UC Irvine c/o 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How set are you on attending UCI?

100%! Deposited.
23%
Almost there, a little $$ will get me to deposit.
16%
On the fence pending visit, scholarship, other school decisions, etc
35%
Withdrew
16%
I applied for scholly money for negotiating against other peers.
10%

Total votes: 31

rion91

Silver

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Anyone else flying into LAX? I'm going to take the FlyAway shuttle to Union Station and Amtrak it over to Irvine, then get a lyft/uber to my hotel.

CAteacherguy

New

Post by CAteacherguy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm

rion91 wrote:Anyone else flying into LAX? I'm going to take the FlyAway shuttle to Union Station and Amtrak it over to Irvine, then get a lyft/uber to my hotel.
There's also a $20 shuttle that goes between LAX and campus, which might be easier (and possibly around the same price).

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:22 pm

CAteacherguy wrote:
rion91 wrote:Anyone else flying into LAX? I'm going to take the FlyAway shuttle to Union Station and Amtrak it over to Irvine, then get a lyft/uber to my hotel.
There's also a $20 shuttle that goes between LAX and campus, which might be easier (and possibly around the same price).
Dang! I wish I would have known... but I already got my Amtrak ticket x( But I did plan on having a bite to eat downtown before heading to OC so we'll see!! I might ride it back on the return trip though!

caliplaw

New

Post by caliplaw » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 pm

This is super last minute, but I live here (by the hotels) and just found out I'll be able to attend both days of ASW, so if anyone wants a ride tomorrow, message me!

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:32 am

ASW was awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Has anyone been successful in getting a scholarship increase? UCI is my top choice but offering me the least amount of money. I sent in a scholarship negotiation email over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard. Anyone else have luck???

horseshoe1

New

Post by horseshoe1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Has anyone been successful in getting a scholarship increase? UCI is my top choice but offering me the least amount of money. I sent in a scholarship negotiation email over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard. Anyone else have luck???
I just sent in a scholarship negotiation recently. Disappointing to hear how long they have taken to reply, especially with deposit dates looming! I'll update if I hear anything.

parisian

New

Post by parisian » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 pm

For those who came to ASW, how did you find it? Did you happen to hear anything with regard to last year's clerkship rates? Thanks :)

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Has anyone been successful in getting a scholarship increase? UCI is my top choice but offering me the least amount of money. I sent in a scholarship negotiation email over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard. Anyone else have luck???
I did, and I got a relatively prompt response, but unfortunately the increase they offered was minimal. From the limited amount of information I've gleaned, it seems like they're not prone to increases (which is extremely disappointing).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:11 pm

parisian wrote:For those who came to ASW, how did you find it? Did you happen to hear anything with regard to last year's clerkship rates? Thanks :)
I liked it a lot. They've done an amazing job of fostering a warm, supportive atmosphere and everybody I met, including Dean Chemerinsky, was very accessible. I was also struck by just how happy all of the current students and faculty seemed. Both the faculty and student body are very diverse, more so than any of the other schools I've visited. The campus itself is gorgeous, though the law school is off in it's own corner so I don't know how much you'd get to enjoy it. Facilities are split up between three buildings and a couple of floors shared with the education school which some people might not like, and somebody mentioned that undergrads also take classes in that area so if you're looking for that cloistered grad school atmosphere they don't really have it. Facilities are a little vanilla, but are modern and in good shape. I really liked the professors' offices area, which seems to invite a lot of hanging around and group interactivity. Their public interest slant was super obvious in everything they did, so if you're a conservative biglaw type I think you might not feel as represented there, but I don't think you'd necessarily feel out of place and definitely not judged. Their whole approach seems to be "What do you want to do, not matter what it is, and how can we get you there?" Depending on where you want to practice I might also worry a little about how portable their degree is, but that said one of the women on the employment panel summered in NYC and is going to clerk on the east coast, and they mentioned other alums working in NY and DC. They also have UCDC, which is an externship program in DC.

I don't remember specific numbers about last year's clerkship rates except but they have the 2014 employment stats on their site which indicates they placed 10 and I do remember they've placed 97 since they started, which is impressive.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Current student here.

Re: school's location. You can make it what you want it to be. We don't run or interact with undergrads a lot or at all, really. Most people go into main campus to hit Starbucks, the pub, or the food court. You can't avoid seeing undergrads when you go into main campus. I participate in some sports clubs and meet undergrads that way, but that's my choice.

Re: east coast. We have quite a good percentage of students in the east coast. What you have to keep in mind is that most students that come to UCI actually want to stay in SoCal. But I know people working in the east coast (and other parts of the country) not just with clerkships but also in attorney positions.

I hope that helps.

laub

New

Post by laub » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by laub on Fri May 27, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm

laub wrote:Has anyone been wildly successful in increasing scholarship funds? From what I've read on here, most people received no or very limited increase.
I've contacted them about it 3 times now and still have not received any response. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

laub

New

Post by laub » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Deleted.

idontknow1

New

Post by idontknow1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
laub wrote:Has anyone been wildly successful in increasing scholarship funds? From what I've read on here, most people received no or very limited increase.
I've contacted them about it 3 times now and still have not received any response. :(
At least you guys are in, still nothing from Irvine or Davis :( Taking their sweet time with these decisions.

It is kind of ridiculous that after 3 times you haven't received a response.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 pm

laub wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
That is highly discouraging...their loss of students who are getting more substantial offers from comparable schools. I guess I won't hold my breath for a response! Did you email Dean Austin or just the financial aid office's general email?
Not even just comparable schools; they seem more than willing to lose people to higher ranked schools over relatively small amounts of money, which is strange. Their strategy this cycle is definitely difficult to parse. If LSN is any indication, it looks like they made some big money offers up front to people who applied before the end of last year. Maybe a lot of early applicants already accepted and they're just out of money? Or maybe they had enough acceptances early in the cycle to know they're getting the medians they want (which wouldn't be hard because of the small class size) and they don't have any incentive to give increases? Anyway, disappointing. They did a great job of selling themselves at ASW and academically and philosophically they're a perfect fit for me, but I'm having a hard time coming up with enough really concrete advantages to justify (especially to my wife) why that's worth an extra $40,000+ of loan debt.

EDIT TO ADD: Ha! Just realized I'm looking at this like a law school application: They have killer softs, but I'm not sure if that's good enough to overcome their numbers.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Who did you contact? I emailed Dean Austin and haven't gotten a response in a day re scholarship negotiations. Makes me worried compared to how quickly Ponciano responds...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 pm

rion91 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Who did you contact? I emailed Dean Austin and haven't gotten a response in a day re scholarship negotiations. Makes me worried compared to how quickly Ponciano responds...
I just sent it to general admissions the first 2 times...I was hoping they could forward it to the correct person but I guess not. I sent it to Nasreen Zia the financial officer today so I hope she responds

laub

New

Post by laub » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Deleted.

1scout23

New

Post by 1scout23 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:19 am

Historically, do more acceptances come out after the April 30 SIR deadline? I'm wondering how many apps are currently on "hold" pending the yield number.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:37 am

Drowninmyowntears wrote:I just sent it to general admissions the first 2 times...I was hoping they could forward it to the correct person but I guess not. I sent it to Nasreen Zia the financial officer today so I hope she responds
Yeah sometimes you can only do so much! I'm still early into it, so for me to expect any final response within a day is too much to ask for sure. I would try calling and see if there is anything else they might need in a few days. I for sure will be giving them some time. I had an awesome time at ASW, and I'm sure they're working really hard to to get a nice picture of the pile of SIRers for the next class :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1scout23

New

Post by 1scout23 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Anyone who went to ASW, was the projected yield size ever mentioned?

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

1scout23 wrote:Anyone who went to ASW, was the projected yield size ever mentioned?
Darn, it was mentioned but I can't remember what it was. I want to say it was going to be over 100 though.

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:38 pm

spencercross wrote:
1scout23 wrote:Anyone who went to ASW, was the projected yield size ever mentioned?
Darn, it was mentioned but I can't remember what it was. I want to say it was going to be over 100 though.
Yeah, Dean Chem mentioned that he had clearance from the chancellor to increase the size up to 150 or something but that they're only supposed to do so if the "quality'" of incoming students can be maintained. That's all I remember. I'd bet there are 110ish this year

1scout23

New

Post by 1scout23 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:48 pm

spencercross wrote:
Good to know, thanks. With the April 30 deadline, I guess there will be a bit of a waiting period since most other schools have deadlines from April 15th until then.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”