Running out of time.... Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BNA

Bronze

Running out of time....

Post by BNA » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Super splitter, <25% gpa, >75% lsat, Complete in mid September, but still nothing. I've got a huge decision to make regarding taking a job and moving across the country, but if the school I want admits me, that is what I want to do. I'm pretty disappointed they've had me waiting for over four months, so what are my options? Do I call and tell them my situation, likely coming across as manipulating a response from them? As much as this looks like an inevitable rejection, is it even worth it?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Running out of time....

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Dude, there are people who get admitted during the first week of classes. January is actually early in the process. Either you can commit to moving at the last minute, or you can't.

ku546

Bronze

Post by ku546 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Looks like you're on the fence about taking this job anywho as you're considering ditching the job for law school. I'd just take the job, not tell them about law school, wait it out to see the decision. If you get into law school, then great, leave the job and go to school with some extra money in your pocket. First day of class is like 8 months away - keep the job until then.

I've seen people come and go at high paying Wall St firms all the time after like 5 months. They won't be too happy about it, but whatever, you're not coming back anyway and there's nothing anyone can do to you. Good luck.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 pm

That was my initial reaction, but moving 700 miles just to turn around and move 700 miles back is something I'm not really keen on. Also, I'd be working for a former employer, who I respect and would not want to bail on. He would be put in a very bad position if I were to do that.

I guess I'm relieved to see that it's still relatively early, but going on 5 months later.... Is that common, or are the other, "better" schools I got into just that expeditious?

Mixednuts

New

Post by Mixednuts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Take the job, see where you get accepted, then either quit if you feel it is appropriate or defer law school for 1 year and start in the fall of 2016.

hikensurf

New

Post by hikensurf » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 pm

BNA wrote:That was my initial reaction, but moving 700 miles just to turn around and move 700 miles back is something I'm not really keen on. Also, I'd be working for a former employer, who I respect and would not want to bail on. He would be put in a very bad position if I were to do that.

I guess I'm relieved to see that it's still relatively early, but going on 5 months later.... Is that common, or are the other, "better" schools I got into just that expeditious?
Short answer: Yes, very common. When a school accepts you has nothing to do with their prestige. I was accepted first by the highest ranked school I got into, and the last 3 acceptances were the next 3 highest with the lower in between. There's no correlation.

You need to relax. January is early. Either commit to law school or don't.

EDIT: I like the above poster's suggestion of deferral. Is that a possibility?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”