admitted! chances of aid? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ms_lame_username

New

admitted! chances of aid?

Post by ms_lame_username » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Hello guys,

I just received my "admitted student" call last night. Came as a pleasant surprise because I have a below median LSAT (quite below admittedly), high GPA, but a very impressive resume. Also in need of $$$ considering my family's low income. I've received pretty good scholarship offers from schools in the top 25, but this is the highest ranked school I've been accepted to. Anyone here know the chances of me getting decent money and/or in-state rate for need-based purposes? Because with my splitter credentials I doubt I can get merit based aid like I did at other schools.

Any help would be appreciated! :D
Last edited by ms_lame_username on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mambar

New

Re: admitted! chances of aid?

Post by mambar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Last edited by mambar on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Any school name would be appreciated! :D
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

this is useless without knowing which school we're talking about

trolling?

ms_lame_username

New

Post by ms_lame_username » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Sorry!! I swear I'm not a troll....I thought I was posting under the U Texas forum! That's where I got accepted. And I've received scholarship offers from W&L and Minnesota.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

ms_lame_username wrote:Hello guys,

I just received my "admitted student" call last night. Came as a pleasant surprise because I have a below median LSAT (quite below admittedly), high GPA, but a very impressive resume. Also in need of $$$ considering my family's low income. I've received pretty good scholarship offers from schools in the top 25, but this is the highest ranked school I've been accepted to. Anyone here know the chances of me getting decent money and/or in-state rate for need-based purposes? Because with my splitter credentials I doubt I can get merit based aid like I did at other schools.

Any help would be appreciated! :D
Rob a bank? Embezzle? There are plenty of options for all of us aspiring lawyers out there.

ms_lame_username

New

Post by ms_lame_username » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:26 pm

New to this forum :oops: was I just supposed to "post a reply" to remain within the same thread?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Yes'm....looks like you hit "new topic" on accident. Happens all the time....carry on carry on.

ms_lame_username

New

Post by ms_lame_username » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks, so have any of you guys had luck with need-based aid from law schools? U Texas specifically? Besides this accidental post I will be searching through the Texas forum as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Going to law school and never posted on a forum before? :? I guess the two skills aren't necessarily related...

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Your chances of aid increase every time you do not use protection. :wink:

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Your chances of aid increase every time you do not use protection. :wink:

ms_lame_username

New

Post by ms_lame_username » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok, let's not respond to this topic any further as I see it's better I browse for the information myself. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm

ms_lame_username wrote:Ok, let's not respond to this topic any further as I see it's better I browse for the information myself. Thanks!
Oh man, I needed a good laugh

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Obviously, everyone is in the rat race for most $. no one wants heavy debt. However, I don't understand why people like the OP talk about their "parents low income" as a rationale for aid. no matter what your parents income was, it shouldn't make much of a difference since they shouldn't be paying for your law school tuition anyway -- unless you are VERY loaded. even if your parents made more money it wouldn't necessarily have a substantive impact on how much debt you had. My parents are well-off but going to law school is my decision as an adult and they have no financial role in it. so I hardly find the relationship compelling b/t a parents income and students' desire for aid, again besides the extremely spoiled (which has much more to do with family dynamics and personality than money).

#endingrant

anyway, good luck getting aid at UT! if you are in-state thats already a big discount. you could try to use UMN $ to negotiate and maybe they'll give you a portion of it.

hobie2515

New

Post by hobie2515 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote: My parents are well-off but going to law school is my decision as an adult and they have no financial role in it.
I get what you're saying and to some extent you're right. However the big difference for some is the safety net. If SHTF in both circumstances, someone with well-to-do parents can support them enough to where they aren't in dire straits. Someone from the other side of the tracks might be completely on their own.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 pm

As a poor, I agree that since the federal govt basically ensures that any us citizen can take out loans regardless of their financial security, it shouldn't matter.

I also think that money buys opportunities that don't stop paying dividends once you leave the household. So if a bleak financial situation works as an added soft in regards to "need based" scholarships, I am not completely against the idea.

As for HYS, I don't like it but it was a big reason I wanted to be admitted there. I woulda got bank.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”