship amounts, I think it is sound advice and will be negotiating.

kkrunner

New

Post by kkrunner » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:11 pm

bdb90 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
bdb90 wrote:What is most concerning, however, is the fact that on LSN (and assuming LSN is correct), that many less-qualified out-of-state students are receiving larger scholarship packages after the tuition equalizer than many more highly qualified in-state residents. I understand that UGA is predominantly made up of out-of-state individuals...
links?
Last year:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kkrunner

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CraigTucker

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rebecker

I actually applied this cycle, but I was pleasantly surprised with my scholarship amount. My state school (South Carolina) does the same thing with tuition equalizers for out-of-state applicants, while also low-balling in-state applicants with scholarships.

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:29 pm

I just completed all of my applications for law school last weekend. UGA is my first acceptance of the cycle. I am oos, received a decent scholarship. I have never been to Athens, Georgia, but I have been an REM fan since I was a baby.

If I attend, I hope GA residents are not hostile to me as an oos student.

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:40 pm

kkrunner wrote:
bdb90 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
bdb90 wrote:What is most concerning, however, is the fact that on LSN (and assuming LSN is correct), that many less-qualified out-of-state students are receiving larger scholarship packages after the tuition equalizer than many more highly qualified in-state residents. I understand that UGA is predominantly made up of out-of-state individuals...
links?
Last year:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kkrunner

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CraigTucker

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rebecker

I actually applied this cycle, but I was pleasantly surprised with my scholarship amount. My state school (South Carolina) does the same thing with tuition equalizers for out-of-state applicants, while also low-balling in-state applicants with scholarships.
No offense meant, friend. South Carolinians are always welcome. You understand the frustration with the state flagship not offering decent scholarships to in-state students also then.

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:54 pm

robertwabisabi wrote:I just completed all of my applications for law school last weekend. UGA is my first acceptance of the cycle. I am oos, received a decent scholarship. I have never been to Athens, Georgia, but I have been an REM fan since I was a baby.

If I attend, I hope GA residents are not hostile to me as an oos student.
You should be fine as an out-of-state student at UGA. As I mentioned before, the majority of people who are Georgia residents are not originally from Georgia. As an example, when I was a kid growing up in metro-Atlanta, every year teachers would ask kids in class to raise their hands if they were born in Georgia. About half the class would raise their hands. Parents born in Georgia? Maybe a third. Grandparents? By then I would typically be the only one raising my hand out of a class of 30 or so people, and I lived in a more rural part of metro-Atlanta that hadn't had the massive suburbanization that is metro-Atlanta hit it yet. Now, obviously that statistic would be different if I were in Macon, Valdosta, maybe Augusta. The point is, Georgia residents won't hold grudges because you're not from Georgia, because hell, most of them aren't from Georgia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GApeach1

New

Post by GApeach1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:53 pm

I know it was previously mentioned that they won't be giving out scholarship info until February, but I'm nervous considering my pretty much reverse-splitter status... anyone have any knowledge of anyone with similar stats getting decent scholarships? I don't mind some negotiating.

For reference, barely above 25th percentile LSAT, well above 75th percentile GPA.

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 am

GApeach1 wrote:I know it was previously mentioned that they won't be giving out scholarship info until February, but I'm nervous considering my pretty much reverse-splitter status... anyone have any knowledge of anyone with similar stats getting decent scholarships? I don't mind some negotiating.

For reference, barely above 25th percentile LSAT, well above 75th percentile GPA.
Do you mean merit-based aid or need-based aid? They offered me a merit-based scholarship when they sent me the offer of admission. I think others have received scholarship offers as well.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:33 am

robertwabisabi wrote:
GApeach1 wrote:I know it was previously mentioned that they won't be giving out scholarship info until February, but I'm nervous considering my pretty much reverse-splitter status... anyone have any knowledge of anyone with similar stats getting decent scholarships? I don't mind some negotiating.

Do you mean merit-based aid or need-based aid? They offered me a merit-based scholarship when they sent me the offer of admission. I think others have received scholarship offers as well.
My scholarship offer came about a week after my admission.

GApeach1

New

Post by GApeach1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:39 pm

robertwabisabi wrote:

Either one; all I have received was the letter regarding my admission with a car decal and a written note. I applied mid-December and was admitted in mid-December and I have not received any mention of scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittencastle

New

Post by kittencastle » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:27 pm

GApeach1 wrote:
robertwabisabi wrote:

Either one; all I have received was the letter regarding my admission with a car decal and a written note. I applied mid-December and was admitted in mid-December and I have not received any mention of scholarship.
Mine was lurking in my spam email folder. It was strange, but try checking that.

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 pm

GApeach1 wrote:
robertwabisabi wrote:

I don't suppose it would hurt much to follow up with the admissions office.

You could call or email, ask about fafsa deadlines, and when you might expect to receive info regarding your aid package.

Not sure though, because this whole application process is new to me.

GApeach1

New

Post by GApeach1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:00 pm

robertwabisabi wrote:
GApeach1 wrote:
robertwabisabi wrote:

I don't suppose it would hurt much to follow up with the admissions office.

You could call or email, ask about fafsa deadlines, and when you might expect to receive info regarding your aid package.

Not sure though, because this whole application process is new to me.
Thanks, yeah I think I will do that next week... Just getting a little anxious haha

GApeach1

New

Post by GApeach1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm

kittencastle wrote:
GApeach1 wrote:
robertwabisabi wrote:

Mine was lurking in my spam email folder. It was strange, but try checking that.
I thought about that too and checked, but nothing to be found :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sucreroux

New

Post by sucreroux » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm

anyone familiar if UGA is generous with application waivers and how to go about that? couldn't find anything on their website about it and they are one of the only schools I am applying to that didn't offer it already.

GApeach1

New

Post by GApeach1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:39 pm

sucreroux wrote:anyone familiar if UGA is generous with application waivers and how to go about that? couldn't find anything on their website about it and they are one of the only schools I am applying to that didn't offer it already.
Although I was emailed one without asking, I've heard they give them away fairly freely. With a couple of schools, I just sent one of their admissions deans or assistants an email with my LSAT, my GPA, and my interest in their school, along with mentioning that I am hoping they could offer me an application waiver to apply. It worked both times for me, with a response and a waiver within a day or two. I'm sure if you did the same with UGA, they would give you one as well.

law_dawg18

New

Post by law_dawg18 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:29 pm

Any news or rumors about another wave of decisions? Tomorrow marks 8 full weeks since I submitted and my status still says "under review, will take 6-8 weeks to render decision"

halppppp UGA pls.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 pm

sucreroux wrote:anyone familiar if UGA is generous with application waivers and how to go about that? couldn't find anything on their website about it and they are one of the only schools I am applying to that didn't offer it already.
Just email and ask. If they deny you a waiver, go to the website to order a look book. The waiver should be included in the book. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

colonel4bin

New

Post by colonel4bin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Submitted my application yesterday and just was notified it's now under review.

Any guess as to how long I should be waiting? Looking at LSN makes me think I could hear back as early as this week...am I being too hopeful?

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 pm

colonel4bin wrote:Submitted my application yesterday and just was notified it's now under review.

Any guess as to how long I should be waiting? Looking at LSN makes me think I could hear back as early as this week...am I being too hopeful?
Probably depends on your stats. I'm >75% LSAT score and at the median GPA, and got a decision as well as scholarship info a week after I went under review. Good luck!

LawMullet

New

Post by LawMullet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:29 pm

lawlaura3494 wrote:
colonel4bin wrote:Submitted my application yesterday and just was notified it's now under review.

Probably depends on your stats. I'm >75% LSAT score and at the median GPA, and got a decision as well as scholarship info a week after I went under review. Good luck!
25% GPA and ~median LSAT, accepted and received scholly offer 4 days after submission, although that was late November. Here's hoping you hear good news soon! :D

colonel4bin

New

Post by colonel4bin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:04 pm

LawMullet wrote:
lawlaura3494 wrote:

25% GPA and ~median LSAT, accepted and received scholly offer 4 days after submission, although that was late November. Here's hoping you hear good news soon! :D
Thanks! I'm 25% GPA and median LSAT as well. Hoping that I didn't apply too late in the cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MacDhubstep

New

Post by MacDhubstep » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Wait listed as of 1/2, 160 LSAT and 3.77 GPA. Applied 12/3

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiations yet?

Charlestonsfb60

New

Post by Charlestonsfb60 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 pm

bdb90 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:Someone in the admissions office is more qualified that I am to speak about subjectively qualified v. unqualified students and scholarship tiers. It doesn't seem to make sense why UGA would discriminate against highly qualified in-state residents - what would be the point of that?
I find it hard to put too much stock in data points that are quantitatively and qualitatively sparse. If you are unhappy with the scholarship amount you have been offered, let admissions know your situation with regard to other scholarships and negotiate.

FWIW, a couple of my classmates that were 168+ LSATs were WL'ed or flat out rejected at state flagship universities in their home state. Who knows what the reasoning was behind that?

Regardless of whether or not the points you've assembled are accurate, UGA has announced improvements to the scholarship program this year, so that's good for your cycle. As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I can unequivocally say that Georgia Law isn't predominantly out of state students - that's something everybody finds out on the first day of orientation.
I am sure the students you are referring to with 168+ LSAT scores are from states like Virginia, Michigan, California, maybe Texas, that have extremely competitive state flagship universities (and I am sure that these applicants received in-state tuition fee waivers and more money than their in-state counterparts with similar stats). The points I have assembled are accurate and have been verified using the University of Georgia Law website and the University System of Georgia website. As far as my data points being "quantitatively and qualitatively sparse", let's use US News to back my opinion. Last year the 75th percentile scholarship package was $10,000/yr. Numerous in-state TLS posters and myself have stats that put us well above the 75th percentile of students attending UGA (probably well above the 75th percentile of those attending with scholarships, the LSAC law school calculator gives my stats a 90-100% chance of acceptance), so it would seem that I would be given a scholarship package greater than the 75th percentile. Yet, like everyone else with stats similar to mine or better, I was offered $5,000/yr. I don't doubt that many of the students at UGA law are classified as in-state students and may have even been residents of Georgia before attending, that is not what this "debate" is about. When I stated that demographically speaking the majority of faculty, staff, and students at UGA are most likely not Georgians (meaning they are transplants, their families are not historically from Georgia), regardless of whether or not they are Georgia residents (this is not anecdotal, it's just the truth, a population doesn't naturally rise from 2.2 million in 1900 to 6.5 million in 1990 to over 10 million in 2016, it's just not a natural growth rate). I think someone with reasonable intelligence, like a law student, could understand the difference between where someone grew up and lives versus where someone is actually from. The reason I threw that comment into my previous arguments is due to the fact that transplants may feel that they are entitled to benefits from the state they are currently residing in, and therefore, they may be more inclined to feel that others who are going to be incoming transplants are entitled to the same benefits. As for why in-state students are discriminated against in terms of scholarship dollars, I have no idea why the University of Georgia would do such a thing. I would assume corruption, as they are manipulating the system every time they advise out-of-state students that they can have in-state tuition for their second and third years. If the out-of-state student moved to Georgia before law school started, got a job before law school started, and retained that job through the entirety of their first 12 months in the State of Georgia that would be a different situation. You're in law school, you should understand about principles. It's not the fact that UGA Law is lowballing in-state applicants, it's the fact that they are doing something that seems less-than-legitimate. In all fairness, not a dime of taxpayer money should be spent on out-of-state students.

As for your advice to negotiate scholarship amounts, I think it is sound advice and will be negotiating.
I just read this ridiculous post from a couple weeks ago. Please don't come to UGA. Not only is this terrible reasoning but it could be construed as deeply discriminatory. Are you seriously trying to make a meaningful distinction between where "somebody grew up and lives versus where they are from"? And a distinction between people born in Georgia but their parents were not versus people whose grandparents were born in Georgia? Great-grandparents? Where does this distinction end for you? Do you believe you deserve more money because your great great granddaddy fought for the Confederacy?
UGA tries to recruit the most qualified applicants across the Southeast and the country. Don't get butt hurt because you were initially offered a smaller scholarship- they raise everyone's throughout the cycle anyways.

bdb90

Bronze

Post by bdb90 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Charlestonsfb60 wrote:
bdb90 wrote:

I just read this ridiculous post from a couple weeks ago. Please don't come to UGA. Not only is this terrible reasoning but it could be construed as deeply discriminatory. Are you seriously trying to make a meaningful distinction between where "somebody grew up and lives versus where they are from"? And a distinction between people born in Georgia but their parents were not versus people whose grandparents were born in Georgia? Great-grandparents? Where does this distinction end for you? Do you believe you deserve more money because your great great granddaddy fought for the Confederacy?
UGA tries to recruit the most qualified applicants across the Southeast and the country. Don't get butt hurt because you were initially offered a smaller scholarship- they raise everyone's throughout the cycle anyways.
Unfortunately, individuals like yourself may be attending UGA, based on your logical reasoning skills I would almost guarantee that you attend UGA (162 median LSAT). UGA is failing at recruiting, that is why their LSAT scores have dropped. What is worse is that they are failing Georgians. Georgia law has enough Georgia residents with high LSAT scores that they could be doing much better than they currently are, and save money by not giving in-state tuition equalizers to out-of-state applicants. There is a huge difference between where someone is born and where they are from. Unfortunately in the United States, that has been forgotten. Based on your opinions, I would hope that you are not at UGA, but I fear that you may be. It is sad that someone like you, who most likely has no ties to the State of Georgia, would be telling a Georgian to not go to UGA. Of course individuals who descend from the original families of a state or a country deserve more funding, their families have invested more time, money, energy into the state. If you founded a company, and put all of the time and effort into making that company profitable, would you want someone walking right in a reaping all of the benefits? However, that was not my main argument when it came to scholarships, it was that Georgia residents (including all those non-Georgians that pay state income taxes to Georgia) be given greater financial aid packages than non-residents. That makes logical sense even in the "politically correct" world, because Georgia Law is funded by taxes collected from Georgia residents. The State of Georgia would not exist if it was not for my family, and the families of many Confederate descendants, so you are welcome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”