St. John's video interview Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gb18

New

St. John's video interview

Post by Gb18 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm

I received an e-mail yesterday inviting me to complete a pre-recorded video interview. It says that I will be asked 5 questions, my answers will be recorded and then later reviewed by the admissions committee during the review of my application. I cannot find anything anywhere about St. John’s and any type of interviews. Their admissions website even says they do not offer interviews.

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Has anyone ever completed this? Any idea what kind of questions they may ask? Thanks!

californiauser

Silver

Re: St. John's video interview

Post by californiauser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Gb18 wrote:I received an e-mail yesterday inviting me to complete a pre-recorded video interview. It says that I will be asked 5 questions, my answers will be recorded and then later reviewed by the admissions committee during the review of my application. I cannot find anything anywhere about St. John’s and any type of interviews. Their admissions website even says they do not offer interviews.

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Has anyone ever completed this? Any idea what kind of questions they may ask? Thanks!
It's probably to guage your interest in the law school. St. Johns is in no position to be turning down qualified applicants. I doubt it's worth stressing over.

Lawgirl7890

New

Post by Lawgirl7890 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 am

hi I recieved the same thing. I actually met with one of the assistant drector of admissions for an interview. She loved me. my grades were low and so was my gpa. however she invited me to take this 6 week conditional program in the summer time she told me to email her all my info to her once i finished the paralegal program i was in and submit it to her tht way i can get into the conditional program. basically it is a program that is 6 weeks looks and your acceptance is contingent on your performance durning that 6 week course 2.5 or better you automatically get in. You can not ask to be put in this program you have to be invitied. 40 people are selected. the way they choose their applicants for this program is if they went through economic hardships, minority etc. now im hoping this video interview isnt like a step into a recommendation or an invitation to this program. i hope they just ask us questions bc they like us but cant have solid reasons to pick us. i hope if i do the interview and i do well that i get or /waitlisted hopefully not for the 6 week program because i already spoke to the lady about this

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 am

So basically St. Johns is lowering the acceptance standard even further below the point of hilarity it once resided at and is now conducting interviews to make sure that the candidates it accepts aren't actually drooling on themselves (because that might further embarrass the school). Is this sort of the gist of what's going on here?

A better use of your money would be in Brooklyn. Not the law school, the bridge connecting lower manhattan and downtown Brooklyn. Its for sale and I can get you in on the ground floor. Message me.

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:05 am

reasonable_man wrote:So basically St. Johns is lowering the acceptance standard even further below the point of hilarity it once resided at and is now conducting interviews to make sure that the candidates it accepts aren't actually drooling on themselves (because that might further embarrass the school). Is this sort of the gist of what's going on here?

A better use of your money would be in Brooklyn. Not the law school, the bridge connecting lower manhattan and downtown Brooklyn. Its for sale and I can get you in on the ground floor. Message me.
Post of 2014

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am

Actually I also got the email about the interview and completed it, now just waiting to hear back.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 pm

kris4842 wrote:Actually I also got the email about the interview and completed it, now just waiting to hear back.

Seriously though - God Help you.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:58 pm

I have an acquaintance at my undergrad whose dad apparently teaches at St. John's.

I told him I was applying to law school.

Guy: "Where are you thinking?"
Me: "Throwing an app out at Columbia, let's see what happens."
Guy: "Why don't you apply to St. John's?"
Me: "Oh?"
Guy: "Yeah, my dad works there! Great school. He'll write you a recommendation!"
Me: "I have to be honest, I've never heard of it."
Guy: "What do you mean, you haven't heard of it? It's one of the top schools! Everyone there is pretty much guaranteed a job. They have connections with all the best firms in New York City!"
Me: "Never heard of it."

Just my little anecdote. I had a chuckle afterwards.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 am

patfeeney wrote:I have an acquaintance at my undergrad whose dad apparently teaches at St. John's.

I told him I was applying to law school.

Guy: "Where are you thinking?"
Me: "Throwing an app out at Columbia, let's see what happens."
Guy: "Why don't you apply to St. John's?"
Me: "Oh?"
Guy: "Yeah, my dad works there! Great school. He'll write you a recommendation!"
Me: "I have to be honest, I've never heard of it."
Guy: "What do you mean, you haven't heard of it? It's one of the top schools! Everyone there is pretty much guaranteed a job. They have connections with all the best firms in New York City!"
Me: "Never heard of it."

Just my little anecdote. I had a chuckle afterwards.

Honestly - 20 to 25 years ago, there was some truth to this. SJU was pretty well represented at the lower tier firms. However, the school has seriously fallen off and frankly, the career services at the school have done nothing to keep up relationships with employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:09 am

reasonable_man wrote: Honestly - 20 to 25 years ago, there was some truth to this. SJU was pretty well represented at the lower tier firms. However, the school has seriously fallen off and frankly, the career services at the school have done nothing to keep up relationships with employers.

I just think it's funny whenever I talk to someone who is planning to attend law school and they say things that indicate they know nothing about the legal profession. I've had numerous classmates tell me their Columbia law professor dad has connections in the school and can totally write me a letter of recommendation. Yes, I'd ask a guy I never met and frankly didn't know existed until a minute ago to represent me to the adcomms.

Also, everyone seems to think that every school is a great school. You name it, they say "That's a top school!" It's like I live in a little Twilight zone where my advisers tell me going to a T14 school is a waste of money and TTT is the way to go (I've also heard this many times).

Not to say St. John's is bad. Just relating it to one of my more humorous discussions about admissions.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:10 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
kris4842 wrote:Actually I also got the email about the interview and completed it, now just waiting to hear back.

May I ask why you say that?

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:15 pm

kris4842 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

It's at 98, tied with four other regional schools (one in the midst of a scandal). Some would argue to never waste three years going to a school with that poor of an outlook. Many would argue that without scholarships to never even consider spending sticker at St. John's. It's an oversaturated market that many top schools feed into. It's crazy that they would conduct video interviews, when median+ applicants could attend other local universities better ranked and at a similar price. You would think they would be making the process more streamlined to influence better numbers to attend.

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Yeah, making people jump through hoops/interviewing for anything sub-top 25 is ridiculous/bordering on insulting to the applicant.

Just one man's opinion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

katinka234

New

Post by katinka234 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Out of curiosity, did anyone get into St. John's this cycle?

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Yeah, making people jump through hoops/interviewing for anything sub-top 25 is ridiculous/bordering on insulting to the applicant.

Just one man's opinion.
I'd have to agree....a video interview just for admittance to a tier 2/3 law school? Seems kind of ridiculous.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 am

kris4842 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Because I'm a practicing attorney since 08' and I KNOW that the chance of a good outcome from SJU is incredibly small.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 am

Ok thank you for your advice, I may be one of the few ones who does not need a job after law school. I already have a job where I will stay after so that wont be a factor in my decision and St Johns has always been my number #1 choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 am

kris4842 wrote:Ok thank you for your advice, I may be one of the few ones who does not need a job after law school. I already have a job where I will stay after so that wont be a factor in my decision and St Johns has always been my number #1 choice.
So you are going to spend a ton of money and 3 years of your life for what reason?
Last edited by reasonable_man on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 am

katinka234 wrote:Out of curiosity, did anyone get into St. John's this cycle?
I got in. Got a full scholarship as well. A relative of mine went there in 07, and is of counsel now at DLA piper. It's not my first choice, but free law school is definitely a +
Last edited by Yanky91 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 am

kris4842 wrote:Ok thank you for your advice, I may be one of the few ones who does not need a job after law school. I already have a job where I will stay after so that wont be a factor in my decision and St Johns has always been my number #1 choice.
Gotta say that I like your outlook. Most here won't.

I certainly don't share your opinion, however. I want to be a lawyer.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:01 am

Oh no, I want to be a Lawyer also, It just happens to be that I have a job that normally a lawyer would have and I need the law degree to go further so trust me Im with you. Is everyone else's status checker down?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 am

The only variable here is... what are your numbers, people that are considering St. Johns?

Agreed that going to a school ranked that low is a bad idea, especially at cost or even half-cost, unless you have a guaranteed great job lined up that requires a legal degree after graduation.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:22 am

Go to St. Johns and have this experience:

-near top of class, no one cares.

I don't go to St. Johns. I would rather not go to law school.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:34 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Go to St. Johns and have this experience:

I have no idea what that means

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:36 pm

kris4842 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Go to St. Johns and have this experience:

I have no idea what that means
:lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”