University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Texas Resident?

"Texas Forever"
26%
Yes
18%
No
56%

Total votes: 192

LeeAllen

Bronze

Re: University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants

Post by LeeAllen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Got scholarship into via email. I was pleasantly surprised. PM for more info

bizzy531

New

Post by bizzy531 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:29 pm

I just received scholarship information via email. Admitted 2/4. Definitely wasn't expecting anything at all, so this was definitely a nice surprise.

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:46 pm

bizzy531 wrote:I just received scholarship information via email. Admitted 2/4. Definitely wasn't expecting anything at all, so this was definitely a nice surprise.

same - anyone negotiated up yet?

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Did everyone get the Wagner & Routon emails?

Any thoughts on...
ASD begins Thursday, March 26th, with events starting at 8:00 a.m.: Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year, followed by Segway tours of Austin, law school and UT campus tours.
To me, seems like a nudge that it could be part of the scholly negotiation process.

(sry for the repost from the admit thread)

gilessanderson

Bronze

Post by gilessanderson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 pm

brightthru2014 wrote:What's the general consensus as to the significance of the Why Texas additional response? If I get the email, what does this say about my admission chances? How long generally before I get an answer?

It's been two weeks and radio silence thus far.
Been a week since i submitted mine and nothing yet, here's to next week hopefully.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:12 am

lawschool1741 wrote:Did everyone get the Wagner & Routon emails?

Any thoughts on...
ASD begins Thursday, March 26th, with events starting at 8:00 a.m.: Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year, followed by Segway tours of Austin, law school and UT campus tours.
To me, seems like a nudge that it could be part of the scholly negotiation process.

(sry for the repost from the admit thread)
Finaid doesn't really play a role in the scholarship process. If you want a solid number for how much your COA is, I'd go.

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:30 pm

I'm curious to hear what TLS has to say about this.

I was admitted in November with a 75th percentile LSAT score, a roughly median GPA and strong softs. I made the case for why I wanted to go to Texas in my personal statement. In December, I was offered $21,000 total, or $7,000 a year. My domicile is in Texas, and I'm not URM.

When the emails about ASD started going out early last month, I contacted the admissions office to inquire about the $200 travel stipend. I was told I was ineligible to receive one on account of my being from Texas. When I explained that I'm wrapping up my undergrad at Alabama and would be flying to Austin from Birmingham, I was told that it didn't matter because even if my residency was outside of Texas, I would be ineligible to receive a travel stipend due to an unspecified "objective factor."

I've been going through the application process with a friend of mine who is also from Texas, also attends an OOS university and is also non-URM. The two of us are very familiar with each other and our credentials, as we've been friends with each other for a long time. Our applications are almost dead even in terms of caliber; where one might have a slight advantage in one area, the other maintains a slight advantage in another area. We've been accepted to many of the same schools, and offered identical scholarships by most of those schools.

This past week, that person was offered a full ride to Texas, and given an unsolicited travel stipend. Naturally, I was very happy for that person, but I was also very surprised and couldn't help but feel a little gypped.

I've sent an email to the admissions email address, and I've specifically addressed it to Ms. Ingram (for the record, when I attempted to solicit the travel stipend, Ms. Ingram was not who I emailed back and forth with). I met Ms. Ingram at the Atlanta LSAC forum back in November and felt like we had a great conversation - she could not have been nicer or more helpful.

In the email, I specifically asked about the travel stipend first. I inquired as to whether there had been a change in the residency policy and if I would now qualify for a travel stipend. I also asked about scholarship negotiations; I know Texas has a matching policy, but when I spoke to Ms. Ingram in Atlanta, she told me to contact her at about this point in the cycle to discuss scholarships. Since receiving the scholarship from Texas, I've received several scholarship offers from several similarly ranked institutions that reduce their net tuition cost to a substantially lower figure than what it would cost me to go to Texas, and I did go ahead and mention that in the email.

I sent the email Friday night, so I doubt they've gotten a chance to see it yet and I obviously don't have a response. Still, I'm a little curious to hear TLS's opinion on how my friend and I could have gotten such disparate treatment. Was I too eager when I sent in my personal statement? Is it because I applied back in September and got in so early in the cycle? I applied for special named scholarships at several of the schools where my friend and I got the identical scholarships, whereas I didn't at Texas; is it possible my scholarship was higher at those schools because they had more information than what was just on my application for admission? Were they just trying to grab some cheap commits early? What do y'all think the answer is?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:50 pm

The other person has the exact same numbers as you?

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:The other person has the exact same numbers as you?
One is very close, the other is comparable. Check your PMs.
Last edited by PN-G bamakid on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm

So a 75th/50th got a fully? That's an incredible outcome for a non-urm.

UT has low balled some applicants but their initial offer seems absurdly low.

Would love to know what other factors are at play here...

ETA: guessing you went to Bama, what was the other UG?

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:So a 75th/50th got a fully? That's an incredible outcome for a non-urm.

I do go to 'Bama. Out of respect for my friend's privacy, I don't want to reveal that person's institution. But I will say that it's an institution of similar prestige.

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:36 pm

PN-G bamakid wrote:
lawschool1741 wrote:So a 75th/50th got a fully? That's an incredible outcome for a non-urm.

I do go to 'Bama. Out of respect for my friend's privacy, I don't want to reveal that person's institution. But I will say that it's an institution of similar prestige.
Interesting. You have had a fairly predictable cycle - a bit above historicals for $$ but that makes sense with the down cycle, but that UT offer sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe YP because you left the state for UG? But doesn't explain your friend. He/she must have a hell of an app to pull a fully with similar #s

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Got a call from Dean Ingram just now, who was again as helpful as could be. She gave me an explanation that made a lot of sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jess1234

New

Post by jess1234 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Guys, I got admitted last Wednesday, when do you think I'll receive a scholarship offer? Has anyone heard within one or two weeks?? Thanks

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 pm

[quote="jess1234"]Hi Guys, I got admitted last Wednesday, when do you think I'll receive a scholarship offer? Has anyone heard within one or two weeks?? Thanks[/quotes

I was accepted almost two weeks ago, and have yet to even receive an acceptance packet! Haha they're really backed up and admissions said about a month from acceptance to hear about money

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 pm

[quote="jess1234"]Hi Guys, I got admitted last Wednesday, when do you think I'll receive a scholarship offer? Has anyone heard within one or two weeks?? Thanks[/quotes]

And congrats!!!

jess1234

New

Post by jess1234 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Oh no, that's a little scary since some seat deposits are due in a month! Hoping it will come sooner :shock:

And thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Helloo all!
I received a matching scholarship offer today. If anyone wants deets they can PM me. I have heard that you are reclassified as in-state if you receive a scholarship offer with admission. Do anyone know if this is also the case with a matching offer?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:Helloo all!
I received a matching scholarship offer today. If anyone wants deets they can PM me. I have heard that you are reclassified as in-state if you receive a scholarship offer with admission. Do anyone know if this is also the case with a matching offer?
I think they can give a in-state tuition waiver to anyone with a merit scholarship of 1,000/yr or more. But they can only give so many in-state waivers. It is possible to get a large scholarship but no in-state waiver. So they can, but it sounds like they didn't give it to you. They would have mentioned it.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

keosu11

Bronze

Post by keosu11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm

How long after submitting the requested why Texas essay do decisions usually come? Trying to figure out when I should expect an answer

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm

keosu11 wrote:How long after submitting the requested why Texas essay do decisions usually come? Trying to figure out when I should expect an answer
It's varied quite a bit. I heard back two days later, many hear back within a week or so, and some waited a few weeks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keosu11

Bronze

Post by keosu11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:29 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
keosu11 wrote:How long after submitting the requested why Texas essay do decisions usually come? Trying to figure out when I should expect an answer
It's varied quite a bit. I heard back two days later, many hear back within a week or so, and some waited a few weeks.
Thanks! Is there a correlation between being asked to write the essay and acceptance?

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm

keosu11 wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
Thanks! Is there a correlation between being asked to write the essay and acceptance?
From what I've seen, the "why Texas?" Is pretty much required for acceptance as an OOS applicant, I've seen people get rejected after it, but being asked to write one is a good sign! Just show an interest in attending and you should be good! Good luck!

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:33 am

Does anyone know who we would contact regarding a travel stipend for ASD?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:22 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:Does anyone know who we would contact regarding a travel stipend for ASD?
I emailed admissions and they said if you haven't already been offered one you can't get one.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”