IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm

tmo wrote:Well we probably won't move it in the original move due to space constraints, but my Dad will most likely bring it up by mid-fall. I'm sure I'll have figured out if I can stand you and your crazy kids by then :wink:
Deal. Gonna put the boys in finishing school in hopes of scoring the grill.

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I will have to find housing to accomodate our grill. No place to store... too lazy to sell it... too useful to get rid of...

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

GOB wrote:
dangerzone10 wrote:Does anyone know how Davis grads fare in the LA job market?
I'm interested too. I get the impression that Loyola is better for practicing in LA, but that Davis presents more opportunites outside of SoCal, but I'd be curious to hear what someone says who knows what they're talking about.
My dad does low voltage work in West LA/ Century city and has been able to talk to a few lawyers at bigger law firms whose buildings and homes he works on. He knows that I want to go to Davis and uses his connections to give me a "real" idea of the job market in LA. The people that he talked to said that their firms "do not consider applicants out of Davis". This of course means those coming directly out of Davis as I'm sure someone with experience has a better shot. Those same firms said that they would hire out of Hastings though. The lawyers he talked to were all partners (as he only does the contracts with those in charge), and they all seemed to feel that Davis had more of an emphasis on public practice (whether or not this is true I don't really know, but that was their impression). So, from what I've heard elsewhere and through my dad, it seems that if you are set on working in LA in "Big Law" you might want to consider Hastings.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:33 pm

I would generally agree with that assessment. I'm from LA and dont know many Davis grads in LA BigLaw.

But from what I hear, top 20 percent dont have probs getting interviews through OCI at Davis and if you wanted to end up in LA, you could make a lateral move or transfer. Furthermore, I think its a matter of your expertise.

Personally, I'm happy to practice in NorCal - the nature of the work is what is more important to me. But I'm pretty confident I could make the move to LA if that was the priority - you'd just have to set yourself up right.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm

The Davis grads I know ended up in SF, Oakland, and the South Bay, so I'm not sure about the LA placement. That said, Bio and I sat with a 2L at lunch at the ASD that had his 2L summer set up in San Diego (where he was from) and said that he had also worked somewhere else down there his first summer. I asked if that was common and he said that most people aren't aiming for placement down there but that he didn't have a problem. FWIW. I know that's not LA, but it's So Cal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 pm

tmo wrote:Do you want to house a grill? It's a nice one!!

that's a bomb diggity grill.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:40 pm

oopivyoo wrote:
GOB wrote:
I'm interested too. I get the impression that Loyola is better for practicing in LA, but that Davis presents more opportunites outside of SoCal, but I'd be curious to hear what someone says who knows what they're talking about.
My dad does low voltage work in West LA/ Century city and has been able to talk to a few lawyers at bigger law firms whose buildings and homes he works on. He knows that I want to go to Davis and uses his connections to give me a "real" idea of the job market in LA. The people that he talked to said that their firms "do not consider applicants out of Davis". This of course means those coming directly out of Davis as I'm sure someone with experience has a better shot. Those same firms said that they would hire out of Hastings though. The lawyers he talked to were all partners (as he only does the contracts with those in charge), and they all seemed to feel that Davis had more of an emphasis on public practice (whether or not this is true I don't really know, but that was their impression). So, from what I've heard elsewhere and through my dad, it seems that if you are set on working in LA in "Big Law" you might want to consider Hastings.
Seriously, thank you for posting this. Making the big debate between Davis/Hastings and Loyola, and even though you didn't really mention Loyola, I feel better about leaning towards it. :D
You get the big gold star from me. Er, I wish there was a star smiley...

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm

oopivyoo wrote:
GOB wrote:
Thanks a lot. Now you have me thinking about Hastings again :? I ultimately want to up in LA. I have been leaning towards Davis because it seems that I would graduate with much less debt, though I still need to see my financial aid package from Hastings. I also don't like SF, so I would expect to be happier spending 3 years in Sacramento than in SF. I just need to determine if the job prospects from Hastings outweigh a better law school experience and less debt from Davis.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:16 pm

If you genuinely don't like SF, you really shouldn't go to Hastings. It's about as SF as you can get.

One thing to consider, though, is that if it really is hard to get a job in LA straight from Davis, then you might have to work in Sacto or SF for a few years once you get out before you can transfer down south. If SF is out post-graduation as well, then you might need to be okay with Sacramento for more like 6 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 pm

PugPug wrote:
oopivyoo wrote:
GOB wrote:
Seriously, thank you for posting this. Making the big debate between Davis/Hastings and Loyola, and even though you didn't really mention Loyola, I feel better about leaning towards it. :D
You get the big gold star from me. Er, I wish there was a star smiley...
Thanks, would like to work in LA eventually myself, but this really doesnt influence my decision to pick Hastings over Davis. If need be I don't mind working for a few years in S.F. to get my foot in the door at a nice firm in LA (which I'm sure would put me in a better position than most grads comming right out of Hastings). I wouldnt mind living in S.F. as a lawyer, but I would mind living there as a poor student. If you can afford S.F. you will be alright, but if your broke you live in a whole other world there. Additionally, i would easily get into over 100K dept (if not over 150K by my estimates) at Hastings. If I can come out of law school with under 100K dept (which seems pretty easy at Davis), I will be able to take the job I want rather than the one that makes me work 14-16 hours a day just to still be broke and pay off my debts. P.S. I didnt mention Loyola because the lawyers my dad talked said they only hired out of the top 50 LS (just out of those in CA Davis was the exception).

harlanandK

New

Post by harlanandK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm accepted but I'm so thick I can't figure out how to access my financial aid package online. Am I not supposed to be able to see it yet? Can anyone help guide me?

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:09 pm

You're not thick, it's just not online yet. Apparently we won't be able to access it until the 16th, although tmo had luck getting hers by e-mailing the financial aid department directly.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 pm

"Thanks, would like to work in LA eventually myself, but this really doesnt influence my decision to pick Hastings over Davis. If need be I don't mind working for a few years in S.F. to get my foot in the door at a nice firm in LA (which I'm sure would put me in a better position than most grads comming right out of Hastings). I wouldnt mind living in S.F. as a lawyer, but I would mind living there as a poor student. If you can afford S.F. you will be alright, but if your broke you live in a whole other world there. Additionally, i would easily get into over 100K dept (if not over 150K by my estimates) at Hastings. If I can come out of law school with under 100K dept (which seems pretty easy at Davis), I will be able to take the job I want rather than the one that makes me work 14-16 hours a day just to still be broke and pay off my debts. P.S. I didnt mention Loyola because the lawyers my dad talked said they only hired out of the top 50 LS (just out of those in CA Davis was the exception)."

joy. :roll:
Last edited by PugPug on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

harlanandK

New

Post by harlanandK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:15 pm

thank you! i thought I was going nuts.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 am

Dear UC Davis Law Admissions Committee:

On behalf of members of the King Hall Class of 2011 here on TLS, I'd like to request that you admit Azoraine. We will deliver baked goods, wines and cheeses to express our gratitude. I also believe Az's kids can you draw a mean doodle.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ginger & Co.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 am

Ginger123 wrote:Dear UC Davis Law Admissions Committee:

On behalf of members of the King Hall Class of 2011 here on TLS, I'd like to request that you admit Azoraine. We will deliver baked goods, wines and cheeses to express our gratitude. I also believe Az's kids can you draw a mean doodle.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ginger & Co.
That's so sweet, Ginger. I feel I will be letting everyone down when I get rejected, though.

We will have to watch that my kids do not do mean doodles on your nice furniture when we visit you on your farm in Winters.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Azo, I'm rooting for you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:22 pm

I started a Davis 2011 thread on the "Discuss Your Law School" forum. Not sure if we need it since we have this but... thought I'd try :)

I'm 28 and a half today. Yes, I know my half birthday. I think that entitles me to celebrate - if I start feeling overly self-indulgent I'll just tell myself I'm celebrating early for Ginger.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:25 pm

I have sort of a lame question. Where does our deposit go to? Is that just a separate fee? Or is that applied to tuition?

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 pm

it goes towards tuition

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Lame! Just kidding. I'm pretty sure it gets creited towards tuition.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:32 pm

This thread is really long, what have you guys been talking about so much? Anyway, if anyone has any questions about Davis as a town, housing, nightlife, etc., I'd be more than happy to answer :D

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Splitt3r wrote:This thread is really long, what have you guys been talking about so much? Anyway, if anyone has any questions about Davis as a town, housing, nightlife, etc., I'd be more than happy to answer :D
im coming from the other side of the country to go to school @ davis. ill be there for ASD, but i doub till really be able to check out housing the one real day im there though. in your opinion, whats the best way of going about it...? ideally i only want to split a 2br w/ 1 other person.

just hooking up w/ a random roomie on craigslist or similar online housing site?

when should i begin looking? ive been checking those sites recently, but it seems like its too soon. also, im looking to pay <=$500/month for rent. $400/month would be more ideal. is this realistic? i dont need anything fancy, just somewhere to study & rest my head

throw me some areas to live/apartment complex's to check out. i was actually kind of interested in the whole co-op living stuff, but i fear i wont have enough time to keep up w/ the duties/responsibilities involved w/ that

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:38 pm

Yes, I'm fairly lame :lol: Thanks guys.

Splitt3r, we talk about all the important stuff: grills, latest Peet's coffee offerings, toddler bullies... sometimes law school too! I take it you have lived there? What's tasty? What's fun? What is more the graduate scene vs. the undergrad scene?

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:54 pm

This is basically just a food thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”