IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trancerz3

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by trancerz3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Two questions:

1) What are the LSAT and GPA medians going to be for this year? Last year they were a 162 and 3.6 (I believe). I'm sure it's higher this time around.

2) What's an average grant award at Davis? I got in already and got my package, but I'm just wondering how it compares to most people's.

For all of you that shed a tear every time the mailman leaves without that acceptance notice, I can only hope you get in. Some of you are remarkably committed, as is evidenced by the constant, never-ending commenting you do on this page.

Where will you go if you are turned down?

boomboom

New

Post by boomboom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:31 pm

trancerz3 wrote:Two questions:

2) What's an average grant award at Davis? I got in already and got my package, but I'm just wondering how it compares to most people's.
How do you ask this without throwing down your grant info? Don't you have to give to get?

Boom

google

New

Post by google » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm

boomboom wrote:

How do you ask this without throwing down your grant info? Don't you have to give to get?

Boom
/headshot

trancerz3

New

Post by trancerz3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36 pm

boomboom wrote:

Boom

No, because I'm not asking what your grant package looks like, I'm asking what the average grant package is like.

EDIT: Okay, fine. Total of 13 thousand.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm

trancerz3 wrote:
boomboom wrote:

Boom

No, because I'm not asking what your grant package looks like, I'm asking what the average grant package is like.

I think I got screwed because my parents had to be on my Need Access and they made money this year but REFUSE to help me at all. I got ZERO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trancerz3

New

Post by trancerz3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:10 pm

cantstop wrote:
trancerz3 wrote:
boomboom wrote:

Boom

I think I got screwed because my parents had to be on my Need Access and they made money this year but REFUSE to help me at all. I got ZERO.
Sorry to hear, buddy. Your parents must be very rich?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:24 pm

trancerz3 wrote: Sorry to hear, buddy. Your parents must be very rich?
I'd say they are comfortably within the middle class. They're divorced. My dad's disabled (has been for ten years) and my mom's got a great financial adviser. FML.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:09 pm

right now, according to LSN, the 25-M-75s for GPA and LSAT are shaping up to be:

3.35-3.55-3.73 and 160-162-164

WHOA, on LSN someone with my exact #s (3.8/165) got WLed. That's not yield protection because the rest of us got in. That d00d must have written his PS about how he likes to sexually abuse livestock or something.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:30 pm

cantstop wrote:
trancerz3 wrote: Sorry to hear, buddy. Your parents must be very rich?
I'd say they are comfortably within the middle class. They're divorced. My dad's disabled (has been for ten years) and my mom's got a great financial adviser. FML.
I got zero grant $ too. I didn't have to report my parents, but I've worked for the past couple years and Davis says I make too much money to qualify. Of course, I make too little to pay for a fraction of law school without taking out loans. Not to mention that I won't be working in a couple months. Sigh.

Maybe Davis will give me a grant next year, when I have no salary to report.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 pm

trancerz3 wrote:
boomboom wrote:

Boom

Your grant is considerably higher than most. I think the average is around 7 or 8 k per year

trancerz3

New

Post by trancerz3 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I've seen some projections that indicate that we might drop to tier 2 in the rankings this year. This sounds scary, considering we did have a free-fall last year of ten spots. Anybody else hear anything to confirm or dispute this?

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:50 pm

I just received the good news! I'm in! Too bad they are only giving me until 4/15 to accept their offer! That is totally whack.

trancerz3

New

Post by trancerz3 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:53 pm

jenbren wrote:I just received the good news! I'm in! Too bad they are only giving me until 4/15 to accept their offer! That is totally whack.

Congrats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:45 pm

trancerz3 wrote:I've seen some projections that indicate that we might drop to tier 2 in the rankings this year. This sounds scary, considering we did have a free-fall last year of ten spots. Anybody else hear anything to confirm or dispute this?
I haven't heard this. I don't see why this would happen.

But :shock: :shock: :shock: , nonetheless. The new rankings should be out soon, right?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:20 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:
trancerz3 wrote:I've seen some projections that indicate that we might drop to tier 2 in the rankings this year. This sounds scary, considering we did have a free-fall last year of ten spots. Anybody else hear anything to confirm or dispute this?
I haven't heard this. I don't see why this would happen.

But :shock: :shock: :shock: , nonetheless. The new rankings should be out soon, right?
This is all head-in-ass stuff. There is no good reason to believe that Davis will be T2 anymore than there's good reason to believe it will rocket into the top-25. Historically, Davis has averaged a ranking in the mid-30s (for the past 10 years). If anything, it will probably go up a few slots. But the main thing is: Until the rankings come out, nobody knows.

google

New

Post by google » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:57 pm

There would be a student uprising at King Hall if it dropped out of the top 50.

:oops:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:10 pm

google wrote:There would be a student uprising at King Hall if it dropped out of the top 50.

:oops:
It would certainly make me regret the whole passing-on-GW-and-BU thing, but to be honest I really don't see UCD falling out of the top-50, it's been T1 since forever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 pm

No way. Not gonna happen. :?

pretzellogic

New

Post by pretzellogic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:43 pm

The people at UC Davis's Career Services center don't want to answer my questions, for some reason, and the 15th is creeping up rapidly, so I need an answer NOW.

Maybe someone here knows. If you're going to Davis and you don't know, I'd worry a bit... There's a 40k gap between the average salary at Hastings and Davis -- what's up with that?

This is a portion of the email I sent to Davis which, after 3 tries, is still yet to be answered:

3) On the discrepancy between UC Davis Law & UC Hastings salary data:

The UC Davis School of Law profile at Top Law Schools (http://www.top-law-schools.com/davis-law-school.html) states that, "On average, approximately 95% of [UC Davis School of Law's] students have jobs after graduation with an average starting salary totaling slightly above $78,000."

On the other hand, UC Hastings' website (--LinkRemoved--) states that the "average" (mean or median is not specified) salary is $115,097 for the class of 2007, assumably as of February 2008, nine months after graduation.

I have no idea why there should be a nearly $40,000 dollar salary gap between UC Davis and UC Hastings, however I do not disbelieve the numbers. I do not think UC Hastings is manipulating its statistics such that this ENORMOUS gap can be accounted for. Why does this gap exist?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Not that I believe any job stats from ANY school...

But assuming each is similarly derived, I would chalk it up to where the grads end up practicing. UCH overwhelmingly SF; UCD more evenly split SF & Sac (though I don't know what the distro is like). I don't get the feeling Sac COL is 35% less than SF, but it is substantial enough that my mom makes the commute from Sac to SF every day.

Edit: thought of another hypothesis when I hit submit. Maybe more UCD end up in state govt while more UCH go into better paying firm/ corporate jobs.

Edit2: Math fix

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:58 pm

pretzellogic wrote:The people at UC Davis's Career Services center don't want to answer my questions, for some reason, and the 15th is creeping up rapidly, so I need an answer NOW.

Maybe someone here knows. If you're going to Davis and you don't know, I'd worry a bit... There's a 40k gap between the average salary at Hastings and Davis -- what's up with that?

This is a portion of the email I sent to Davis which, after 3 tries, is still yet to be answered:

The UC Davis School of Law profile at Top Law Schools (http://www.top-law-schools.com/davis-law-school.html) states that, "On average, approximately 95% of [UC Davis School of Law's] students have jobs after graduation with an average starting salary totaling slightly above $78,000."

On the other hand, UC Hastings' website (--LinkRemoved--) states that the "average" (mean or median is not specified) salary is $115,097 for the class of 2007, assumably as of February 2008, nine months after graduation.

I have no idea why there should be a nearly $40,000 dollar salary gap between UC Davis and UC Hastings, however I do not disbelieve the numbers. I do not think UC Hastings is manipulating its statistics such that this ENORMOUS gap can be accounted for. Why does this gap exist?
Yeah, I would guess it is because most davis kids go into Sac or public interest - it is that kind of place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Davis places a ton of graduates into the Sacramento market and govt/PI jobs (of which there are of course a ton in Sacramento), which tend to be lower paying. According to ILRG's most recently published data, comparing the two school's median private sector salaries yields a much smaller disparity ($120,000 for Hastings, $103,000 for Davis) which can be almost entirely explained by the different costs of living/salaries between Sacramento and Bay Area firms.

hth

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:11 pm

pretzellogic wrote:The people at UC Davis's Career Services center don't want to answer my questions, for some reason, and the 15th is creeping up rapidly, so I need an answer NOW.

Those TLS profiles are OLD. If you read the Hastings one it lists the tuition as like 21k or something. That was 3-5 years ago. Now its 32k.

I think the difference is more like 10-15k, not 40k. And it has to do with COL more than anything else. The only real differences between UCH and UCD in terms of job prospects are location, not caliber of work. UCH = Bay Area, UCD = mostly Sacramento, and some Bay Area.

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 am

jenbren wrote:I just received the good news! I'm in! Too bad they are only giving me until 4/15 to accept their offer! That is totally whack.
I just checked and I'm in as well--pdf letter dated 4/10. I'm in DC so I have yet to receive a hard copy. The pdf letter also says I have to respond by the 15th!! That is completely ridculous, considering that's 2 days from now and I have not even received my letter. Anyone have success getting a deposit extension, and if so who did you email/talk to? How much is the deposit anyway?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 am

DCDeckard wrote:
I just checked and I'm in as well--pdf letter dated 4/10. I'm in DC so I have yet to receive a hard copy. The pdf letter also says I have to respond by the 15th!! That is completely ridculous, considering that's 2 days from now and I have not even received my letter. Anyone have success getting a deposit extension, and if so who did you email/talk to? How much is the deposit anyway?
I'm pretty sure the letter you get ( that doesn't have a huge red "unofficial" watermarked across it) gives you three weeks from the date of your letter. So does the admitted students website.

First deposit is $250, second is $500.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”