IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emilyk

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 am

sup in this thread

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:40 am

Yeah, I'm here too. Now what should we talk about?

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 am

Davis? JK.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 am

I think the thing that has been annoying is that Davis has only admitted a handful of TLSers so there isnt this mounting excitement. The other threads are jumpin because there are more kids to talk to.

That said, it looks like Davis would offer a really nice and relaxing atmosphere (city not law school)

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:46 am

^ Well, when you put it like that, I feel kind of special. :mrgreen:

I've never been there, so someone talk about it.

The only place I've been to in NorCal is San Fran... and in the city (union square area).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:48 am

Ginger123 wrote:I think the thing that has been annoying is that Davis has only admitted a handful of TLSers so there isnt this mounting excitement. The other threads are jumpin because there are more kids to talk to.

That said, it looks like Davis would offer a really nice and relaxing atmosphere (city not law school)
It's funny that it seems like most people have heard from Hastings but not Davis. For me it was the exact opposite; I heard waaayy early from Davis and haven't heard from Hastings yet, despite applying to both in November. But you're right, once more people hear a decision this thread will probably heat up.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:48 am

emilyk wrote:^ Well, when you put it like that, I feel kind of special. :mrgreen:

I've never been there, so someone talk about it.

The only place I've been to in NorCal is San Fran... and in the city (union square area).
I was born and raised in NorCal, so let me know if you have questions.

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:52 am

I'm looking at Wiki.
Davis is well known in the state of California as being a socially and environmentally conscious university, bike, and railroad town, home to the University of California, Davis. In 2006, Davis was ranked as the second most educated city (in terms of the percentage of residents with graduate degrees) in the United States by CNN Money Magazine, after Arlington, Virginia.
Man, I think it looks like a great place... but with my SO not having gotten invited for an interview, chances are slim. Anyone happen to know if there are any biotech firms in that area? (He's a biochem phd... industry work is his back up if he doesn't get into med school)...?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:53 am

http://www.daviswiki.org seems to have EVERYTHING you need to know about the town.

To me it seems great to be close to Sacramento (for us pubic interest law types), an hour from SF (the shopping!), 30 mins to wine country and a 1 hr flight home to LA to see the family.

That, and 1 bedrooms for 900-1100 is just about what I pay now so that would be great. Oh and its a pretty dog friendly city.

The law school is small (like 580 students total) but since Davis has med, vet, and mba schools too there are lots of other grad students you could interact with (which is good for late 20s like moi). And it has all the resources of a ginormo UC (unlike Hastings).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:57 am

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:59 am

emilyk wrote:I'm looking at Wiki.
Davis is well known in the state of California as being a socially and environmentally conscious university, bike, and railroad town, home to the University of California, Davis. In 2006, Davis was ranked as the second most educated city (in terms of the percentage of residents with graduate degrees) in the United States by CNN Money Magazine, after Arlington, Virginia.
Man, I think it looks like a great place... but with my SO not having gotten invited for an interview, chances are slim. Anyone happen to know if there are any biotech firms in that area? (He's a biochem phd... industry work is his back up if he doesn't get into med school)...?
Actually, I do know a bit about biotech. In Davis...not so much. There's not really anything other other than the university and some shops/restaurants/co-ops, etc. Sacramento has a few biotech companies, but nothing like you would see in the Bay, Seattle or San Diego. If your SO wants a nice biotech job, he's almost certainly going to need to go to the Bay Area. The commute would be reasonable if you guys lived somewhere in between Davis and SF, like Fairfield, but living there would takes some of the fun out of it, cause it's definitely not a happening place.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 am

The Nugget is the Whole Foods equivalent. Plus there is a huge co-op and a farmers market.

Oh God did I really say "pubic interest"?

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 am

BioLaw wrote:
emilyk wrote:I'm looking at Wiki.
Actually, I do know a bit about biotech. In Davis...not so much. There's not really anything other other than the university and some shops/restaurants/co-ops, etc. Sacramento has a few biotech companies, but nothing like you would see in the Bay, Seattle or San Diego. If your SO wants a nice biotech job, he's almost certainly going to need to go to the Bay Area. The commute would be reasonable if you guys lived somewhere in between Davis and SF, like Fairfield, but living there would takes some of the fun out of it, cause it's definitely not a happening place.
Is uc Davis itself into biochem heavily... I wonder if a postdoc there would be a possibility... hmmm......

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:02 am

Ginger123 wrote:The Nugget is the Whole Foods equivalent. Plus there is a huge co-op and a farmers market.

Oh God did I really say "pubic interest"?
You did. I was going to comment. :mrgreen: That little typing error never fails to crack me up.

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:04 am

Last edited by brizz9 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:05 am

I want to quote you so bad right now.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 am

I dont get it brizz, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 am

Ginger123 wrote:I dont get it brizz, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I don't know. I took it as a good sign until I looked at the status checker and it is still "awaiting evaluation."

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:08 am

I think Davis is respectable in biochem. It's not Berkeley or UCSF, but it should have a decent program. Postdoc is a solid idea, although the pay sucks.

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 am

BioLaw wrote:I think Davis is respectable in biochem. It's not Berkeley or UCSF, but it should have a decent program. Postdoc is a solid idea, although the pay sucks.
Yeah.. it would just be temporary until he goes to law school.

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:14 am

emilyk wrote:I want to quote you so bad right now.
Thank you for resisting the temptation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:17 am

emilyk wrote:
BioLaw wrote:I think Davis is respectable in biochem. It's not Berkeley or UCSF, but it should have a decent program. Postdoc is a solid idea, although the pay sucks.
Yeah.. it would just be temporary until he goes to law school.
Patent law? With a PhD, that'll more than make up for a crappy post doc salary for a year or two. Just don't tell the professors he applies to that he wants to go to law school.

J_

New

Post by J_ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:44 am

Ginger123 wrote:Oh God did I really say "pubic interest"?
--LinkRemoved--
Yes, the wiki DOES have everything!

In seriousness, judging by last year's LSN graphs, a lot of activity should be happening over the next 30 days or so, so I haven't yet given up hope.

app1234

New

Post by app1234 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:55 am

Hi all,
new to this site...

i was just wondering the stages of the status checker for those that are 'in line' ahead of me or who have already been accepted.

i went complete on 1/22 and my status says 'application complete-awaiting evaluation'. does anyone know if this is the last stage before i have an answer? also, i assume they email you when you are accepted/rejected?

ps i went to davis for undergrad, so if anyone has davis-related questions, i'd be happy to answer.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 pm

last stage is evaluation in progress

theres no email notification of when the status checker changes. you just have to check it every day

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”