IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by azoraraine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:35 pm

J_ wrote:
axnguyen wrote:It's 3:30 AM, and I just found out I'm in. I can't sleep now.
Congrats axn! We're index twins (though our lsat/gpas are swapped) and that gives me some good hope. Have a fun day celebrating!
Congrats, axn and goodluck to J! tmo, you will have no trouble finding a good place to live. I agree that living downtown has a lot of advantages, but if not there are plenty of nice complexes all over. Renting a small house or duplex might also be an option, if you prefer to have a yard and garden. There are plenty available at this time of year.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:28 pm

az, how much would a small place with bit of a yard for gardening be? ideally i would love a small little cottage. i dont need a lot of space but i kind of want some sort of green space.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm

I heard about the pipebomb at Davis! That's so crazy, in sweet little, quiet Davis... there was also a small bomb detonated at an armed services recruiting center in NYC early in the morning, but it's NYC and not such a crazy thing to believe (haha).
azoraraine wrote:Renting a small house or duplex might also be an option, if you prefer to have a yard and garden. There are plenty available at this time of year.
OH AZOR! I've been thinking about the cost v. QOL benefits of finding a split duplex to rent. I wouldn't care about top or bottom level, but I'm looking for a one bedroom, but with enough room for me & my SO... and my little pug. We don't really like the idea or feel of large complexes, but I haven't been able to find many duplexes on craigslist... most of the postings are all for apartments in the same complex. What are good areas to look for duplexes? I don't think we can afford rent on a house, and we're not really looking to live with other people, so I think a small duplex is the best idea. Are there many within walking / biking distance of campus? And how much do they usually run? I'm going to start contacting those reality firms, but I'd like to have a ball park cost in mind, and maybe general location ideas as well. Moving is such a burden, and I'm still really hesitant to start making plans because I'm still waiting to hear from Boalt, and I don't want to have to confront a rejection by making alternate arrangements until I get a letter that confirms my doom!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Anything I should ask the Davis 1L that is calling? I have a phone date in an hour.

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:47 am

Guys! don't worry about the pipebomb thing. It was just a stupid freshman with some chemicals and was judged not that dangerous. It only affected about 300 people in the dorms which aren't really on campus anyway, but out near the dairy. Davis really is a safe and awesome, but it is a town of 60,000 so of course it isn't perfect. But still, don't freak out, in general this is a really amazing place.

P.s. my apartment complex is on the expensive side, but it is amazing with a great gym, pool and right near a bunch of parks. really quite and extremely spacious. Saratoga West. Check it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 am

tmo wrote:Anything I should ask the Davis 1L that is calling? I have a phone date in an hour.
Probably too late, but you could ask her to go and find my app and toss it into the accepted pile. That would be the question I would have, would she mind doing you that favor :) . Also ask how loud the construction is going to be, lol!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:10 am

Hey, I didn't get a paper today - sorry. I will be sure to get one tomorrow. My ex is still out of work and I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to get all the stuff together to ask Guv'ner Ahnold for health insurance for my kids. Fun.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Bump for ASD on Saturday.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Good call. I'll be there!
Hey AZ - which one of the construction sites near King Hall is going to be the new law school? I know that the Business School is also building something new around there too. (you are officially my go to Davis person at this point)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Apparently the new building is going to be connected to the old one as a new wing and theoretically is supposed to be done by next summer. I supremely hope so because I dont want to be studying through jackhammers for three years.

TMO, its kinda hard to tell from the campus map but where is the law school close to? Like what is the closest neighborhood?

Cant go to the ASD since I am in DC with commitments but maybe the April one will work.

And yup Im still waiting on Hastings, as well as 7 schools. Sigh.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Ginger123 wrote:TMO, its kinda hard to tell from the campus map but where is the law school close to? Like what is the closest neighborhood?
You can almost see it from the 80, it's right on the edge of school. Closest neighborhood would be downtown (I'm think?). Or technically, you could cross the 80 and be right in South Davis... someone please correct me if this is off.

Good to know about the law school construction. I think the business school is going to be right next to it then. Exciting!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Why can't I find what time this thing ends? I thought I saw it was 3 or so, but now I can't find that anywhere. Anyone know for sure?

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Over at 3 officially, but 2-3pm is a campus tour, so if you had to leave early you probably could. If you go to the events/deadlines tab on the Admit website, you can click on the Open House link for the schedule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Duh, thank you. Looking in the wrong place.

app1234

New

Post by app1234 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:01 pm

how long were people generally in the 'evaluation in progress' stage? i've only been in for about a week and since i know it's the last stage the anticipation is driving me crazy!

...especially since the status check hasn't been updated since 3/10.
thanks!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:01 pm

2 weeks.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:05 pm

app1234 wrote:how long were people generally in the 'evaluation in progress' stage? i've only been in for about a week and since i know it's the last stage the anticipation is driving me crazy!

...especially since the status check hasn't been updated since 3/10.
thanks!
Check out the "Davis Status Checker" thread. It can be pretty variable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm

tmo wrote:Good call. I'll be there!
Hey AZ - which one of the construction sites near King Hall is going to be the new law school? I know that the Business School is also building something new around there too. (you are officially my go to Davis person at this point)
I don't know, but I think Ginger answered this. There are also some apartments right off 80 on Olive drive that would be very close to the law school. It's a bad neighborhood (my ex lives around there, and it pains me to have my kids in his particular, um, trailer park), but the apartments are gated. They are, you know, regular apartments, but if you're just looking for something close it might be an option. Easy walk/bike to downtown, campus and the little Mall-ey thing w/ Habit burger there. Also a stone's throw from In-n-Out.

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Anyone received a merit scholarship from Davis? If so, how long did it take after your acceptance to receive notice? Thanks.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:57 pm

brizz9 wrote:Anyone received a merit scholarship from Davis? If so, how long did it take after your acceptance to receive notice? Thanks.
I got one, and it came with the acceptance package.

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 pm

Bump for Badlydrawngirl's acceptance :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BadlyDrawnGirl

New

Post by BadlyDrawnGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:20 pm

^Thanks emilyk!!! :D :D :D

160/3.61, non-urm; I, too, was at evaluation in progress for about 2 weeks.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Resurrecting the Aggie thread cuz I'm thisclose to putting down my deposit.

Anyone else hear back? Augustlights where are you??

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Good luck with the deposit Ginger - they won't even let you send it in until their electronic payment system is up and that is... still pending. But glad to hear you may be putting down a deposit! After all this talk about youngun's, it's good to know another old fart will be there.
Also, thanks for posting all you 3L chat info. Very informative.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:07 pm

So... the deposit is due in just over two weeks, but still no word on how to pay it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”