ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SlithyTove

Bronze

Re: ASU c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by SlithyTove » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:48 pm

oh lawd wrote:Just got an email saying ASU would like to discuss a "more competitive" scholarship offer as a result of "the Dean freeing up more scholarship funds."

It seemed like a mass email, although I don't know how mass. I've been waiting to hear back from ASU about a more competitive scholarship offer since the holidays when I got a full ride offer from UofA. Did anybody else get this email?
I haven't gotten this but I also haven't gotten a decision yet. I like the sound of this though! When you say you've "been waiting to hear back", did you reach out to them about renegotiating your scholarship offer? Or was this email totally unsolicited?

oh lawd

New

Post by oh lawd » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
oh lawd wrote:Just got an email saying ASU would like to discuss a "more competitive" scholarship offer as a result of "the Dean freeing up more scholarship funds."

It seemed like a mass email, although I don't know how mass. I've been waiting to hear back from ASU about a more competitive scholarship offer since the holidays when I got a full ride offer from UofA. Did anybody else get this email?
I haven't gotten this but I also haven't gotten a decision yet. I like the sound of this though! When you say you've "been waiting to hear back", did you reach out to them about renegotiating your scholarship offer? Or was this email totally unsolicited?

Yeah, I reached out a little while ago, but this wasn't in response to my request. It was a separate e-mail that didn't mention previous requests for increased aid. I can't tell if it was

A) A mass email sent out to students who have been accepted but not made a decision
B) An email sent out to students who have been accepted and attempted to negotiate
C) An email sent to me and only me.

I'm glad it happened though. ASU has been one of my top choices since I started studying for the LSAT and an increased offer could seal the deal and I could put the whole waiting game/ anticipation anxiety behind me.

icantwait

New

Post by icantwait » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:04 pm

oh lawd wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:

Yeah, I reached out a little while ago, but this wasn't in response to my request. It was a separate e-mail that didn't mention previous requests for increased aid. I can't tell if it was

A) A mass email sent out to students who have been accepted but not made a decision
B) An email sent out to students who have been accepted and attempted to negotiate

I'm glad it happened though. ASU has been one of my top choices since I started studying for the LSAT and an increased offer could seal the deal and I could put the whole waiting game/ anticipation anxiety behind me.
I can confirm option A.

ETA: Perhaps not the mass part. But I received the email and had not yet attempted to negotiate.

oh lawd

New

Post by oh lawd » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 pm

icantwait wrote:
oh lawd wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:

I can confirm option A.

ETA: Perhaps not the mass part. But I received the email and had not yet attempted to negotiate.
Bummer. I wonder why scholarship suddenly came available. Massive donation, or more likely that their current class has poor numbers but a lot of $$$ coming in (in other words most of their accepted offers are students who will pay them a lot of money but don't have top-30 numbers)? I've always been told that if you're trying to negotiate you're rooting for applicants in the 25th percentile to accept their sticker price offers so that the school has a ton of breathing room to offer scholarship but needs the high numbers to keep their ranking.

Huskies13!

Bronze

Post by Huskies13! » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Why "bummer?" I think it is pretty common--schools want to make sure you don't turn them down by thinking the first offer is the only offer. They will still usually require you to document that you have other, better, offers in order to "up" the scholarship. But i would look at that email as a way of sending a message that there is still money! Not many schools have much to give...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sdickey7

New

Post by sdickey7 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:42 am

For those of you that applied after the early admission deadline, about how long did it take you to receive a decision from ASU? Did the status change on your application page, or did they call you first? My application went into review on 1/19, and I am anxiously waiting.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:28 pm

sdickey7 wrote:For those of you that applied after the early admission deadline, about how long did it take you to receive a decision from ASU? Did the status change on your application page, or did they call you first? My application went into review on 1/19, and I am anxiously waiting.

I've been In Review since 1/11 so things are definitely moving more slowly than they were before Christmas. I'd love to know if anyone who submitted after Christmas has gotten a decision yet though.

jessicavgc22

New

Post by jessicavgc22 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 pm

mstone219 wrote:
jessicavgc22 wrote:I am submitting my binding application today, and I am extremely nervous! Did anyone else submit the binding application??
I submitted my binding app last week, so your nervousness is completely relatable. Have you heard back with good news yet?
Will I be seeing you in class? :)

Side note, 3.4 GPA and 156 December LSAT (I got rocked on LG which is usually my best section by far). Retaking the LSAT in February, holding my app for review pending those scores. SWEATING it out because I won't hear back til end of March...!

Anyone else interested in the sport law curriculum?
My application remains on hold, most likely due to my LSAT score. I am still waiting for an official decision.

Best of luck :)

mstone219

New

Post by mstone219 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 pm

jessicavgc22 wrote:
mstone219 wrote:
jessicavgc22 wrote:I am submitting my binding application today, and I am extremely nervous! Did anyone else submit the binding application??
I submitted my binding app last week, so your nervousness is completely relatable. Have you heard back with good news yet?
Will I be seeing you in class? :)

Side note, 3.4 GPA and 156 December LSAT (I got rocked on LG which is usually my best section by far). Retaking the LSAT in February, holding my app for review pending those scores. SWEATING it out because I won't hear back til end of March...!

Anyone else interested in the sport law curriculum?
My application remains on hold, most likely due to my LSAT score. I am still waiting for an official decision.

Best of luck :)

How was your score? Do you mind sharing your stats? Nervous as hell, trying to seek comfort anywhere lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 pm

I got a voicemail today informing me that the Dean of Admissions would be in my area soon and offered me the chance to meet with him over lunch or dinner. It sounded very informal, not like an interview. Sounds like a good opportunity to get some face time and ask questions but just curious if anyone else had done anything similar? Looking over the thread all I saw were people that went to a reception.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Shib26 wrote:I got a voicemail today informing me that the Dean of Admissions would be in my area soon and offered me the chance to meet with him over lunch or dinner. It sounded very informal, not like an interview. Sounds like a good opportunity to get some face time and ask questions but just curious if anyone else had done anything similar? Looking over the thread all I saw were people that went to a reception.
Recall is name?

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Shib26 wrote:I got a voicemail today informing me that the Dean of Admissions would be in my area soon and offered me the chance to meet with him over lunch or dinner. It sounded very informal, not like an interview. Sounds like a good opportunity to get some face time and ask questions but just curious if anyone else had done anything similar? Looking over the thread all I saw were people that went to a reception.
Recall is name?
All I got was Adam

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Shib26 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Recall is name?
All I got was Adam
Ah, I know who he is but never had much interaction with him. Like you said, probably a good opportunity to learn more. I would take advantage of it. Are you borderline candidate or auto admit? If closer to latter, might be good time to ask about scholarships

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Shib26 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Recall is name?
All I got was Adam
Ah, I know who he is but never had much interaction with him. Like you said, probably a good opportunity to learn more. I would take advantage of it. Are you borderline candidate or auto admit? If closer to latter, might be good time to ask about scholarships
I think I'm strong but not quite auto admit, LSAT above 75th but gpa is lacking. I'll try to take advantage of it though. Should also be a good opportunity to show my interest since I am an out of stater.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Just got a call from the Dean (of the law school, not admissions) letting me know I got in today. That was pretty damn impressive, I'll say. I've never heard from a Dean.

I can imagine worse things than spending three years in warm weather. Well played, ASU, well played.

sdickey7

New

Post by sdickey7 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 pm

fliptrip wrote:Just got a call from the Dean (of the law school, not admissions) letting me know I got in today. That was pretty damn impressive, I'll say. I've never heard from a Dean.

I can imagine worse things than spending three years in warm weather. Well played, ASU, well played.

Congrats! When did you apply?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 pm

sdickey7 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:Just got a call from the Dean (of the law school, not admissions) letting me know I got in today. That was pretty damn impressive, I'll say. I've never heard from a Dean.

I submitted a week ago, I think. I'm >75th LSAT, 50-75th GPA URM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:58 pm

fliptrip wrote:
sdickey7 wrote:

I submitted a week ago, I think. I'm >75th LSAT, 50-75th GPA URM.
Any mention of scholarships in the call?

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Accepted tonight! Got a voicemail from Dean Sylvester himself to give me the news. Hate that I couldn't answer it when he called, but thought it was a very nice personal touch to the acceptance. I probably won't be able to make it for ASW but am looking into the possibility of freeing my schedule up because I'd love to check it out in person.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 pm

sdickey7 wrote:For those of you that applied after the early admission deadline, about how long did it take you to receive a decision from ASU? Did the status change on your application page, or did they call you first? My application went into review on 1/19, and I am anxiously waiting.
Just checking in; have you heard anything yet? I'm still in review since 1/11 and haven't heard much on here from people who submitted in January so I'm really curious about what kind of wait we're in for.

sdickey7

New

Post by sdickey7 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:32 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
Just checking in; have you heard anything yet? I'm still in review since 1/11 and haven't heard much on here from people who submitted in January so I'm really curious about what kind of wait we're in for.

I haven't heard anything, have you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:02 pm

sdickey7 wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:

I haven't heard anything, have you?
Not a peep. Hopefully we'll both hear soon!

heyimliz

New

Post by heyimliz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:37 am

Anyone else going to the program for admitted students on March 17th and 18th? I've never been to Phoenix and ASU is where I plan to go, so I figured I better check it out!

OhFrapjousJoy

New

Post by OhFrapjousJoy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Hey all,

I applied via the binding O'Connor merit and my letter of intent is due before I've had the chance to negotiate scholarships. Do I lose the illusion of bargaining power by signing before negotiation? I am serious about saying that I won't attend this cycle if the scholarship offer isn't generous enough, but then I would feel disingenuous that I signed the letter of intent. Do they care? The initial offer is close to full, but not actually full. Who did you guys communicate with when negotiating?

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:05 pm

OhFrapjousJoy wrote:Hey all,

I applied via the binding O'Connor merit and my letter of intent is due before I've had the chance to negotiate scholarships. Do I lose the illusion of bargaining power by signing before negotiation? I am serious about saying that I won't attend this cycle if the scholarship offer isn't generous enough, but then I would feel disingenuous that I signed the letter of intent. Do they care? The initial offer is close to full, but not actually full. Who did you guys communicate with when negotiating?

You were admitted under the binding O'Connor Merit Scholars Program? Based on the sample Binding Admissions Contract on the ASU website (https://www.law.asu.edu/node/1573) I'd say you don't have much of a leg to stand on; by applying and being accepted through that program, you've already agreed to attend, regardless of your financial aid outcomes. I mean, it specifically says "If admitted under the O’Connor Merit Scholars program, I will enroll at ASU Law in August 2016." I'd take that to mean they do care.

Just out of curiosity, what would be "generous enough"? You've already got close to a full scholarship and since you've already committed to going it seems unlikely that they'd negotiate further.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”