OSU Moritz c/o 2017 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mach9zero

Bronze

Re: OSU Moritz c/o 2017

Post by mach9zero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:does anybody think that I can negotiate my 15k a year diversity enrichment to at least 25k a year?
158/3.82
None of us could tell you for sure, it's worth maybe waiting two weeks until most scholarship offers are out, then sending you're letter. It could never hurt. I wouldn't request a specific amount, just alternate programs you're looking at, and why OSU seems like a great fit for you.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm

perhaps I could negotiate to receive an in state equalizer

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Osu is looking like my first choice right now. Does anyone know anything about housing?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:Osu is looking like my first choice right now. Does anyone know anything about housing?
Give us a bit more to go off of. What type of environment are you looking for? You could get a house on Chittenden, an apartment in the Gateway, an apartment in the Short North, or stay out in Grandview. All are fine options depending on your preferences.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 am

Mitchellcar wrote:Osu is looking like my first choice right now. Does anyone know anything about housing?
Many OSU grad students live in Victorian village. I would look there, grandview, the short north, German village, Italian village. I wouldn't stay in gateway, I've heard it's overpriced for what you get.

But yeah, what are you looking for? Apartment? House? Do you want urban style living or more suburban quiet surroundings. One great thing about Columbus is there are tons of different styles of living all within a 5-10 minute drive of OSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:09 am

Many OSU grad students live in Victorian village. I would look there, grandview, the short north, German village, Italian village. I wouldn't stay in gateway, I've heard it's overpriced for what you get.

But yeah, what are you looking for? Apartment? House? Do you want urban style living or more suburban quiet surroundings. One great thing about Columbus is there are tons of different styles of living all within a 5-10 minute drive of OSU.[/quote]

Thanks i will have to look at each of them more closely. I'm basically looking for cheapest option for my girlfriend and I but it still needs to be fairly close (5-10 min). I just wanted to get a basic sense of what people prefer.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:16 am

Mitchellcar wrote:Many OSU grad students live in Victorian village. I would look there, grandview, the short north, German village, Italian village. I wouldn't stay in gateway, I've heard it's overpriced for what you get.

But yeah, what are you looking for? Apartment? House? Do you want urban style living or more suburban quiet surroundings. One great thing about Columbus is there are tons of different styles of living all within a 5-10 minute drive of OSU.
Thanks i will have to look at each of them more closely. I'm basically looking for cheapest option for my girlfriend and I but it still needs to be fairly close (5-10 min). I just wanted to get a basic sense of what people prefer.[/quote]

The Short North will be your most expensive area. I would take a look at Italian Village and Grandview if you want to find something somewhat reasonable. What's your budget? What size? There is a wide array of options available in Columbus, I'm sure you will find something that fits.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:45 am

Mitchellcar wrote:
Thanks i will have to look at each of them more closely. I'm basically looking for cheapest option for my girlfriend and I but it still needs to be fairly close (5-10 min). I just wanted to get a basic sense of what people prefer.

Gateway is overpriced. Look at the Short North below 5th Ave or Victorian Village (Sonnenblick is nice, though I've heard the new management isn't as good as the old).

You could even look downtown or German Village if you're willing to be a 10-15 minute drive (on city streets) away.

Harrison West is also a great neighborhood and really close to campus. You really want to visit, though, as neighborhoods switch from really nice to really sketch pretty quickly.

A good rule of thumb re prices is that $1 per sq. foot is a top-end threshold. You should be able to find a good place in a decent neighborhood for less.

brrrrcat

New

Post by brrrrcat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for the housing advice. How is the bus system on/around campus? I'd prefer not to pay for parking on campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 am

brrrrcat wrote:Thanks for the housing advice. How is the bus system on/around campus? I'd prefer not to pay for parking on campus.
As an OSU student, you have "free" (included in your fees) access to the Columbus city buses. Since the law school is right on High Street, a handful of buses have stops nearby. They're pretty good for the most part, but you'll want to leave plenty of time, particularly if the weather is bad. People who live in the Short North and Victorian Village sometimes take the bus. Just googlemaps the public transit route to school when considering a place.

There are campus buses, too, but I've never used them.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 am

brrrrcat wrote:Thanks for the housing advice. How is the bus system on/around campus? I'd prefer not to pay for parking on campus.
Biking is not a bad option either. Columbus is very flat, and is usually considered pretty friendly to bikers. Most of the areas we suggested would be in biking distance. Obviously this is not a Winter option :)

brrrrcat

New

Post by brrrrcat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks LWoods and Lawsschool22! One more question.. Is finding an apartment in Columbus like normal cities where it's best to wait until 4-6 weeks before move in to find a lease or is it more like a college town where the best apartments have been leased for next year since this past October?

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:31 am

I'll have an hour commute each way. Le sigh. At least SoCal has prepared me for this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:32 am

has anybody had success in negotiations?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

brrrrcat wrote:Thanks LWoods and Lawsschool22! One more question.. Is finding an apartment in Columbus like normal cities where it's best to wait until 4-6 weeks before move in to find a lease or is it more like a college town where the best apartments have been leased for next year since this past October?
It's somewhere in between I think. It would be hard to find any that are available now, because a lot of landlords won't know their availability until a few months out. But usually 2-3 months out is a good time frame to start your search and get in contact w/ some property management companies. There will still be plenty available at that point, but it's not so early that they don't know what will be vacant for your move-in date.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 am

Decimus wrote:I'll have an hour commute each way. Le sigh. At least SoCal has prepared me for this!
Dang where are you living? I assume relatives or something?

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Decimus wrote:I'll have an hour commute each way. Le sigh. At least SoCal has prepared me for this!
Yes, both my wife and I are from the Mansfield area. That was the driving force in bringing us back to OH. So, long commutes but (due to a long complicated story) we'll have a house to use rent free. I think that equation balances, especially if we can manage to commute together.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:46 am

itachiuchiha wrote:has anybody had success in negotiations?
I think I remember reading on a previous year's thread that they have a non-negotiation policy.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:51 am

Decimus wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Yes, both my wife and I are from the Mansfield area. That was the driving force in bringing us back to OH. So, long commutes but (due to a long complicated story) we'll have a house to use rent free. I think that equation balances, especially if we can manage to commute together.
Definitely worth it as far as the finances are concerned. That long of a commute Columbus is actually easier than the long commutes in cities like LA, psychologically. Because while it's the same amount of time, with your commute you will actually be moving at a good speed the whole time. This makes it a lot easier!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 am

brrrrcat wrote:Thanks LWoods and Lawsschool22! One more question.. Is finding an apartment in Columbus like normal cities where it's best to wait until 4-6 weeks before move in to find a lease or is it more like a college town where the best apartments have been leased for next year since this past October?
You'll be able to find places. My landlord told me when I was looking that people are either looking to move in in 2 months or 2 days.

There are enough young professionals who live in the Short North, Victorian Village, and Harrison West neighborhoods that it's more like a normal city than a college town. Luckily the law school is on the Southern edge of campus, so you can easily live in those normal neighborhoods instead of campus / frat row.

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:54 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Decimus wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Definitely worth it as far as the finances are concerned. That long of a commute Columbus is actually easier than the long commutes in cities like LA, psychologically. Because while it's the same amount of time, with your commute you will actually be moving at a good speed the whole time. This makes it a lot easier!
I cry a little bit every time I have to drive S-N/N-S across LA. Usually I freak out around Anaheim and stop to eat a steak and fume a little.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm

so... is OSU worth attending if I am paying a total of $75k over 3 years? I am doubting it!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:so... is OSU worth attending if I am paying a total of $75k over 3 years? I am doubting it!
What are your goals? Do you want to live and work in Columbus? That's not horrible if that is total COA.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:so... is OSU worth attending if I am paying a total of $75k over 3 years? I am doubting it!
What are your goals? Do you want to live and work in Columbus? That's not horrible if that is total COA.
lol, that's without COA. yeah I would live and work in columbus unless I get a job in Florida (I have ties here in So Flo). I think my better option is UF or FSU at in-state tuition (idk about any scholly yet), I could maybe use my $15k/year scholly at Moritz for UF negotiations.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:08 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
lol, that's without COA. yeah I would live and work in columbus unless I get a job in Florida (I have ties here in So Flo). I think my better option is UF or FSU at in-state tuition (idk about any scholly yet), I could maybe use my $15k/year scholly at Moritz for UF negotiations.
If you would rather live/work in Florida, do not go to OSU. And if that's just tuition you're underestimating the total cost. I would be worried about going to OSU for over $100k total COA (including interest).

Try to get OSU to increase your offer, then use that offer for UF negotiations.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”