How does the waitlist work? And what to do when waitlisted. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iChaseH16

New

How does the waitlist work? And what to do when waitlisted.

Post by iChaseH16 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:12 pm

So I've been waitlisted at Temple. This has been my first choice from the beginning and I really do want to go here. My LSAT is a 155 and my GPA is a 3.6, so my LSAT is below their median. However, I'm really confused on how this whole waitlist works. I have filled out their waitlist confirmation form and am in the process of writing a statement expressing my commitment to Temple for the committee. However, how long will I have to wait until they actually make a decision? The other schools I've been accepted to want me to submit the deposits in April. Do those deposits then bind me to be committed to those schools? What if I make a deposit at one school then in June or July Temple says they want me? Is it impossible for me to go to Temple then or do I simply lose my deposit at the other schools. Any advice or anything anyone can offer in aiding me with all of this would be great. I'm really stressed about this especially because I submitted my applications back in October so I could get decisions early, but now it seems I may need to wait a very long time. Also, any advice for getting off the waitlist sooner or convincing the committee would be helpful.

VeteranAdvocate

New

Re: How does the waitlist work? And what to do when waitlisted.

Post by VeteranAdvocate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:43 am

You need to write a Letter of Continued Interest. Look on the forum for format suggestions. You won't be bound if you pay deposits to other schools, but you will most likely lose the deposit if Temple takes you off the wait list and you accept their offer. You need to follow the guidelines Temple gave you. If Temple said not to call or email them, then don't. Best of luck.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:51 am

Not really on topic but I think you need to hear it. If you get in, it will be at sticker. If you retake and get 160+ you can probably attend temple with a substantial scholarship. Don't go to Temple if you're going to end up with a huge amount of debt.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

mvp99 wrote:Not really on topic but I think you need to hear it. If you get in, it will be at sticker. If you retake and get 160+ you can probably attend temple with a substantial scholarship. Don't go to Temple if you're going to end up with a huge amount of debt.
+1 sticker price for most schools is a bad idea. If you have a 155, you should be able to break into the 160+ range if you struggle with LG and just practice, then you can get a full ride to Temple.

Otherwise, best thing to do is write a LOCI, and tell them why you want Temple and let them know why it is your first choice and your dream school. It's not advisable to go if you don't have a scholarship though

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 pm

you should not go to LS with a <16x. Period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VeteranAdvocate

New

Post by VeteranAdvocate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Big Dog if you don't have anything productive to say then go mind your own business. He could have the best work ethic in the world and simply had an off day.

Yogi2012

New

Post by Yogi2012 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm

deleted
Last edited by Yogi2012 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeM-law

Bronze

Post by MikeM-law » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Big Dog wrote:you should not go to LS with a <16x. Period.
That's not helpful. OP said he just got waitlisted at his first choice. Telling him to not go to LS doesn't help. There are many successful attorneys who scored below 160 just as there are many struggling attorneys who scored well above 160. First year grades are far more important.

dr1366

New

Post by dr1366 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:40 pm

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 pm

The waiting period depends upon Temple's yield of accepted students during the current admissions cycle. Focus on writing a brief, persuasive letter of continued interest. Consider retaking the LSAT in order to create more & better options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”