IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by azoraraine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:22 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
You know, I was kind of excited when Davis dropped bc I thought it might up my chances of being accepted...But reading that letter from the dean...I feel like maybe it's going to be the opposite, like they are going to try to snatch up some good number folks at the last minute to help their rank next year. Boo.
I would guess that it will be a wash or slightly good for those still pending. The ranking drop is going to hammer their yield rate, and if anything will push some former maybes at the high end completely out of their reach. They probably will be scrambling to keep their numbers up some, but the fact that they'll have to make more offers overall may balance it out.

Well, then, I guess I'm okay. Unless they're lurking here and see that I am too dumb to figure this stuff out by myself. Congrats again, and thanks to both you and tmo for the reassurance.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 pm

If they were lurking here, they would have admitted you already, imo.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 pm

:oops:

If they have someone there with a soft spot for flaky hard luck cases, perhaps there's still a chance. Like I said, though, I will settle for having Ginger, tmo and possible you in town while commuting to McGeorge. I will take it on as my mission to personally raise their ranking by at least one notch. I think I'll probably have to become the Supreme Dictator of the USA to do that, but - hey - it could happen.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Official ding from UVA. Went to my effing parents house in LA!! They dont even speak English so it was particularly painful to have mom read it over the phone to me.

HOWEVER, this all means that I'M COMING TO DAVIS BABY!!!

Vitamin W is an essential nutrient.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:32 pm

Sorry about that Ginger... but YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're going to Davis!!!!! Vitamin W and AZ and pink appliances, here we come!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:36 pm

I was at TJs today and thought of you. Their pomegranate white tea makes gooood iced tea. I'm also elbow deep in their pomegranate greek yogurt.

Weeeeeeeee.....My famous sangria will be ready when we get to town!

When are you officially moving. I'll probably be going back and forth from LA to check out places.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Sangria sounds excellent.

Official move-in date will be August 10. Will be out of town from July 11-erm, August 10th. So if you're traveling back and forth before the July date, let me know- there is good food to be had in the Bay. otherwise, it's on around the 10th!

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:01 am

:( Can I join your guys' sangria party in Davis?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:07 am

Course you can.

I'm so excited about u-pick berry farms and csa's and the farmers market and getting a community garden plot and Az' produce and hopefully learning to ride a horse!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:34 am

Ginger123 wrote:Course you can.

I'm so excited about u-pick berry farms and csa's and the farmers market and getting a community garden plot and Az' produce and hopefully learning to ride a horse!
We had so much fun at the organic u-pick on the way to Woodland. They also have a subscription produce thing for people who do not want to garden. Nice folks. They gave me this tomato plant that had weird giant creamsicle-colored fruit. Eerie-looking, but tasty!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:35 am

Faye Valentine wrote::( Can I join your guys' sangria party in Davis?

Of course!!!!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 am

I really hope I can find a place where I can garden! I'm fantasizing about growing french breakfast radishes and wolfing them down with salty butter and fresh bread (from the village bakery i hear? altho im partial to acme).

Az, I LOVE growing tomatoes. Its something about the smell of tomato plants...its almost a floral smell. Lets try planting dinosaur kale - I read about a salad where you slice it uber thin and toss it with olive oil, pepper and scads of pecorino cheese. Doesnt that sound yummy?

Tmo where are you guys off to? I cant wait to go eat at Tartine. The Tartine cookbook is fantabulous and I wowed my overworked Congressional staff on a rainy day with croissants from the book.

Oh, and I think we should make black walnut ice cream - I hear they grow nearby and I looooove them. (I ate the whole carton of haagen daaz black walnut ice cream in like 2 days).

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:54 am

They grow on Covell Blvd. You can just pick them off the ground - many do! It's right near my house.

When I used to live in NC I would start my tomatoes really early under lights - sometimes I would sneak in and just run my hands over the seedlings to get that smell;-)

Did you notice that I forgot to say sorry about the UVA letter? I'M NOT SORRY ABOUT THE UVA LETTER. You belong here. I'm selfish - sue me :mrgreen: .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:56 am

If we plant dinosaur kale my sons will be expecting dinosaurs to be coming out of those, lol. Sounds delicious!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:59 am

2 days to eat a carton is nothing. I have done 2 hours - and my hips show it.

We are going to Oregon/Washington/Montana/islands off Washington. It's a road trip, so we are leaving a lot of things open aside from some reservations in Seattle. I love LOVE Tartine by the way - and my SO's company did the cookbook so I've started passing them out like favors because EVERYONE should have access to that croissant recipe. They literally have the best croissants ever, and yes I have traveled to France and Switzerland - but man those are incredible.

By the way, tomatoes with pecorino sounds fantastic. My SO and I first "clicked" shall we say in Pienza, where pecorino is made. So not only is it great, but I get the googly eyes when I eat it. this is what I'll blame the extra LBs on.

Edit: clicked means became interested, nothing dirty. sorry.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:19 am

The shortbread recipe in the Tartine cookbook is also delish.

MMmmm....free black walnuts....mmmm...

TMO you might have to get an extra ice cream machine for me!

Man I am so jealous of pithy. I miss Europe SO much! Maybe we can save up our student loan money and go to Paris or something over winter break. I want raclette!

And TMO by the sounds of your honey, you're DEFINITELY gonna have to hook me up with his buddies. Any guy who worked on the Tartine cookbook and fell for his gf in the town of cheese is alright with me!

I'll make you guys some brown butter madeleines when I get to town.

Who cares about law school? Its all about the food. THE FOOD!!

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am

wow. all this food talk is making me hungry... again. I want in on the sangria and croissant party too!

THanks for the tip re: finaid, Tmo. did you email Laurence Gallardo (major sp problems)? I should do that today before he leaves the office for the wknd. I don't want to spend all wknd stressing about this.

biolaw re:
Good deal, will do.

But why release the data the day after the deposit deadline? That seems strange.
I agree. I'm wondering if that has to do though, also with figuring out how big their matriculating student pool is. That might change how much money is left in the pool later -- I don't think it would be fair for them to downgrade from their estimate, but they might up it, if not as many grant-seeking students matriculate than expected. (?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 pm

ihatestudying wrote: I agree. I'm wondering if that has to do though, also with figuring out how big their matriculating student pool is. That might change how much money is left in the pool later -- I don't think it would be fair for them to downgrade from their estimate, but they might up it, if not as many grant-seeking students matriculate than expected. (?)
That just might be true, and it seems like a more "Davis-like" reason for having the official offers out on the 16th.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:01 pm

Everyone is welcome to sangria parties! Even those that end up somewhere else. If you leave me alone with croissants and sangria, there is no stopping me - so the more the merrier. And yes Ginger, it's about the food :lol:

I sent the email to the main financial aid email, but yes, LG (I won't try to spell that) was the one that wrote back to me. That's an interesting take on why they are releasing the info on the 16th, but sounds about right. The 16th seems like such a strategic date that there must be a reason for it.

Playing hooky today, yay! Putting together a nice picnic for Tilden Park. Ahhh, I love not being at my meaningless job!

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm

so... still nothing w/ the online deposit thing

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Playing hooky today, yay! Putting together a nice picnic for Tilden Park. Ahhh, I love not being at my meaningless job!

ooh, jealous! sounds fun! hope you have a blast.

... sadly, that has been my attitude for the past several months now... I'm just counting down the days... and TGIF!!! if senioritis were possible with a job, that's what I have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

windslashz

New

Post by windslashz » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:17 pm

If I get accepted sometime this April, I want to join the sangria party too! On a side note, I was really tempted to call Davis but after reading your note Az, I don't think I will. I called like 3 weeks ago, and they seemed pretty nice and gave the usual 'oh we're so busy routine.' I hope I get accepted too.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi W/S,

Yeah, they say if you call you just be directed to the status checker anyway.

I get this feeling Davis wants to cultivate a type B personality student body - their reputation for collegiality and a relatively chill 1L, for instance, add to this impression. So...Even though there are 1000 things that are hanging on whether I get in or not, some of them time-sensitive, I am sitting on my hands. Well, until six o'clock, when I allow a quick click on the never-changing status checker.

I'm not a naturally relaxed person, but I'm learning to imitate one pretty nicely :) .

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Nice, sounds like we will be organizing some sort of Davis/TLS party with booze and buttery goods! Good luck Windslashz!
Time for a nap. Food coma :D

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:51 pm

I get this feeling Davis wants to cultivate a type B personality student body
I think I'm a Type A/Type B combo, so my TYpe A blood must've slipped through the cracks! :twisted:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”