Waitlisted at Duke c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Re: Waitlisted at Duke c/o 2016

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:Well Duke just called me to gauge my continued interest, and they said they'd probably accept a few more in the coming week. Nothing certain yet, but I get the feeling like I might be offered a spot. When I asked about the possibility of scholarship at this point, he said likely nothing available in merit scholarships, but they could provide something need-based.

If I do get an offer, I'll now have to decide:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Gonna go tear my hair out now...
Stats?

sinbadtsailor

New

Post by sinbadtsailor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
sinbadtsailor wrote:Well Duke just called me to gauge my continued interest, and they said they'd probably accept a few more in the coming week. Nothing certain yet, but I get the feeling like I might be offered a spot. When I asked about the possibility of scholarship at this point, he said likely nothing available in merit scholarships, but they could provide something need-based.

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Stats?

169/3.64 GPA - and I just received my acceptance email. No word on scholarships yet.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Stats?

169/3.64 GPA - and I just received my acceptance email. No word on scholarships yet.
Have you considered retaking?

sinbadtsailor

New

Post by sinbadtsailor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Stats?

Have you considered retaking?
Nein. Certainly not at this late date. But it was pretty representative of my practice tests, so the small chance of improving my score wasn't worth the stress.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

[UPDATE] - Just got a "You're In!" email!

Would love to get people's input on the above comparison between GULC and Duke.
Where do you want to work? If you want to work in DC Duke still places grads there really well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinbadtsailor

New

Post by sinbadtsailor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Travis12 wrote:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Where do you want to work? If you want to work in DC Duke still places grads there really well.
Thx. Ya, I could see myself in DC, but I'm not committed. I'm thinking that Georgetown offers better inroads to government work while Duke has the advantage for big law. Therefore, in my particular case, I'm leaning Duke. Gonna sit on it over the weekend.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:
Travis12 wrote:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

Thx. Ya, I could see myself in DC, but I'm not committed. I'm thinking that Georgetown offers better inroads to government work while Duke has the advantage for big law. Therefore, in my particular case, I'm leaning Duke. Gonna sit on it over the weekend.
The 12.5k/yr difference will be mitigated somewhat by the cheaper COL in Durham, yes? I would go Duke if I were you.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 am

IMO, Duke is definitely worth $12.5k/yr over GULC.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:15 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
sinbadtsailor wrote:
Travis12 wrote:

Georgetown @ 12.5k/yr
or
Duke @ ???

The 12.5k/yr difference will be mitigated somewhat by the cheaper COL in Durham, yes? I would go Duke if I were you.
This is a good point. I think as you mentioned before ( I think you mentioned before at least) the only reason you're weighing your options is because of the scholly at GULC. If you had the same COA at both schools it seems this choice would be easy, Duke. I am just not sure that 12.5K a year is a large enough weight to tip the scales. Either way both schools are great, it just seems to be your post grad options are better from Duke. But let us know what you decide I am interested! Duke is in my top 3!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zz888

New

Post by zz888 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 am

Hi guys just wanted to post an update. I sent duke my offer at USC - they didnt guve me any scholarship (not surprised) but i think im going to place a deposit still. Goodluck to everyone in this forum still waiting to hear!

sinbadtsailor

New

Post by sinbadtsailor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Travis12 wrote: This is a good point. I think as you mentioned before ( I think you mentioned before at least) the only reason you're weighing your options is because of the scholly at GULC. If you had the same COA at both schools it seems this choice would be easy, Duke. I am just not sure that 12.5K a year is a large enough weight to tip the scales. Either way both schools are great, it just seems to be your post grad options are better from Duke. But let us know what you decide I am interested! Duke is in my top 3!
Thanks so much for your input everyone. I suppose Duke just got rid of any indecision for me by actually beating GULC's offer. 16k/yr. I'm headed to Duke!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 pm

zz888 wrote:Hi guys just wanted to post an update. I sent duke my offer at USC - they didnt guve me any scholarship (not surprised) but i think im going to place a deposit still. Goodluck to everyone in this forum still waiting to hear!
sinbadtsailor wrote: Thanks so much for your input everyone. I suppose Duke just got rid of any indecision for me by actually beating GULC's offer. 16k/yr. I'm headed to Duke!
Congrats to both of you! :D

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:
Travis12 wrote: This is a good point. I think as you mentioned before ( I think you mentioned before at least) the only reason you're weighing your options is because of the scholly at GULC. If you had the same COA at both schools it seems this choice would be easy, Duke. I am just not sure that 12.5K a year is a large enough weight to tip the scales. Either way both schools are great, it just seems to be your post grad options are better from Duke. But let us know what you decide I am interested! Duke is in my top 3!
Thanks so much for your input everyone. I suppose Duke just got rid of any indecision for me by actually beating GULC's offer. 16k/yr. I'm headed to Duke!
Dude what a dream! That is awesome. Congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:44 pm

sinbadtsailor wrote:
Congrats dude!!

Err26

New

Post by Err26 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Err26 wrote:In off the waitlist today. Just got a "You're In!" Email, no phone call. No word on money yet but I'm guessing no chance with my numbers. I was on the regular wait list, not priority reserve. Message me for numbers, but I'm a reverse splitter. I was committed to W&M with a lot of money before, but 90% sure I'll be attending Duke now. Beyond ecstatic to be in at such a great school and best of luck to everyone else waiting!
Here's an update on my situation to anyone wondering: I was also holding a spot at WUSTL, so I used their unconditional $22k/yr scholarship to haggle with Duke, and Duke gave me $10k/yr (condition: good standing)! I am incredibly surprised and grateful that Duke gave me any money at all! Numbers: 163/3.8X. Non-URM. Just sent in my deposit today - I will be attending Duke Law in the fall! Couldn't have asked for a better outcome! :D

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 am

Err26 wrote:
Err26 wrote:In off the waitlist today. Just got a "You're In!" Email, no phone call. No word on money yet but I'm guessing no chance with my numbers. I was on the regular wait list, not priority reserve. Message me for numbers, but I'm a reverse splitter. I was committed to W&M with a lot of money before, but 90% sure I'll be attending Duke now. Beyond ecstatic to be in at such a great school and best of luck to everyone else waiting!
Here's an update on my situation to anyone wondering: I was also holding a spot at WUSTL, so I used their unconditional $22k/yr scholarship to haggle with Duke, and Duke gave me $10k/yr (condition: good standing)! I am incredibly surprised and grateful that Duke gave me any money at all! Numbers: 163/3.8X. Non-URM. Just sent in my deposit today - I will be attending Duke Law in the fall! Couldn't have asked for a better outcome! :D
That's awesome, congrats!

HelloWilly

New

Post by HelloWilly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am

Got accepted into Duke off the wait list! I received my acceptance through email yesterday. Don't know how much merit aid I am getting yet.

Before I had paid my deposit to attend Cornell. Cornell offered me 60k. I want to do big law in the southeast or in New York. I was raised in the southeast and went to a southern school for undergrad. So I already have ties to the southeast.

Any thoughts on how much $$ I should require from Duke to switch over from Cornell? Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smileee

New

Post by smileee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm

withdrew my acceptance today (with $)... hope this is good news for one of you!

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello all,

I just withdrew from the summer class. I will be attending Columbia. I do hope that opens a spot for one of you. Duke is fucking amazing, and I'm really sad to leave.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

I received a feeler email today asking for a time to talk on the phone. I withdrew from consideration. Hopefully someone on here gets a phone call instead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Any hope left at this point?

I really did want Duke....

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 am

Haven't heard anything in a looong time

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am

Last edited by racrfish on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:55 am

Update email this morning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”