University of San Diego c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-15 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hermione92

New

Re: University of San Diego c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-15 cycle)

Post by hermione92 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:23 pm

misskatejd wrote:I went to the admit day this past Friday. I enjoyed it. They began with a simulated class, which was relatively short and the professor went easy, no one was called out. Then we took a tour of the law school, the exterior is obviously really pretty, however the interior was a little dated (who cares). After the tour there was a Q & A panel with current students, a 1L, 2L and a 3L. Not sure why they choose these students, as they didn't seem to be able to intelligently or confidently answers peoples questions but oh well, they are probably just volunteers. There was also a lunch later in the day, where we were assigned seating, as to be sitting with at least one or two faculty members or alumni. It was nice to mingle with everyone. (the food was also delicious) Everyone, including the dean, seemed very approachable, outgoing, and overall warm. After lunch the had a presentation on financial aid and scholarships. I already have a nice scholarship, but they spoke about making it possible for people to earn one, or earn more, dependent on their 1L performance. Also, they said after seat deposits are in and they see how much money they actually have to give out, they go back and try to give people who didn't have a scholarship a little money. I was pretty much already set on the school because of my scholarship, but being able to see everything in person really helped solidify my choice. It is much more assuring to have been in person and get a feel of the campus. Coming from the hot central valley, the weather was also a plus!
Thanks so much!! I am planning on attending the ASD on the 20th which is obviously after seat deposits are due. It is probably my top choice right now because of the scholarship/ location (can't lie-- it looks beautiful!). Right now I guess the choice is between USD and Arizona State but the scholarship difference is making me lean towards USD.

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:54 pm

hermione92 wrote:
misskatejd wrote:I went to the admit day this past Friday. I enjoyed it. They began with a simulated class, which was relatively short and the professor went easy, no one was called out. Then we took a tour of the law school, the exterior is obviously really pretty, however the interior was a little dated (who cares). After the tour there was a Q & A panel with current students, a 1L, 2L and a 3L. Not sure why they choose these students, as they didn't seem to be able to intelligently or confidently answers peoples questions but oh well, they are probably just volunteers. There was also a lunch later in the day, where we were assigned seating, as to be sitting with at least one or two faculty members or alumni. It was nice to mingle with everyone. (the food was also delicious) Everyone, including the dean, seemed very approachable, outgoing, and overall warm. After lunch the had a presentation on financial aid and scholarships. I already have a nice scholarship, but they spoke about making it possible for people to earn one, or earn more, dependent on their 1L performance. Also, they said after seat deposits are in and they see how much money they actually have to give out, they go back and try to give people who didn't have a scholarship a little money. I was pretty much already set on the school because of my scholarship, but being able to see everything in person really helped solidify my choice. It is much more assuring to have been in person and get a feel of the campus. Coming from the hot central valley, the weather was also a plus!
Thanks so much!! I am planning on attending the ASD on the 20th which is obviously after seat deposits are due. It is probably my top choice right now because of the scholarship/ location (can't lie-- it looks beautiful!). Right now I guess the choice is between USD and Arizona State but the scholarship difference is making me lean towards USD.
I went on the 20th and loved it. I had to skip out on the lunch to catch a flight to check out Temple, but the rest of the event went really well. Jorge Garcia, their assistant dean, was extremely helpful and very approachable. This campus was by far the best looking compared to other schools I've visited. They also put together the best admitted students day out of the 3 I've gone to so far. They seem to have a strong alumni network and have networking events often. Right now I'm debating between here and Denver University, and USD is making it quite difficult.

And for anyone with the Dean's Honor Scholarship I was told they'll be sending out a letter pretty soon saying their alumni are going to donate new macbook pros or $1500 for a laptop if you want something else! :D

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:16 pm

pancakes wrote:
hermione92 wrote:

And for anyone with the Dean's Honor Scholarship I was told they'll be sending out a letter pretty soon saying their alumni are going to donate new macbook pros or $1500 for a laptop if you want something else! :D

aww man, almost there for me. My heart jumped and I had to double check what is was called, and I got the Dean's 'Outstanding' Scholarship, so close! I really wanted a mac book pro, oh well lol

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:03 pm

aww man, almost there for me. My heart jumped and I had to double check what is was called, and I got the Dean's 'Outstanding' Scholarship, so close! I really wanted a mac book pro, oh well lol[/quote]

They seemed willing to negotiate scholarships, I would send them an email!

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:38 pm

pancakes wrote:aww man, almost there for me. My heart jumped and I had to double check what is was called, and I got the Dean's 'Outstanding' Scholarship, so close! I really wanted a mac book pro, oh well lol
They seemed willing to negotiate scholarships, I would send them an email![/quote]

I did and was basically told they could not increase because if they did, they would have to increase everyone else who has the same stats to be fair, don't really believe them but yeah, i tried. Also, what they consider their "peer schools" gave me much less, so as far as negotiation goes, I didn't have much to back me up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

pancakes wrote:
hermione92 wrote:
I went on the 20th and loved it. I had to skip out on the lunch to catch a flight to check out Temple, but the rest of the event went really well. Jorge Garcia, their assistant dean, was extremely helpful and very approachable. This campus was by far the best looking compared to other schools I've visited. They also put together the best admitted students day out of the 3 I've gone to so far. They seem to have a strong alumni network and have networking events often. Right now I'm debating between here and Denver University, and USD is making it quite difficult.

Ah that's awesome! That's the scholarship I got, and I actually really need a new computer.... My poor Toshiba is barely hanging on. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they do full rides? Or is the 43k/year their max? Their email made it sound like it was. I am visiting ASU and USD the upcoming weeks although I'll have to put down a deposit on USD before I get the chance to see it. Either way, I'm excited to get to Cali!

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:18 pm

hermione92 wrote:
pancakes wrote:
hermione92 wrote:

Ah that's awesome! That's the scholarship I got, and I actually really need a new computer.... My poor Toshiba is barely hanging on. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they do full rides? Or is the 43k/year their max? Their email made it sound like it was. I am visiting ASU and USD the upcoming weeks although I'll have to put down a deposit on USD before I get the chance to see it. Either way, I'm excited to get to Cali!
They don't give out full rides, the 43k is the max. Unless you're that only really lucky person who got more than full tuition. If you check the ABA site out you can get all the class data like how many people got scholarships, how much and bar passage rates for the past 3 years I think. The link is below. They're called Standard 509 Reports and you can get employment reports too.

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

** Does anyone know if a school will revoke your scholarship if you put multiple deposits down? I got a letter from one warning me they could.

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:48 pm

That's a really good question, I'm worried about that too. Would it come off as rude if I just called each school and asked? I might do that tomorrow just so I can get a quick reply.

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:11 am

hermione92 wrote:That's a really good question, I'm worried about that too. Would it come off as rude if I just called each school and asked? I might do that tomorrow just so I can get a quick reply.
Let us know what you find out

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 am

hermione92 wrote:That's a really good question, I'm worried about that too. Would it come off as rude if I just called each school and asked? I might do that tomorrow just so I can get a quick reply.
That's what I can't decide either... but hey we are accepted so a question can't hurt us now.

gobears2012

New

Post by gobears2012 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 am

Toured USD the other day...was thoroughly unimpressed. I thought I was going to deposit, but it's likely a withdraw for me. PM me for details.

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:33 pm

pancakes wrote:
That's what I can't decide either... but hey we are accepted so a question can't hurt us now.
I called this morning. The girl at the admissions office double-checked with someone and then said that it's fine to deposit at other schools and that they won't revoke the scholarship because they're "not that cutthroat" haha. So that's good to know! My other school has to call me back and say whether it's okay to do the same for theirs too.

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm

hermione92 wrote:
pancakes wrote:
I called this morning. The girl at the admissions office double-checked with someone and then said that it's fine to deposit at other schools and that they won't revoke the scholarship because they're "not that cutthroat" haha. So that's good to know! My other school has to call me back and say whether it's okay to do the same for theirs too.
Thanks for calling and giving us an update!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 am

Has anyone decided to attend USD?

harrissq

New

Post by harrissq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:39 am

mak04 wrote:Has anyone decided to attend USD?
I put the 1st deposit in yesterday.

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 am

harrissq wrote:

What made you decide to put a deposit down?

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:27 pm

harrissq wrote:

I will today, when I find my check book lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:37 pm

mak04 wrote:
harrissq wrote:

I second this! How did you decide USD was the right school? Honestly just curious! I am having a very hard time deciding , even though I will probably put down a deposit to save my spot too since I am torn between schools.

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:00 pm

hermione92 wrote:
mak04 wrote:
harrissq wrote:

I second this! How did you decide USD was the right school? Honestly just curious! I am having a very hard time deciding , even though I will probably put down a deposit to save my spot too since I am torn between schools.

What schools are you deciding between?

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Right now Arizona State and USD! I am visiting ASU this week and USD in a couple weeks so hopefully that will help, but it's still a tough choice. I feel like the environments will be very different so I don't know. I am also from the Midwest so it will be a big change either way!

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:47 pm

hermione92 wrote:Right now Arizona State and USD! I am visiting ASU this week and USD in a couple weeks so hopefully that will help, but it's still a tough choice. I feel like the environments will be very different so I don't know. I am also from the Midwest so it will be a big change either way!
I'm also considering ASU! Are you a Deans honor scholar at USD?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hermione92

New

Post by hermione92 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:02 pm

mak04 wrote:
hermione92 wrote:Right now Arizona State and USD! I am visiting ASU this week and USD in a couple weeks so hopefully that will help, but it's still a tough choice. I feel like the environments will be very different so I don't know. I am also from the Midwest so it will be a big change either way!
Yes I am! ASU isn't giving me as much but I still think I would love it! Have you visited?

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:21 am

hermione92 wrote:
mak04 wrote:
Yes I am! ASU isn't giving me as much but I still think I would love it! Have you visited?
I actually did my undergrad at their Journalism School, which is right next door where the new law school is going!

bryceejohnson60542

New

Post by bryceejohnson60542 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:03 am

I was faced with a similar decision and chose ASU last week. I am coming from the Midwest too(Illinois) so it will be a big change! I think I am going to love ASU though.

KGLaw18

New

Post by KGLaw18 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:58 am

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:

I was faced with a similar decision and chose ASU last week. I am coming from the Midwest too(Illinois) so it will be a big change! I think I am going to love ASU though.
Yikes...this has somehow become the ASU thread. ;)

I wonder if this usually happens for USD or if this is just a weird year? Sounds like they're losing a lot of people to ASU, though!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”