Newbie to "Why X" essays and LOCI - clarification needed Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BetterLateThanNever1

New

Newbie to "Why X" essays and LOCI - clarification needed

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi all. So for some brief background:
- 3.76 LSDAS GPA
- 163 LSAT
- strong softs (CPA, 1 year at PwC, Master's in Accounting, online startups with high revenues)
- 13 apps submitted (all sent between 1/9-1/20)
- 3 responses so far (Miami, Cardozo, Southern California accepted)

I keep seeing references to a "Why Penn/Columbia/etc." essay and I'm getting nervous I missed something.

Were these "Why X" essays supposed to be included with my initial app (for Penn, I chose a different optional essay than Why Penn)?

Are these something I should complete and send in now as an addendum to my outstanding apps?

And finally, what is a LOCI (continued interest I'm guessing), when is it appropriate, and what are the contents?

Thanks for all your help!

isuperserial

Silver

Re: Newbie to "Why X" essays and LOCI - clarification needed

Post by isuperserial » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:36 pm

BetterLateThanNever1 wrote:Hi all. So for some brief background:
- 3.76 LSDAS GPA
- 163 LSAT
- strong softs (CPA, 1 year at PwC, Master's in Accounting, online startups with high revenues)
- 13 apps submitted (all sent between 1/9-1/20)
- 3 responses so far (Miami, Cardozo, Southern California accepted)

I keep seeing references to a "Why Penn/Columbia/etc." essay and I'm getting nervous I missed something.

Were these "Why X" essays supposed to be included with my initial app (for Penn, I chose a different optional essay than Why Penn)?

Are these something I should complete and send in now as an addendum to my outstanding apps?

And finally, what is a LOCI (continued interest I'm guessing), when is it appropriate, and what are the contents?

Thanks for all your help!
Why X essays are not required in most cases. For some schools however, (Michigan, Notre Dame) it's highly recommended. It's also recommended if you're a borderline candidate, or just want an extra slight edge in admissions.

If you feel like you want to send in a Why X essay after your app is in, you'll have to talk to someone else about what the protocol is on that. It probably wouldn't hurt your app.

LOCI is commonly sent in after you get waitlisted. It's your chance to express your continued interest and make grand gestures of love for the school like, "if I'm accepted, I will immediately withdraw all other apps and write you a personal song." Feel free to do a search for other LOCI examples to give you an idea, but the general gist is to just express your continued interest and give them updates on your classes or your job or various accomplishments.

BetterLateThanNever1

New

Re: Newbie to "Why X" essays and LOCI - clarification needed

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 am

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”