IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmo

Bronze

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Mmm, those all sound fantastic (aside from yucky peaches i guess). What else would be good? Pears? Apricots? Kiwi? Grapefruit? I don't really know, got the juicer less than a week ago!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 pm

tmo wrote:Mmm, those all sound fantastic (aside from yucky peaches i guess). What else would be good? Pears? Apricots? Kiwi? Grapefruit? I don't really know, got the juicer less than a week ago!
We have a little grapefruit tree - maybe it will bloom this year - but the fruit come in winter. I've tried kiwi - you need a male and a female. Winter killed them. Maybe try again this year, bc the kids love them. Yucky peaches might be okay for juice, lol. I can't wait for your and your juicer!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:49 pm

tmo wrote: The verdict: I should have taken the logic games section completely shitfaced. Who knew.
I doubt you would have been the first, lol! I am certainly going to take you up on your kind offer when the inevitable rejection arrives on my desktop. So happy you found a place. I think I know those apartments - they are cute! And it's a straight shot downtown, and an easy bike to campus. You are set. Must feel great! Now you can go on your trip and relax before 1L.

I meant to PM that, but whatever :)

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Mmmmm I want a juicer.

1. Fresh canteloupe juice is amazing. Esp. if you freeze it into popsicles or make fresh sorbet.

2. Green apple and beets.

3. Juice up some meyer lemons for awesome lemonade.

4. Fresh tomato juice (outrageously good)

5. Apple spinach juice.

6. Take the pulp and make carrot cake and zuchinni bread.

7. Use pulp for veggie stock or mix into soups or pasta sauce.

8. Pineapple strawberry juice.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Will plant some melons for you, Ginger. Have beets (some - they are not growing right). Two Meyer lemon trees, but the season is almost done. I have a recipe for a Meyer lemon/romaine/kalamata/Parmesan salad that is to die for. I think it's from the Green's, but we've modified it. Will share!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 am

Mmmmm......I heart Az.

I love gardening.

I always learned to mix radish seeds with carrot seeds and that naturally thins the carrots out since the radishes are round and fat. I wonder if that would work with beets?

I really want to try growing fraise de bois (wild wood strawberries). They're impossible to find commercially and I lurv them.

I make a famous (among my friends) sangria - I think all your fruit would be wonderful in it!!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Mmmmmm melon juice.
I suck at gardening, but thankfully there is an abundance of produce options in these parts. Going later today to stock up, thanks for the tips Ginger! (and looking forward to that Sangria)
I have a major food hangover today. Had one of the best meals of my life last night. God I will miss being in SF sometimes.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Mmmmmm....Sangria. Food Coma.

Its like my perfect weekend.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi all! New to this thread, but Ive been reading for a couple weeks. For all of you that are still in "awaiting evaluation", I wrote to the director of admision and got mine changed to eval. in progress that day. I'm still waiting on a reply, and its been about 5 days, but at least I got into the last stage! Hope this helps. Also, if you have a family or are planning to live on campus housing its best to apply as soon as possible, even if you havent been accepted yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:14 pm

That's great that you were able to do that. I guess I'm just a fragile flower or something - too afraid I'll make someone mad by asking to get in the front of the line, lol. Gonna make a great lawyer with that personality, I know :) . Is Davis a top choice for you? I live here, so if you have any questions about the town, ask away!

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Davis is my top choice. I was accepted to Hastings, Loyola, and pepperdine, but you cant beat the cost of living at Davis, plus I have two little boys (one going in into kindergarden and the other into first grade), the schools are great and the community in Davis is excellent for families. I do have a question though, my wife is going to be looking for work in Davis (something like receptionist, or Human Resouces), and we were wondering how difficult it is to get a job there. She would really like to get a campus job if possible, but seeing as its a small town with such a huge amount of educated people in it, it would seem like you have to have a PHD to flip burgers (being sarcastic obviously). Thanks for the help.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi,

I have three boys - all under four. I know. What am I thinking. Maybe we can do play dates if the ages are right :) .

Honestly, it can be hard to get on at the university. One way a lot of people do it is through the temp pool - if you work temp for a while, eventually you can get a "real" job on campus. The pay sucks, but a lot of people do it because they want to work on campus, and they want the eventual good benefits, etc. that the university provides to its non-temp employees. It's not impossible, though, to get a real job right off the bat - perhaps the law school can even help you out a bit with that, who knows?

If not, there are lots of jobs outside of the university - in the pubic schools, etc. etc. I doubt your wife will have a hard time finding something.

I can see why it's your first choice. Good luck - if you got into Hastings, you probably have more than a good shot at Davis!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:37 am

tmo,

What was the meal you had?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:18 pm

azoraraine wrote:tmo,

What was the meal you had?
Oh, it was some fancy schmancy place in the city called Quince, by brother took me there to celebrate a variety of things. We just ordered a TON of different things - sea scallops, cheeses, 3 different delicious pastas, then a couple different entrees at the end (steak and squab), followed up by some chocolatey chocolate dessert with gelato. All this was accompanied by two of the best bottles of wine I've had in a lonnngg time - so yeah, I was very happy. Although since I guess I drank a whole bottle on my own, and had been watching the NCAA tournament with beers beforehand... yesterday wasn't a fabulous day.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:22 pm

By the way, welcome oopivyoo! Good luck to you with Davis. Based on your previous acceptances, it sounds like you have a good shot. When did you apply for on campus housing? I went into the Russel Park/Atriums office and they told me that even the waitlist was closed for the year - this was about a week ago though so I guess I was just too late. Those rents sounded mighty tempting.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 pm

tmo wrote:By the way, welcome oopivyoo! Good luck to you with Davis. Based on your previous acceptances, it sounds like you have a good shot. When did you apply for on campus housing? I went into the Russel Park/Atriums office and they told me that even the waitlist was closed for the year - this was about a week ago though so I guess I was just too late. Those rents sounded mighty tempting.
I applied for the "parks" housing, which is for students with families, in early Febuary. Which reminds me...IMPORTANT FOR ALL THOSE APPLYING UC DAVIS HOUSING... I called to check my status on the waitlist about a week ago, and the lady in charge told me that they would only let me get a place once it was veriffied that I was enrolled in 15 units. I told her that I wouldnt be enrolled in 15 units (nor did I know whether the units are the same for law as undergrad school) until right before I started school, and I wanted to move in about a month before hand. She originally told me this was not possible until I told her that I was Applying To the Law School, in which case she said she was glad I told her as the requirement for law school students is only to be admitted in order to get into housing. If she had not made those corrections I wouldn't have been able to move in. Also, the month you apply for makes a big difference. I was 12th on the waitlist to move in during July (I cant move in until then) but I was able to jump to the 2nd on the waitlist by switching my move in date to June (I'll pay an extra month's rent just to get the rate :) {$600-$650 for a 2 bedroom with utilities, internet, and cable aint bad}). I can always move my date back to July, but this way I have a much better shot. Hope this helps!
James

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:45 pm

tmo,

That meal sounds incredible. I would love to have something big enough to celebrate there (hint, hint, UCD :) ). Hope today is better!

Ginger, I think I have some of those little strawberries. They set some babies and grow well in pots. I will give you one of the offspring when you get here (if UVA doesn't ring).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 pm

thanks for the info, oopivy. I was lookinginto the grad school housing option as well, but I wasn't sure about the idea of being on a waitlist potentially a few days before I move in. It's a cross-country move for me, so we're notn keen on camping out in a parking lot while in limbo. ... Have you had a chance to look at both Parks, btw? I haven't been able to tell what the inside of these places actually looks like from the info that's online...

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:13 am

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:48 pm

So are we getting financial info tomorrow? In the mail or via the admitted students site?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:51 pm

anyone else still awaiting evaluation

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:57 pm

kev: i was awaiting evaluation until 2 weeks ago. now im evaluation in progress...
I believe azoraraine is still awaiting evaluation

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:58 pm

tmo wrote:So are we getting financial info tomorrow? In the mail or via the admitted students site?
I don't know. Hopefully it'll be online so we don't have to wait for it to come through the mail.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:58 pm

kevsocko wrote:anyone else still awaiting evaluation
Yup. Me. I'm about to lose my mind.

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:37 pm

So are we getting financial info tomorrow? In the mail or via the admitted students site?

I don't know. Hopefully it'll be online so we don't have to wait for it to come through the mail.
I hope so. This is the last bit of info I need.

Though anyone - sockpuppet- know anything about how much aid might change for married filing jointly vs. married filing separately?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”