SMU Dedman Law c/o 18 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BVest

Platinum

Re: SMU Dedman Law c/o 18 Applicants

Post by BVest » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Interesting. It seems even when they cave and negotiate, they still don't negotiate.

It does seem like, on average, they make very competitive first offers. But I can also see where (such as in the case of increased LSAT), they might want to budge. I guess the decision not to budge and maybe lose a person or two is worth it to them to not have to deal with negotiations all the time.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

its stupid though. Like, its clear they didn't raise anyones... Why would you tell us 12 hours before the deposit day? Couldn't you just have told us a week ago or months ago that you don't negotiate instead of spelling out this bs stuff that you are starting this year? Now people have to shell out a deposit and have only 12 hours to make that decision.

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 pm

It's true to their form though. We all knew that they wouldn't actually negotiate.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 pm

bound wrote:It's true to their form though. We all knew that they wouldn't actually negotiate.
is that where you've decided? I actually am gonna pm you about something

parisian

New

Post by parisian » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:50 am

They gave me a slight bump actually, but I might be withdrawing still...UH is cheaper for me currently and I am not sure why SMU would be better given the price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cutieluby

New

Post by cutieluby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Did anyone that put a deposit down get a confirmation or just a receipt? My dad freaked me out that I withdrew everywhere and wasnt 100% positive the school got my deposit haha.

laura1323

New

Post by laura1323 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm

cutieluby wrote:Did anyone that put a deposit down get a confirmation or just a receipt? My dad freaked me out that I withdrew everywhere and wasnt 100% positive the school got my deposit haha.
I received a confirmation email

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm

I was completely robbed today. This whole process has been a headache. My initial offer was terrible, and after the better part of a month, my reconsideration was stomped out in the eleventh hour. They don't want me I guess. PM for stats and details. Highway robbery, I tell you!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Still disappointed about the reconsideration thing, but sent in a deposit and plan to attend.

Looking at about 12k a year in debt based on scholly and savings in my education fund and the COA from the website, which obviously will change annually. Bleh. Really wanted to get it under 10 a year, but whatev that's pretty good shape I guess for SMU

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:48 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Still disappointed about the reconsideration thing, but sent in a deposit and plan to attend.

Looking at about 12k a year in debt based on scholly and savings in my education fund and the COA from the website, which obviously will change annually. Bleh. Really wanted to get it under 10 a year, but whatev that's pretty good shape I guess for SMU
Congrats! That's a manageable debtload. I cannot attend SMU at 100k tuition over 3 years when I have UT competitive numbers. Here's to hoping that Austin gives me some good news. I need it!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks! I should add that is if I decide to live at home (bit of a drive). I'm still saving up right now and am working full time this summer to try to pay for housing, which might result in a little bit more. Hoping to keep original debt under 50 though, cuz interest is gonna do its thing

Mustafa5

New

Post by Mustafa5 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 pm

cutieluby wrote:Did anyone that put a deposit down get a confirmation or just a receipt? My dad freaked me out that I withdrew everywhere and wasnt 100% positive the school got my deposit haha.
I've only gotten a receipt. No actual email from the law school

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Only receipt here as well. What point are you guys going to move down/check out the housing options?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Only receipt here as well. What point are you guys going to move down/check out the housing options?
I'll likely try and move down around the first of August. I've heard from current students that most places don't need you to sign a lease very early, and I was told if I went apartment hunting in July I should be just fine. It seems to me like this would be cutting it close, but I'm coming from a college town where if you need a lease starting in August, it needs to be signed in February or March. Obviously, Dallas doesn't operate on the August to May college schedule so that's not an issue.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

p1921 wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Only receipt here as well. What point are you guys going to move down/check out the housing options?
I'll likely try and move down around the first of August. I've heard from current students that most places don't need you to sign a lease very early, and I was told if I went apartment hunting in July I should be just fine. It seems to me like this would be cutting it close, but I'm coming from a college town where if you need a lease starting in August, it needs to be signed in February or March. Obviously, Dallas doesn't operate on the August to May college schedule so that's not an issue.
Do you have an estimate of how much you're looking to pay per month?

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:23 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
p1921 wrote:
I'd like to stay around $800-850 if I can, but I'm not sure how reasonable that is. Most places I've looked at are more of the $900 and up range. I still haven't decided if I'd rather pay a little less and commute a little ways or bite the bullet and pay a little more to be close.

[edited for clarity]

ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw

New

Post by ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm

p1921 wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
p1921 wrote:
I'd like to stay around $800-850 if I can, but I'm not sure how reasonable that is. Most places I've looked at are more of the $900 and up range. I still haven't decided if I'd rather pay a little less and commute a little ways or bite the bullet and pay a little more to be close.

[edited for clarity]
I know you're probably not talking about distance in these orders of magnitudes since you're a local; but (for those out-of-towners) I teach test prep in North Dallas/SMU often, and 635-West is the bane of my existence. Always closed down to one lane at night for construction for almost a year now, which adds an hour onto my commute. Just don't do it. Or get a toll tag, and move where you want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cutieluby

New

Post by cutieluby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:59 pm

p1921 wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
p1921 wrote:

[edited for clarity]

Currently paying about $1000/month in Austin for a 4x4... hoping for less, but currently have no roommates so I havent even began the searching. Im sure its been mentioned on here, but I know people living at The Village I believe

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Because the deposit just passed, I'm probably gonna make a page for all those who are committed just so everyone can see whose defnitely going. So if you're gonna be a mustang next year, please check in

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: SMU Dedman Law Class of 2018

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Accountanon

New

Post by Accountanon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Baseball, post the link to the new page. I'm committed and ready to move to Dallas!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Accountanon wrote:Baseball, post the link to the new page. I'm committed and ready to move to Dallas!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=246040

This is the new page. Can't wait to meet you guys!

Pho king

New

Post by Pho king » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Was kinda hoping for a decision today...

AshleySchaefferBMW

New

Post by AshleySchaefferBMW » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:55 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Accountanon wrote:Baseball, post the link to the new page. I'm committed and ready to move to Dallas!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=246040

This is the new page. Can't wait to meet you guys!
Glad somebody made a class of '18 page! I'll be making my final decision after ASD but pending I dislike the campus/area (very highly doubt it) I'll be committing for sure!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Might want to request to move the class of '18 post to the TLS Class of '18 forum.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”