Seat deposits and waiting for responses Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knimmz

New

Seat deposits and waiting for responses

Post by knimmz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

seat deposits for schools are due but I haven't received responses from all the schools I've applied to, so I was wondering what does that mean? like they don't expect me to send a deposit before a response right? and what if I'm waitlisted, if I don't know if I'm getting off the waitlist should I still send a deposit? :? :?:

1scout23

New

Re: Seat deposits and waiting for responses

Post by 1scout23 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:44 pm

1. Unfortunately, they do. To be safe, I would definitely send in a deposit to a school if you think there's a chance you may not get into the school you are still waiting for. If you'd rather just wait another cycle for that target school, I wouldn't bother, but if you really want to go to school in the fall, yes, deposit. If you don't deposit at the deadline, your spot will probably go to a waitlister. I personally wouldn't risk having to write to the school later explaining why I didn't deposit on time.
It's painful, but some schools will partially refund your deposit if you withdraw by a certain point before the semester starts.
2. If you are on the waitlist, don't send in a deposit. The school will give you an exception or prolonged time to deposit, if there's no logistical way you could have known you'd get off the waitlist in the future.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 pm

1scout23 wrote:1. Unfortunately, they do. To be safe, I would definitely send in a deposit to a school if you think there's a chance you may not get into the school you are still waiting for. If you'd rather just wait another cycle for that target school, I wouldn't bother, but if you really want to go to school in the fall, yes, deposit. If you don't deposit at the deadline, your spot will probably go to a waitlister. I personally wouldn't risk having to write to the school later explaining why I didn't deposit on time.
It's painful, but some schools will partially refund your deposit if you withdraw by a certain point before the semester starts.
2. If you are on the waitlist, don't send in a deposit. The school will give you an exception or prolonged time to deposit, if there's no logistical way you could have known you'd get off the waitlist in the future.
In response to 1scout23's response to #1, I had actually never heard that! Good to know...But maybe just call and double check? Some schools require the deposit to be submitted a certain number of days after you receive the acceptance rather than by a certain date (though most schools are by a certain date). My instinctual reaction is to think it is odd to submit a deposit before any decision has been made on your application.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:54 pm

ehhh is the question whether you should pay a deposit at schools from which you haven't gotten a decision? because if so the answer is obviously 'no'

ETA: if you're on the waitlist, the answer is also 'no' by the way

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I agree. Call and be sure. In my experience, after being accepted after the seat deposits last year, the school gave me a window (usually 7-14 days) to place a deposit. It is quite insane for schools to expect seat deposits ($1000 in the case of GWU) without the applicant having knowledge of their outcome. This would be a cash cow, if schools could get away with this. Instincts and experience tell me a resounding NO. But, it doesn't hurt to call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:01 pm

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:03 pm

JHP wrote:
1scout23 wrote:1. Unfortunately, they do. To be safe, I would definitely send in a deposit to a school if you think there's a chance you may not get into the school you are still waiting for. If you'd rather just wait another cycle for that target school, I wouldn't bother, but if you really want to go to school in the fall, yes, deposit. If you don't deposit at the deadline, your spot will probably go to a waitlister. I personally wouldn't risk having to write to the school later explaining why I didn't deposit on time.
In response to 1scout23's response to #1, I had actually never heard that! Good to know...But maybe just call and double check? Some schools require the deposit to be submitted a certain number of days after you receive the acceptance rather than by a certain date (though most schools are by a certain date). My instinctual reaction is to think it is odd to submit a deposit before any decision has been made on your application.
In an attempt to clear up some ambiguity/confusion here, I'm pretty sure scout was saying in part 1 that schools from which you have already received a response from will expect you to deposit by their deadline, regardless of whether or not you are still waiting on responses from other schools.

Hypothetically, assume OP applied to schools A and B, receiving admission to A and waitlist at B. If both schools have the seat-deposit deadline on April 17, school A would expect a deposit from OP, while school B would not. Obviously, you wouldn't send a seat deposit to a school where you are still on the waitlist- there's nothing to "secure;" you have no seat.

ETA: Scooped by Gray

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Hand wrote:ehhh is the question whether you should pay a deposit at schools from which you haven't gotten a decision? because if so the answer is obviously 'no'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”