IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gtg263r

Bronze

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm

i owe $20k from my undergrad loans

i dont consider it a big deal

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm

although, the undergrad loans + my grad loans will snowball in to a big deal

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

IHS-

I wouldn't worry about 18K over 3 years. If you think Davis will give you better career opportunities and/or the chance to perform better b/c you're happier...then you'll easily make up that 18K within the first year or two out of school. What is the school that's cheaper for you?

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:09 pm

---edited for content --

ok just lookd at the Johnson profile. Darn, he taught the Critical Race Theory class. That's one I would've liked to have taken, but he might not teach it now that he's Dean.
Last edited by ihatestudying on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:30 pm

tmo wrote:Ha, that's fabulous. I seriously was pondering living elsewhere because of the BBQ, so good for you. I will be very jealous!
You all are more than welcome to come over and eat it, but cooking it is part of the fun.

tmo wrote:Nope, wasn't there - but more imporantly, did the have it yet???!!!!! Please tell me they did. If not, this does NOT bode well for next Spring.
They did have it in Davis and also at one location in Sac (Fair Oaks).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dangerzone10

New

Post by dangerzone10 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Does anyone know how Davis grads fare in the LA job market?

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Fun.
I found a thread from sock on the financial aid board that showed me a link to which schools are Direct Lenders:
--LinkRemoved--

Davis is a Direct Lender, but Hastings is not. As I understand it (via Sock's infinite wisdom), Direct lending schools offer you a 0.6% discount off your Plus loans, and are negotiated directly through the Dept. of Education.

sweet.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:00 pm

newtocali wrote:for the davis locals -

wat do you think of a commute to/from fairfield? really stressful? is there alot of traffic? would the commute to/from vacaville be alot more manageable?

my husband needs to commute to/from vallejo so we are trying to find something that will work for both of us.
I don't know about Fairfield, but Vacaville is a very easy commute. Well, by ex was driving the other way, but I doubt it can be too bad. Sorry I can't help more.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:21 pm

matt79 wrote:They did have it in Davis and also at one location in Sac (Fair Oaks).
Excellent. Davis need no longer fear me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:33 pm

YAY for Davis direct lending.

We should start an old people who like to grill commune. :)

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:25 am

Ginger123 wrote:YAY for Davis direct lending.

We should start an old people who like to grill commune. :)
Is there really an ordinance against grilling? If so, that's nuts. There is a woman who lives behind my parents who burns garbage in her fireplace each and every day that the temperature outside is below 75 and - believe me, we've checked - there is no ordinance against that. Because we can't prove it's garbage :( .

I object to twentysomethings calling themselves old, btw :D .

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 am

Sorry its my birthday on Thursday so I FEEL old.

Az how're the babies?

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:46 am

Ginger123 wrote:Sorry its my birthday on Thursday so I FEEL old.

Az how're the babies?
They are awesome. Oh, except we have been sick, so that's why I haven't been posting as much. I worry about the one that had problems, but today we were blowing dandelions and I asked him what he wished for. He said, "I wish chocolate." That kid is going to be okay :) .

I'm still in rage mode over the bullying, but hopefully the teacher will instruct the working parents to protect my big guy. If not, we're out of there.

Let's go for a hibiscus tea when you finally land in Davis! I will bring the big guy - he's a charmer. The other two are a little overwhelming for the uninitiated.

Oh, and good luck finding a good place for you and your dog! This is definitely a dog-friendly place. If your dog was directing your cycle for you I think he would have made the same decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 am

Ginger123 wrote:Sorry its my birthday on Thursday so I FEEL old.
Happy Birthday! We are not old, just mature. :D

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:56 am

I was bullied ALOT as a kid. I was always tall for my height and these boys in kindergarten used to throw clods of dirt at me as I walked up to school. My parents didnt speak any English but my mom and dad came on separate days to drop me off and basically shamed the boys into never bothering me again.

My mom did it again several other times later when I was older (try being 5'8" from age 9) and she called and basically shamed the other kids.

I dont know what their parents thought but they never said anything and I have always felt grateful for that.

I'm not advocating that you do that, since I'm pretty sure you'd rile up some parents but frankly if I was a mom and some kid of mine hit another kid and wagged a finger at them I'd think my kid deserved it.

Can you talk to the parents of the bullies?

GOB

New

Post by GOB » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 am

dangerzone10 wrote:Does anyone know how Davis grads fare in the LA job market?
I'm interested too. I get the impression that Loyola is better for practicing in LA, but that Davis presents more opportunites outside of SoCal, but I'd be curious to hear what someone says who knows what they're talking about.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:13 pm

azoraraine wrote:Is there really an ordinance against grilling? If so, that's nuts.
Nope, no ordinance, I'm just moving into a tiny little complex with balconies stacked on top of each other, so I guess they don't want grills. It's a pain. I'm leaving mine at my parents house until I meet someone who is worthy of keeping the grill at their place. Until then I will just show up at Matt79's place to grill and hang with my new BFF (his girlfriend).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Also, it looks like they have updated that PDF for housing ads on the admitted student site to Fall 2008 -it's pretty empty right now (I think there are 3 or 4 listings), but at least it's current information!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm

tmo wrote:
azoraraine wrote:Is there really an ordinance against grilling? If so, that's nuts.
Nope, no ordinance, I'm just moving into a tiny little complex with balconies stacked on top of each other, so I guess they don't want grills. It's a pain. I'm leaving mine at my parents house until I meet someone who is worthy of keeping the grill at their place. Until then I will just show up at Matt79's place to grill and hang with my new BFF (his girlfriend).
(raises a quite hand...right down the street...)

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Do you want to house a grill? It's a nice one!!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:37 pm

tmo-

You just made me cry. I have that exact grill. But when I moved up here from SD, we didn't have a balcony anymore, so its sitting in my parents garage collecting dust. It's a beauty, though.

And Az...STILL not under evaluation? What are they doing with your app? I feel like they should have just changed everyone who is still pending to "Eval in progress". I mean, how many decisions do they really have left to make?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:38 pm

It makes me shed a tear or too as well. Hopefully your next place will allow it.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:38 pm

tmo wrote:Do you want to house a grill? It's a nice one!!

Does Davis reject 95% of 160 applicants (in other words, hell, yeah!)? DROOL.

I think you should at least wait to see if you hate me and/or my kids first, though. We are not particularly pleasant, especially in aggregate :) .

But, um, yeah. If you find a more suitable place you can always move it!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Well we probably won't move it in the original move due to space constraints, but my Dad will most likely bring it up by mid-fall. I'm sure I'll have figured out if I can stand you and your crazy kids by then :wink:

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Biolaw,

Nope. I'm over it. There can't be any spaces left at this point, so, whatever. Should have gotten my app in sooner. Now that I'm calling it UOP, I am feeling better about McGeorge. Damn, have to go take care of my kids now...See you all later!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”