St. John's video interview Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jarofsoup

Gold

Re: St. John's video interview

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 am

kris4842 wrote:Back to the original post topic and enough with giving out your opinions. Thank you for your advice but some of us have our own reasons for going to St Johns so please stay out of this forum. Again no one is asking your opinion about this school. So has anyone else received an interview and has anyone heard back?
No. I will not stay out of this forum. But you have to realize that this program is an exploitative program. Law schools are generally not altruistic. They need money and if they see an enrollment gap they can give admissions to some students that should not be admitted to law school. Then charge them full tuition and get money from loans. Being a private school makes this practice even more suspect.

I apologize if my writing is unclear. But I do not care enough about this to proof read.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Everyone has expressed their views. After a certain point, redundancy is going to weaken the message you're trying to convey.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:So let me see if I can follow the logic here. If someone wants to go to law school that means that they have to go to law school, even if that decision requires a quarter of a million dollar investment and little to no hope that the investment will pay off? Lets assume that 10% of SJU grads earn spots at a biglaw firm (which is not reality - and does not happen), but lets pretend for a minute that there is some truth to this "statistic" and 10% of SJU grads earn a spot in biglaw.

First, what happens to the other 90% of the graduates?

Second, do you think that it is remotely likely that someone who is trying to scrape their way into SJU by attending some ridiculous prep course and/or being forced to "interview" is going to be anywhere near the top 10% of the class?

Third, will you at least concede that at least 40 to 50 % of students that attend SJU will be jobless at graduation and that the 40% employed in non-biglaw are mostly working in PI / ID mills for 40 to 55k per year (trying to service tremendous loans)?

What you don't get is that I have no horse in this race. I'm good brother. I earn a nice living in a really good firm. I'd love for that to be the reality for all law grads. But its not and I've seen up close how ugly it can be for those that do not get lucky. And believe me, while I worked like an animal to get where I am, I'm not vein enough to think that luck did not play a substantial role in my getting to where I am today. So the real question is: Why are you trying to defend SJU? What horse do you have in the race? Is this all to help you feel better about choosing another similarly low ranked school?
1) No one has to go to law school. People choose to go to law school. If someone wants to go to law school and chooses to take out a lot of loans to do so, then that is their decision. If they ask your opinion on the matter then by all means give it. However, no one asked your opinion. 2) You never know. The interview could be for a lot reasons, but I am sure there are people who did poorly on the LSAT and went on to do very well in law school (I know someone in particular who did this). 3) I will concede that half of the class is going to be unemployed upon graduation. However, I think the median salary for those employed in private practice is closer to 75k. SJU gives a lot of scholarship money, so I do not know how many of those employed are trying to "service tremendous loans". Lastly, I think you were making this school sound a lot worse than it really is, and you were being rude in the process. I came on to answer a question directed at me. Then I clarified what someone said, because it was unclear. I applied and got accepted to higher ranked schools. I only applied to SJU because my family is from Queens, and I knew I would get a full scholarship. I defended SJU because, as i said before, you are really making it sound a lot worse than it is. In addition, this is on the wrong thread. If the people asked you what you thought about employment prospects etc. from SJU, then you should give your opinion. This is the wrong place though. Obviously these people were not looking for you to give them advice on whether to go or not. That is what I meant by "shitting on their dreams of becoming a lawyer". You are not crushing them, you are just insulting them at this point. There is no need for this. There are tons of threads that discuss the risks involved with paying sticker at lower ranked schools. Keep in mind, A) you don't know these people, and B) you don't know their financial situations, LSAT scores, GPA's, scholarship offers, or any other relevant data (mostly because you're on the wrong freaking thread!!!).
Bro, there is no reason to go on here. I get it. There is risk involved with going SJU. I knew this long before your, off topic, posts.

-*this is in response to your earlier post: My knowledge of the way firms work is pretty irrelevant. The relevant fact is that he is employed, and does well for himself, despite being far from the top 10% at SJU (whether he becomes partner or not). I only brought this up, not to say that everyone gets employed, or that SJU is great, but to point out that graduating in the top 10% of your class probably means something, even from a place like SJU. I'm not saying it definitely means you will get employed. I'm simply saying it is impressive, and there will be law firms that think it is impressive too. Top 10% will really up your chances of getting a good job, and it will not be a worthless certificate that reads summa cum laude.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

So, did the OP send his video interview?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:33 pm

If St. John's is the best law school you can get into, do not go to law school. You will probably regret it for the rest of your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 pm

As one of those guilty of thread-derailing, I will suggest that we all shift the off-topic part of this conversation here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=223749

Carry on.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

New idea: just bow out of this argument and let dude attend St. John's. A TLS debate is obviously not going to change his mind. And with all the facts and evidence now at his fingertips, any decision from here on out is completely on him. My only wish is that he'll return to this thread in three years to update us on his progress.

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 pm

beachbum wrote:New idea: just bow out of this argument and let dude attend St. John's. A TLS debate is obviously not going to change his mind. And with all the facts and evidence now at his fingertips, any decision from here on out is completely on him. My only wish is that he'll return to this thread in three years to update us on his progress.
Assuming the user will still be able to afford a computer at that point :/

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 pm

LyricsToLitigation wrote:
beachbum wrote:New idea: just bow out of this argument and let dude attend St. John's. A TLS debate is obviously not going to change his mind. And with all the facts and evidence now at his fingertips, any decision from here on out is completely on him. My only wish is that he'll return to this thread in three years to update us on his progress.
Assuming the user will still be able to afford a computer at that point :/
User may be able to use one in a public library. But since he will no longer be a student at St. John's he will not be able to use the computer at St. John's library. Life is rough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Good luck SJU class of 2017; may you fare better than those that have passed before you.

Lawgirl7890

New

Post by Lawgirl7890 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 pm

by chance did u receive an answer from st johns since you applied in october?

Lawgirl7890

New

Post by Lawgirl7890 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:48 pm

Gb18 wrote:I received an e-mail yesterday inviting me to complete a pre-recorded video interview. It says that I will be asked 5 questions, my answers will be recorded and then later reviewed by the admissions committee during the review of my application. I cannot find anything anywhere about St. John’s and any type of interviews. Their admissions website even says they do not offer interviews.

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Has anyone ever completed this? Any idea what kind of questions they may ask? Thanks!
did you ever receive an answer from st johns ?

Well didnt you send you application in october? and they still have not even responded?
Last edited by Lawgirl7890 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Not sure if you were asking me but I have not heard back from them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

indwes

New

Post by indwes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

What were the five video interview questions for St. John's University?

vlshort3955

New

Post by vlshort3955 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:04 pm

That escalated quickly.

I did a video interview-
When you download the video app, or check out the video interview site, its going to let you hear the question, and then you can take all the time you want before you answer it. Also, after you record your answer, you can play it back and make sure you like it, if you don't like it, you can re-record. So it's not that big of a deal.

slickerdude

New

Post by slickerdude » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:14 am

vlshort3955 wrote:That escalated quickly.

I did a video interview-
When you download the video app, or check out the video interview site, its going to let you hear the question, and then you can take all the time you want before you answer it. Also, after you record your answer, you can play it back and make sure you like it, if you don't like it, you can re-record. So it's not that big of a deal.

I am going to be doing my interview in 2 or 3 days. I have been stressing because I was under the assumption that we only have one shot to answer with no preparation to the questions asked. so in your experience we can re-do the answer? do you remember any of the questions they asked? any info is much appreciated thanks!

Prospective1L

New

Post by Prospective1L » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Can anybody tell me what the 5 questions that will be asked during the recorded interview are? I'm usually pretty good at interviewing, but it would definitely help if I knew which questions would be asked so that I can sharpen my responses.

Any answers (specifically to my question) would be much appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wbrem

New

Post by Wbrem » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 am

I don't remember the questions because I actually forgot to do the interview completely. You get to look them over before you practice though. And if it makes anyone feel better I still got accepted with a sizeable scholarship even after forgetting to do the interview.

slickerdude

New

Post by slickerdude » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

any information at all would be helpful. anyone remember the 5 questions that were asked??

dcoppo01

New

Post by dcoppo01 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I didn't do it and was accepted, $40,000. I will not be attending.

slickerdude

New

Post by slickerdude » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:03 pm

1. why do you want to go to law school?
2. have you thought about what type of law you would like to practice?
3. what was the most rewarding class at your undergraduate institution?
4. can you tell me about a time that you had to overcome a challenge?
5. tell me about yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:52 pm

dcoppo01 wrote:I didn't do it and was accepted, $40,000. I will not be attending.

TITCR

Lawgirl7890

New

Post by Lawgirl7890 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I didnt get accepted for the regular admission but they said tehy will review my application for the summer institute

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 am

Lawgirl7890 wrote:I didnt get accepted for the regular admission but they said tehy will review my application for the summer institute
Good lord - what does that even mean?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sat May 17, 2014 8:51 pm

I applied there, but chose not to attend. If I recall correctly, it is for students who have signs that they will struggle in law school. I think it is like a form of remedial law class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”