On waitlist for Brooklyn Law, but recieved an admission offer through email. I have a few questions. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chowfun

Bronze

On waitlist for Brooklyn Law, but recieved an admission offer through email. I have a few questions.

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 7:41 am

I originally applied for the pt admission, as I have a really great job and can move up within the company...especially in our corp. law department. Therefore, I applied to all pt programs in nyc. I got waitlisted to BL and am waiting to hear back from one more.

BL waitlisted me on the 22nd. On May 12th I was sent an email with the subject line reading Brooklyn Law Admission Offer. It was sent by an associate director of admission. All I had to do was reply that I was still interested in attending their pt program. I did same, so does this mean I am accepted? It seems laid back and unofficial, but the email subject line said admission offer.

Anyone familiar with this?

WheatThins

Bronze

Re: On waitlist for Brooklyn Law, but recieved an admission offer through email. I have a few questions.

Post by WheatThins » Wed May 13, 2015 7:55 am

Why don't you just call the school and talk to them?

Chowfun

Bronze

Re: On waitlist for Brooklyn Law, but recieved an admission offer through email. I have a few questions.

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 8:19 am

Now don't you think I thought of the most logical explanation first? lol

You are right! However, with things like this I get nervous and assume through reading the email I must have missed something, so I seek advice from others who may be going through the same thing. This way if I'm wrong, and I only expressed my thoughts to you guys, I don't feel so bad or like an idiot.

:(

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 am

Without seeing the wording of the email we cannot offer you any real advice. I would believe however, that they want to make sure you are actually interested in attending before they offer you REAL admission and this is how they chose to do so. I would expect that they send you a real offer later today. However, as I mentioned above, without seeing the actual language of their initial email, this is entirely speculative.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 9:12 am

Call the school. Be polite and not crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 am

MurdockLLP wrote:Without seeing the wording of the email we cannot offer you any real advice. I would believe however, that they want to make sure you are actually interested in attending before they offer you REAL admission and this is how they chose to do so. I would expect that they send you a real offer later today. However, as I mentioned above, without seeing the actual language of their initial email, this is entirely speculative.

The subject line read, "Brooklyn Law Admission Offer!"

The body of the email is as follows:

BLS still has openings in its pt program for this fall.
We are now turning to candidates on that list to determine
whether or not they are still interested in enrolling at BLS as a pt student.
If you believe that you are likely to accept an offer from us and to enroll, please respond.
Ideally, we'd like to hear from you as soon as possible, no later than May 18th. I hope you accept our offer.

-End email.

On one way I see it as an offer and on the other as they are still considering me.

Hmm..

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 9:28 am

Hopefully the writer of this e-mail does not teach legal writing. (Turn the email over to read the disclaimer.)

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 13, 2015 9:30 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:Call the school. Be polite and not crazy.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 am

Seems to me that they are trying to protect their yield. I would say that they will most likely send you an offer soon, but they very well could be just trying to clean up their waitlist. According to Spivey, we should see some waitlist movement on Friday, so I would lean closer to the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 9:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Hopefully the writer of this e-mail does not teach legal writing. (Turn the email over to read the disclaimer.)

:) There is no disclaimer. I was suspicious until I checked out the signature and address.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed May 13, 2015 9:36 am

Chowfun wrote:Now don't you think I thought of the most logical explanation first? lol

You are right! However, with things like this I get nervous and assume through reading the email I must have missed something, so I seek advice from others who may be going through the same thing. This way if I'm wrong, and I only expressed my thoughts to you guys, I don't feel so bad or like an idiot.

It seems like you are unsure. It seems like some of us aren't quite sure either. You know who probably has the answer? The school. Call them.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

MurdockLLP wrote:Seems to me that they are trying to protect their yield. I would say that they will most likely send you an offer soon, but they very well could be just trying to clean up their waitlist. According to Spivey, we should see some waitlist movement on Friday, so I would lean closer to the offer.
I shall wait till Friday, if nothing I will follow up on Monday.

I'm not familiar with Spivey. Do they have any information on final decisions yet? I'm still waiting for a response from Fordham. I received a date change on Friday. In my experience, a decision was rendered no more than 2 days after the status change. I'm assuming the institution is swamped with applications, hence the delay.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 9:41 am

bjsesq wrote:
Chowfun wrote:Now don't you think I thought of the most logical explanation first? lol

It seems like you are unsure. It seems like some of us aren't quite sure either. You know who probably has the answer? The school. Call them.

Nicely put, you are right...others too. I'll call, if I don't hear back by Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 am

I agree with the general consensus to call the school, but it does sound like yield protection. Doesn't sound like an official offer, more like "If we did offer, would you accept?" e-mail.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 am

Nvm they actually called me. lol However, I'm still wondering what is going on with Fordham.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”