0L Ladies - Female C/O 2019 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Who's your legal role model?

Michelle Alexander
6%
Fatou Bensouda
1%
Mary Bonauto
No votes
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
43%
Sandra Day O'Connor
8%
Loretta Lynch
2%
Martha Minow
2%
Michelle Obama
17%
Sonia Sotomayor
8%
Elizabeth Warren
13%

Total votes: 262

janderson821

Bronze

Re: 0L Ladies - Female C/O 2019 Applicants

Post by janderson821 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:
Supercalifragilistic wrote:
janderson821 wrote:Would it be a terrible idea to get the pink macbook?
My friend has one... it's GORGEOUS!!!! Super cute and tiny/lightweight. I wish they made the Macbook Pro in pink too.. I'd be all on it. There aren't any USB ports or anything so that's a major turn-off for me. She had to get all these attachments and add-ons for some of the basic ports that I know I'll be using often.
Coming back to this...I went into the apple store today and compared models and decided that I'm gonna get the new macbook for law school. Would it be seen as too girly or unprofessional to have the pink one if I ever happened to bring it into an office setting? I really like the pink
I debated about this for about a month! I really liked the pink too. I ended up going with the space gray though just in case I need it in a professional setting. I figured I could always get a girly pink case but I can't change the color of the computer.

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:34 am

janderson821 wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
My friend has one... it's GORGEOUS!!!! Super cute and tiny/lightweight. I wish they made the Macbook Pro in pink too.. I'd be all on it. There aren't any USB ports or anything so that's a major turn-off for me. She had to get all these attachments and add-ons for some of the basic ports that I know I'll be using often.
Coming back to this...I went into the apple store today and compared models and decided that I'm gonna get the new macbook for law school. Would it be seen as too girly or unprofessional to have the pink one if I ever happened to bring it into an office setting? I really like the pink
I debated about this for about a month! I really liked the pink too. I ended up going with the space gray though just in case I need it in a professional setting. I figured I could always get a girly pink case but I can't change the color of the computer.
Same! I think the pink is beautiful, though.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:02 pm

janderson821 wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
Or you could get a neutral case to put over it. I have a keyboard cover and stuff anyway so you don't end up seeing much of the laptop

TuxedoCats

New

Post by TuxedoCats » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:33 am

Ladies, I need to vent. I'm a 31 year old non-traditional lady applicant with a grad degree and a pretty good career already, making six figures in a job I really like. I'm applying to the part time program of an inexpensive regional school in the second tier, my number are eh, and I probably won't get money. I don't care if I get money because I'm going to keep working and I can just pay for it outright. It's also one of three law schools in my state, and I don't want to go to the other two because one is crazy expensive and the other is very far away. I want to go to law school because I think I can do more with both degrees than one.

The retake brigade would say "retake, you idiot, don't be lazy" but if I'm going to do this I need to do it NOW. My husband and I want kids. By the time I finish I'll be 36 with my fertility in decline. If I wait a year to retake, that's one less year of trying to have a baby. This is something that 23 year old male applicants would never have to think about. It's something that men in general don't have to think about.

I'm not really looking for advice, I just wanted to get this out there.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 am

TuxedoCats wrote:Ladies, I need to vent. I'm a 31 year old non-traditional lady applicant with a grad degree and a pretty good career already, making six figures in a job I really like. I'm applying to the part time program of an inexpensive regional school in the second tier, my number are eh, and I probably won't get money. I don't care if I get money because I'm going to keep working and I can just pay for it outright. It's also one of three law schools in my state, and I don't want to go to the other two because one is crazy expensive and the other is very far away. I want to go to law school because I think I can do more with both degrees than one.

The retake brigade would say "retake, you idiot, don't be lazy" but if I'm going to do this I need to do it NOW. My husband and I want kids. By the time I finish I'll be 36 with my fertility in decline. If I wait a year to retake, that's one less year of trying to have a baby. This is something that 23 year old male applicants would never have to think about. It's something that men in general don't have to think about.

Best time to have a baby is when you're in law school........

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:09 am

TuxedoCats wrote:Ladies, I need to vent. I'm a 31 year old non-traditional lady applicant with a grad degree and a pretty good career already, making six figures in a job I really like. I'm applying to the part time program of an inexpensive regional school in the second tier, my number are eh, and I probably won't get money. I don't care if I get money because I'm going to keep working and I can just pay for it outright. It's also one of three law schools in my state, and I don't want to go to the other two because one is crazy expensive and the other is very far away. I want to go to law school because I think I can do more with both degrees than one.

I wish there were a snaps emoticon thing re: things 23yo male applicants don't think about. If you have a job you like and the point of going to law school is being able to do more with an additional degree, it makes sense that you would want go to a school that is inexpensive and nearby.

Not that you need advice, but one thing that may put less pressure on you in regards to biological timeline is to keep in mind it's possible to start the process in 3L and try for a summer delivery after graduation so that you won't have to wait to graduate to start and 3L is generally less stressful than 1L and 2L (and Direct un/subsidized loans don't go into repayment until 6 months after graduation). Having kids isn't something I personally want to do, but as a slightly older applicant (27yo) this is something I've heard has worked well as a timeline for people in their early 30s in law school who had a s/o with health insurance. Good luck with everything!

TuxedoCats

New

Post by TuxedoCats » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:

I wish there were a snaps emoticon thing re: things 23yo male applicants don't think about. If you have a job you like and the point of going to law school is being able to do more with an additional degree, it makes sense that you would want go to a school that is inexpensive and nearby.

Not that you need advice, but one thing that may put less pressure on you in regards to biological timeline is to keep in mind it's possible to start the process in 3L and try for a summer delivery after graduation so that you won't have to wait to graduate to start and 3L is generally less stressful than 1L and 2L (and Direct un/subsidized loans don't go into repayment until 6 months after graduation). Having kids isn't something I personally want to do, but as a slightly older applicant (27yo) this is something I've heard has worked well as a timeline for people in their early 30s in law school who had a s/o with health insurance. Good luck with everything!
That's true, if the timing worked out for the beginning of 4L (as a part-timer) I could be the most pregnant law student ever to walk across the stage. Thanks!

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi! I'm also a non-trad going to a lower ranked school in my area because it makes more sense than the higher-ranked options in my state. And 36 definitely isn't too old to start having kids. We have a couple of kiddos, and husband likes to joke about having another during 3L. While it's NOT HAPPENING, I do generally agree that it's good timing, school/career-wise. Best of luck to you!

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Or during 4L :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soccerchick

New

Post by soccerchick » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:05 pm

So ladies. Trying to find some clothes with all these sales going on right now, does anyone know if most people wear more business casual outfits during the first week?

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:23 pm

soccerchick wrote:So ladies. Trying to find some clothes with all these sales going on right now, does anyone know if most people wear more business casual outfits during the first week?
I think it's more on the casual side (jeans + cardigan + flats level-of-casual), based on friends' experience, but schools may vary. Depending on temperature, maybe a sundress and cardigan? I tend to be overdressed, so I'm going to aim for casual and hope to end up in the middle.

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:10 pm

janderson821 wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
Or you could get a neutral case to put over it. I have a keyboard cover and stuff anyway so you don't end up seeing much of the laptop
Ended up getting the pink one. I love it. If I have to bring it to work someday ill get a dark case

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Nice! I'd decided to get the space gray, then changed my mind entirely and was just going to get another MacBook Pro (mine is several years old), but when we went to the store I couldn't stop playing with the pink one. I didn't end up getting one yet because I can't decide!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:43 am

I delayed law school by 10 years so that I could have kids and stay at home with them. I understand your frustration!

Retaking the LSAT is idealistic. Not all of us have the time or even resources. The cost benefit of retaking isn't the same for everyone.

LSAT retake criticism is nothing as compared to the opinionated remarks you'll get as a parent. Nothing you do is right. People have strong opinions about how you do everything. Try talking about circumcision without getting death threats from both sides of the isle.

Good luck with starting a family!

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm striking out in the planner search. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sleek weekly planner? My goal is to find something that could fall out of my bag during OCI and not cause embarrassment (no florals, bright colors, stripes, etc.)

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 pm

twokings wrote:I'm striking out in the planner search. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sleek weekly planner? My goal is to find something that could fall out of my bag during OCI and not cause embarrassment (no florals, bright colors, stripes, etc.)
Moleskine

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:31 am

twokings wrote:I'm striking out in the planner search. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sleek weekly planner? My goal is to find something that could fall out of my bag during OCI and not cause embarrassment (no florals, bright colors, stripes, etc.)
I'm a huge fan of the Planner Pad. The standard size is pretty big (8.5x11"), but they do have a smaller size available. It comes in a nice basic black (I have the light green, which is also lovely), and you can have your name printed on the cover. I also looove the interior layout of the pages and think the system's done wonders for me over the past year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zarzamora

New

Post by zarzamora » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:13 am

FYI for anyone looking to buy a backpack or messenger bag: timbuk2 is having some pretty good sales right now. I just got the sunset backpack for $80 :D
http://www.timbuk2.com/sale

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:56 am

This was my struggle in finding one with all the function that I need. Is it super embarrassing for class to have florals?

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm

I really like the look of everlane's backpacks-- any idea how durable/well made they are?

https://www.everlane.com/collections/wo ... erse-denim

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”