LOC from Senator? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lawschoolgal89

New

LOC from Senator?

Post by Lawschoolgal89 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 am

I'm currently waitlisted at my very top choice school in the top 5. My boss, a high ranking Senator, offered to write me a letter or make a phone call to the dean of admissions. I didn't have her write my letter initially, because she isn't my direct supervisor and so I thought it would be more useful to get a letter from someone with whom I worked more closely. Do you think this would make any difference? My boss is a lawyer but isn't a graduate of the school I hope to attend. I don't want to waste the Senator's time working on this if you all think it won't help. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!!

twenty

Gold

Re: LOC from Senator?

Post by twenty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am

I'd go for it as long as he/she can speak to your qualifications well enough.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am

If the senator volunteered to write it then she may write an enthusiastic note. That would be beneficial. Otherwise, it would have some "wow" factor but may not actually help if there are truly better candidates.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm

I don't understand what you're asking. How are any of us supposed to know whether it will be worth their time? We're not fortune tellers. Odds of getting in off the wait list at top schools, though, seem low. If this "high ranking senator" is just up and offering to throw her weight around for you, then I don't really see what you would be losing by taking her up on it...would it mean squandering any goodwill? Not really a decision you can put to committee, use your best judgement...at this point if the dean finds your appeal to connections obnoxious rather than impressive it probably won't effect the final outcome anyway. If you don't do it, you'll wonder if it would have changed anything...if you do it you won't have that problem. Good luck.

ETA: I don't know if you'd actually be wasting much of her time, if this is what is holding you back, meaning that she may have a basic letter on hand that just gets plugged in with new information.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 pm

if this is yale, they specifically ask that you not do this, as they do not find any recs from non-academics particularly helpful. just fyi.

doge

New

Post by doge » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:19 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Letters from public figures can be great if they can really speak to your professional or academic abilities. A form letter is not going to help at all. That said, I've heard mixed things from top schools as far as the wait-list process goes with additional letters of recommendation. Some schools have said yes, they're helpful; others have said they don't really make a difference at this point. I think if your boss knows you well and can really describe your abilities, absolutely go for it! But make sure to brief your boss on what you need to convey to the AdComms at this point, whether a further testament to your analytical abilities, your interpersonal skills, etc.

Good luck!
Speaking to the above point, I have heard that many admissions offices handle waitlists as plugging holes in their admitted classes. I don't think a Letter of Recommendation would hurt, but it might not necessarily increase your chances if they are looking to fill in diversity holes that admitted students left when they declined to attend. However, if the good Senator's letter can shed some additional light on things about you or your personality that is not directly mentioned in your resume, it could highlight the right thing the school could want for their newly admitted class.

GL!

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Are we talking state senator or Capitol Hill senator?

Lawschoolgal89

New

Post by Lawschoolgal89 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:Are we talking state senator or Capitol Hill senator?
US Senator

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”