Duke Law Waitlist Class of 2018 Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you interview? With whom? Still waiting?

Yes - Mark Hill - Still waiting
5%
Yes - Mark Hill - In
No votes
Yes - Ebony Bryant - Still waiting
5%
Yes - Ebony Bryant - In
No votes
Yes - Bill Hoye - Still waiting
10%
Yes - Bill Hoye - In
5%
No.
71%
Have received notification of rejection/denial
5%

Total votes: 21

KMart

Gold

Re: Duke Law Waitlist Class of 2018 Thread

Post by KMart » Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Checking in - non PR.

cafehafa

New

Post by cafehafa » Thu May 07, 2015 11:42 am

Long time (occasional?) lurker here. I'm a sucker for anxiety.

Background: I'm on the WL (not PR) at Duke. I sent in a LOCI and LOR at the tail-end of March, then spoke briefly with a member of the admissions committee + sent in a 'Why Duke' essay right after the wait list confirmation email was sent out at the end of April.

Question: I just found out I'll be in the Raleigh-Durham area in a few weeks and would like to visit campus and/or meet with an officer at Duke. Am I coming off as annoying/too pushy if I reach out this late for a visit, especially considering I'm not PR?

Thoughts/advice?

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 am

cafehafa wrote:Long time (occasional?) lurker here. I'm a sucker for anxiety.

Background: I'm on the WL (not PR) at Duke. I sent in a LOCI and LOR at the tail-end of March, then spoke briefly with a member of the admissions committee + sent in a 'Why Duke' essay right after the wait list confirmation email was sent out at the end of April.

Question: I just found out I'll be in the Raleigh-Durham area in a few weeks and would like to visit campus and/or meet with an officer at Duke. Am I coming off as annoying/too pushy if I reach out this late for a visit, especially considering I'm not PR?

Thoughts/advice?
Not at all. Definitely give it a shot!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:48 am

Yeah, they were willing to meet with applicants in the fall for non-evaluative meetings, so I think they might at least be open to that, if not an out and out interview. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask. If you're worried about feeling pushy, just indicate that you'd like to set up a visit. They'll surely be very open to that, and they might suggest a meeting with an adcomm. If not, when you visit you'll probably visit the admissions office, and you could at least get some informal face time.

cafehafa

New

Post by cafehafa » Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote: Not at all. Definitely give it a shot!
usn26 wrote:Yeah, they were willing to meet with applicants in the fall for non-evaluative meetings, so I think they might at least be open to that, if not an out and out interview. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask. If you're worried about feeling pushy, just indicate that you'd like to set up a visit. They'll surely be very open to that, and they might suggest a meeting with an adcomm. If not, when you visit you'll probably visit the admissions office, and you could at least get some informal face time.
Thanks for the advice (and the quick replies). I'm considerably more confident now. Will definitely give it a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

williamsun

New

Post by williamsun » Fri May 08, 2015 3:45 am

checking in!
Wl'ed on Apr. 28. Haven't sent any loci yet.
Would like to know how to get in ;D

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 08, 2015 8:52 am

williamsun wrote:checking in!
Step one: get on top of that LOCI.

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Fri May 08, 2015 3:47 pm

checking in!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:13 pm

The whole mailing in a shoe thing is so overplayed. Sever off your foot and send them that. That'll do the trick.

Seriously, though: LOCI. Visit if you can. Make it clear that they're your #1, if they are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mgschiet

New

Post by mgschiet » Fri May 08, 2015 7:28 pm

usn26 wrote:
The whole mailing in a shoe thing is so overplayed. Sever off your foot and send them that. That'll do the trick.
TITCR

williamsun

New

Post by williamsun » Sun May 10, 2015 3:32 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Step one: get on top of that LOCI.
Thx! Actually I've already sent one for now, and I'm wondering what I can add on my LOCI season 2..

williamsun

New

Post by williamsun » Sun May 10, 2015 3:34 am

usn26 wrote:

Seriously, though: LOCI. Visit if you can. Make it clear that they're your #1, if they are.
lol I believe people are doing it these days. Thank you for your advice and I'm gradually having some idea on how to make my LOCI season 2 look fleshier..

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:25 am

May 15th can't get here soon enough. Hopefully that opens up a few more slots.

ETA: Anyone want to speculate wildly on what impact the USNews rise to T10 and basketball championship might have on yield? Seeing as those are utterly irrational reasons to choose a law school, I'm assuming the bump is smaller than it would be for undergrad, but not insignificant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue May 12, 2015 5:12 pm

usn26 wrote:May 15th can't get here soon enough. Hopefully that opens up a few more slots.

ETA: Anyone want to speculate wildly on what impact the USNews rise to T10 and basketball championship might have on yield? Seeing as those are utterly irrational reasons to choose a law school, I'm assuming the bump is smaller than it would be for undergrad, but not insignificant.

I think we would have seen those impacts already with the deposit deadline passing as it was weeks after those events. I am a waitlist warrior and can tell you of the multiple (more than 3) t14 WLs I am on that Duke's letter was far and away the most positive for Duke hopefuls. And I am regular WL not PR. Their letter gives me hope. The others give me pain. I also maintain that I will never become a Duke fan no matter what due to a competing lifelong allegiance to another one of the more storied programs of all time (not UNC) - do you hear that, Bortles?

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Tue May 12, 2015 5:15 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:
usn26 wrote:May 15th can't get here soon enough. Hopefully that opens up a few more slots.

I think we would have seen those impacts already with the deposit deadline passing as it was weeks after those events.I am awaitlist warrior and can tell you of the multiple (more than 3) t14 WLs I am on that Duke's letter was far and away the most positive for Duke hopefuls. And I am regular WL not PR. Their letter gives me hope. The others give me pain. I also maintain that I will never become aDuke fan no matter what due to a competing lifelong allegiance to another one of the more storied programs of all time (not UNC) -do you hear that, Bortles?
Loud and clear! You're among friends here, WCHB.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:07 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:I think we would have seen those impacts already with the deposit deadline passing as it was weeks after those events. I am a waitlist warrior and can tell you of the multiple (more than 3) t14 WLs I am on that Duke's letter was far and away the most positive for Duke hopefuls. And I am regular WL not PR. Their letter gives me hope. The others give me pain. I also maintain that I will never become a Duke fan no matter what due to a competing lifelong allegiance to another one of the more storied programs of all time (not UNC) - do you hear that, Bortles?
That's weird because I'm on basically every T14 wait list and am confident in almost all of them except for Duke. Which is frustrating because Duke is the only one that I'm really invested in.

Could you post or PM the email? I'd love to see the source of this confidence.

BangShootBang

New

Post by BangShootBang » Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I am on the regular wait list and have set up a trip to visit some schools and since Duke isn't that far I am visiting. Today I called and spoke to someone at admissions and now have a meeting set up with Mark Hill for next Thursday....anyone have any advice for this meeting? I am really nervous

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mgschiet

New

Post by mgschiet » Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 am

BangShootBang wrote:I am on the regular wait list and have set up a trip to visit some schools and since Duke isn't that far I am visiting. Today I called and spoke to someone at admissions and now have a meeting set up with Mark Hill for next Thursday....anyone have any advice for this meeting? I am really nervous
The best piece of advice that I can give you is to be prepared. Be clear on your reasons for wanting to go to law school and your reasons for wanting to go to Duke specifically. Show them that you can advocate for yourself, and show them you have enthusiasm for Duke. Another poster several months ago told a few of us to be prepared to discuss the weaknesses in your application, and I think that made a world of difference for me when I visited the school in March.

Relax! Prepare yourself and be confident in what you have to offer, and you'll be fine.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 15, 2015 9:29 am

mgschiet wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:I am on the regular wait list and have set up a trip to visit some schools and since Duke isn't that far I am visiting. Today I called and spoke to someone at admissions and now have a meeting set up with Mark Hill for next Thursday....anyone have any advice for this meeting? I am really nervous
The best piece of advice that I can give you is to be prepared. Be clear on your reasons for wanting to go to law school and your reasons for wanting to go to Duke specifically. Show them that you can advocate for yourself, and show them you have enthusiasm for Duke. Another poster several months ago told a few of us to be prepared to discuss the weaknesses in your application, and I think that made a world of difference for me when I visited the school in March.

Relax! Prepare yourself and be confident in what you have to offer, and you'll be fine.
This. Good luck!

BangShootBang

New

Post by BangShootBang » Fri May 15, 2015 9:47 am

mgschiet wrote:

thank you so much!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 am

Here's hoping for some weekend PR/WL movement. Mid-May is here at last.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Wed May 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Crickets...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:05 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Crickets...
Need those CCN's to start stealing away non-true-Duke-believers. :lol:

Fighttotheend

Bronze

Post by Fighttotheend » Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Got in through email. There is hope. Regular waitlist

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Fighttotheend wrote:Got in through email. There is hope. Regular waitlist
Congrats! Might be the end of my hope, though. :?

ETA: I'm gonna chill haha. Glad that others are getting awesome news.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”