IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmo

Bronze

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Interesting... what does Law Loan-LW stand for? I think I didn't qualify for Grad Plus loans? And I know they set out a living expense budget of 14K, but say I thought I might go higher than that... I guess it's up to private loans now? I guess it might be time to head to the Financial Aid forum...

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Okay... about to pay deposit! As with general consensus, this isn't as eventful as I had imagined it to be... But Davis, here I come!

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 pm

IIRC, law loans is a generic term for private and GradPLUS. You will need to decide which type you want to cover that amount.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:06 pm

I am pleased that the grant amount in the estimate matched the official financial aid package. I was pretty nervous because the grant was a major reason for choosing Davis.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Woo hoo! My grant amount went up! The fin aid gentleman said for a few people, grants would go up between estimate & the actual package! Guess I got lucky! Except I'm being audited... well, I need to "verify my fin aid application," which is only kind of a hassle, but I've been audited for fin aid before, and I keep wondering why they question how poor I am. Oh well, grants went up, so I'm happy! I know there's an "official class of 2011 @ UC Davis" thread (can't remember the exact name) but I feel so at home on this thread... can we just stay here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 pm

oopivyoo wrote:
Faye Valentine wrote:I'm about to pay my deposit tonight.

But I've been doing a huge housing hunt, and guys, THIS IS SUCH A NIGHTMARE! I don't know who said searching in the summer would be fine, but I have called about 15 different complexes & property management companies, and they are ALL completely booked for fall... even if I ask for a move-in date in July or August, they say there is absolutely nothing available. HELP!!!!!
Try Craigslist. Last weekend I looked at 2 houses that were leasing in June/ July with the option of carrying over in Aug. Maybe thats because I'm looking for a 2+ bedroom house though. But i did see a few apartments opening up in July on craigslist.
Okay. Giving Craigslist a shot. I've been trying to compare apartments on Craigslist to the DavisWiki info, but I have a question:
How reliable and "true to life" is the information about apartments on the Wiki? I mean, almost ALL of the comments are SUPER negative, and only a few complexes and management companies have some positive comments, although almost every single one has negative feedback. Is this an accurate picture of how the places actually are, or is it self-selecting? Do only people with bad experiences talk on the Wiki? How much weight should I give these comments? I mean, I really don't want to live in a place where 5 different people say there was a roach problem that was never addressed, or rude managers/owners, or lackluster maintenance jobs... should these comments be taken with a grain of salt, or are they pretty accurate?

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:51 pm

Davis wiki is very self selecting and Davis students have incredibly high standards. My apartment complex has a ton of negative comments about the management and price, but we have awesome amenities and the management has been great for us (fixing problems two hours after reporting, etc). Plus if you are coming from an urban area you actually get a lot for what you are paying. So take wiki comments with a whole shaker of salt.

One exception: if you hear a complex has a reputation as a party complex that is probably slightly true. like arlington and parkside.

Good luck with the house search. It is kinda annoying that leases start is sept and most houses are gone because many apartments ask you to sign a lease in Feb, but I know you will find something.

And if anyone wants to move to Davis early, to get to know the area or if your lease is up...I am subleasing a room in a 4 bedroom apartment for July and August :).

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 pm

quote=Okay. Giving Craigslist a shot. I've been trying to compare apartments on Craigslist to the DavisWiki info, but I have a question:
How reliable and "true to life" is the information about apartments on the Wiki? I mean, almost ALL of the comments are SUPER negative, and only a few complexes and management companies have some positive comments, although almost every single one has negative feedback. Is this an accurate picture of how the places actually are, or is it self-selecting? Do only people with bad experiences talk on the Wiki? How much weight should I give these comments? I mean, I really don't want to live in a place where 5 different people say there was a roach problem that was never addressed, or rude managers/owners, or lackluster maintenance jobs... should these comments be taken with a grain of salt, or are they pretty accurate?[/quote]

This is a hard question. I went looking at some 2 bedrooms going for 1100 that were total sh@t holes, and saw other 1200 dollar ones that were very nice. I don’t think you can really tell just by the price. Wish I had some advice, but if there are a bunch of people saying that specific places are bad I wouldn’t try it. Heres another link where apartments are rated though http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CA-Davis.html

What’s up with financial aid?? Did everyone else get theirs in today but me? I was pretty excited hearing all of you talk about getting it in, but when I checked mine was still incomplete. Because I was admitted last week I wont be getting an estimate either, so I'm pretty anxious to see if I get any grants. Also, for those of you that recieved decent FA packages, what was your estimated student contribution? Mine was 276. I dont know whether or not this will impact me getting a grant as it is not 0.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:09 pm

My estimated student contribution was about $1200, and I was able to receive a large grant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:11 pm

God, where the hell did the get my estimated student contribution? It is close to 10K. That said, I still got a grant, so oopivyoo you should be fine.

Also, agreed that we might as well keep the Davis thread here. Just thought I'd try since there was a difference between people wanting to talk about Davis versus people actually attending... but now that's all null and void so whatev.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Let's talk about Davis and I were meant to be:

Only at my law school would the online bookstore sell not one, not two, but THREE types of estate bottled UC Davis olive oil, as well as a fancy UC Davis red wine vinegar.

GO AGGIES!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Meh, they are obviously waiting for the seat deposits to come in before they issue any more decisions. I wish they'd just put me out of my misery!

Congrats to the people who got good financial news and to those of you who are FINALLY DONE WITH THIS MESS (as far as deciding goes).

I wouldn't worry too much about housing. If you can get through the law school application process, you will be able to rustle something up! Sorry I'm not much help. Last year there seemed to be "for rent" signs up everywhere, but this year not so much. The undergrad pop is constantly expanding, so it's really a weird thing year-to-year.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:06 am

azoraraine wrote:Meh, they are obviously waiting for the seat deposits to come in before they issue any more decisions. I wish they'd just put me out of my misery!
I wish I could have made my deposit conditional on your acceptance. Actually, if I knew that you would be given my seat, I would have withdrawn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 am

Azo, think positively!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:44 am

matt79 wrote:
azoraraine wrote:Meh, they are obviously waiting for the seat deposits to come in before they issue any more decisions. I wish they'd just put me out of my misery!
I wish I could have made my deposit conditional on your acceptance. Actually, if I knew that you would be given my seat, I would have withdrawn.
What can one say in reply to something so nice? Seriously, that's like offering someone a kidney :) . I am so glad you DID decide to come to Davis!

I was going to try to make an elaborate Schrödinger's cat analogy about the status of my app, but am too tired to finesse it :roll:. I hope, though, that I am not making people on this thread feel guilty about accepting seats! I only hang out here because I am in town and can sometimes answer questions - plus apparently UCD and I dig the same kind of people!

As I've said before, I win whether I'm accepted or rejected because I get to have all you fabulous folks here studying law at the same time as me either way :D .

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 am

Faye Valentine wrote:Azo, think positively!
I'm trying, Faye. That side job this weekend cut into my meditation & yoga time, so my brain waves are not optimized at the moment :) . Now that we've recovered from the red-eye-barf-a-rama flu, I should be back to my happy self in a day or two. I'm super excited at the prospect of getting to meet some of you soon - and of school starting (either one).

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:14 am

Az we need new avatars. I put up my dog here for you. You should put on the barfing basset.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 am

Ginger123 wrote:Az we need new avatars. I put up my dog here for you. You should put on the barfing basset.
OMG, he's SO cute! I'm such a dog person. I will try to find a good one of my old guy soon.

I think, however, that I'm going to wear this stupid hat until Davis decides my fate - even though it appears Emily has abandoned us!

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am

Ginger, your dog is SO CUTE!!!!!

az - hang in there. I"m sure more decisions are coming as the first deposit thing is today!

I got my finaid today too, finally. Nothing new, unfortunately, but they seem to think I can pay more than i can :(. It's all about the loans, I guess. Oh well. I've pretty much resigned myself to the amt I need to take out, but I'm hoping I can TA or something 2L or 3L year and offset some of that.

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Where do you get your financial aid info on the admitted website?

Thank you much,
JZ

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I figured it out and got my info.

JZ

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Does anyone have any concrete reasons as to why Davis career services hasn't gotten the best reviews as of late? This is obviously a concern and while I noted that the Dean addressed that they were going to make moves to change this in that letter he sent out re: rankings, I would be interested to get a clearer grasp of what it is that "sucks" about it. Anyone?

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm

i dunno, but its not hard to imagine that most schools career services suck

i mean, imagine how good your undergrad career services was. mine was worthless

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:06 pm

TMO - I was wondering about this myself. I thought that the career svcs director, who spoke at the ASW, was super-enthusiastic. But I'm guessing maybe one person can't handle the whole class? I don't know how many other people she's got working with her or for her. The public interest director seemed knowledgeable, but not as *gungho* as the career servies lady. That could just be a personality thing though.

I'd be curious to hear from existing Davis ppl about this... :(

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:39 am

Az, anything exciting happen today? Has pink eye subsided?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”