In at Yale: Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hdivine

New

Re: In at Yale: Class of 2016

Post by hdivine » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

edamame wrote:
hdivine wrote:
edamame wrote:Edit: Registered to stay with a current student. Can't wait to meet you all!
Let us know if you hear anything. A few of us registered to stay with a current student but haven't heard anything back yet.
Will do -- maybe they're waiting until RSVPs close (i.e. tomorrow)? I'm guessing you already bought train / plane tickets ... buying tickets and having no place to stay would be an absolute nightmare. Now, I'm slightly worried. :-(
Yeah, I'm all booked up to go...to a state I've never been to...without an idea where I'm staying. You probably have a point about them possibly waiting till RSVPs close, though. They probably want to get a good idea about numbers before putting in requests with current students.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Is there a separate application I have to fill out for Fin Aid or does submitting my FAFSA and Need Access automatically tell Yale that I'm applying for aid?

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Is there a separate application I have to fill out for Fin Aid or does submitting my FAFSA and Need Access automatically tell Yale that I'm applying for aid?
That's it! Super easy, and they get back to you super fast.

edamame

Bronze

Post by edamame » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:Is there a separate application I have to fill out for Fin Aid or does submitting my FAFSA and Need Access automatically tell Yale that I'm applying for aid?
That's it! Super easy, and they get back to you super fast.
Would it be worth applying for financial aid if you would've gotten $0 from HLS?

Also, unrelated -- but when did you guys start hearing back from your student buddies?

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm

edamame wrote:Would it be worth applying for financial aid if you would've gotten $0 from HLS?

Also, unrelated -- but when did you guys start hearing back from your student buddies?
Can't speak as to relation between H and Y finaid, but I was expecting next-to-nothing for both and was floored by Y.

Mine contacted me a couple weeks ago, so it was a bit of a lag. But once they do contact you, they're pretty speedy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edamame

Bronze

Post by edamame » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
edamame wrote:Would it be worth applying for financial aid if you would've gotten $0 from HLS?

Can't speak as to relation between H and Y finaid, but I was expecting next-to-nothing for both and was floored by Y.

Mine contacted me a couple weeks ago, so it was a bit of a lag. But once they do contact you, they're pretty speedy.
Hmmm, might give Y's financial aid a try, though... even though my family has nothing (no other child in higher ed) that would decrease my parental contribution. We'll see. The worst outcome will be that I get $0.

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

edamame wrote:Hmmm, might give Y's financial aid a try, though... even though my family has nothing (no other child in higher ed) that would decrease my parental contribution. We'll see. The worst outcome will be that I get $0.
Kind of like applying to Yale--the worst outcome is that you get rejected, and look how that turned out! :mrgreen:

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

If anybody gets a response from the student you are supposed to stay with next week, please post. I haven't heard anything yet, and I wouldn't worry except that I received about four confirmation emails (at random and different times) when I registered online.

edamame

Bronze

Post by edamame » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm

hdivine wrote:If anybody gets a response from the student you are supposed to stay with next week, please post. I haven't heard anything yet, and I wouldn't worry except that I received about four confirmation emails (at random and different times) when I registered online.
Will do. I will be arriving from Amtrak -- does anyone know anything about New Haven cabs? I'll probably be taking one to the Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm

So when you guys say wait list is a black hole, what kind of numbers do you mean?

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:00 pm

edamame wrote:Will do. I will be arriving from Amtrak -- does anyone know anything about New Haven cabs? I'll probably be taking one to the Law School.
Cab line right outside of the train station. Beware, though--most cab companies (except for Metro Taxi) are cash only.

vman21

Bronze

Post by vman21 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Hope you all have a ton of fun at ASW!

I am jealous -- wish I could be there, but still overseas... :evil:

Do those of you going to ASW mind discussing it with those of us who can't make it afterward (either in this thread or via PM)?

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 am

Has anybody else figured out the elusive "Yale Net ID," which is required to view listings on the off-campus housing site? I tried the Yale account I was given to look up my financial aid letter. The website said there was no Net ID associated with the account.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 am

hdivine wrote:Has anybody else figured out the elusive "Yale Net ID," which is required to view listings on the off-campus housing site? I tried the Yale account I was given to look up my financial aid letter. The website said there was no Net ID associated with the account.
You haven't gotten it yet. I think you have to matriculate before you are assigned a Net ID. (Or at least, I don't remember having one before I moved onto campus.)

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Checking in!

je12345

New

Post by je12345 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:Checking in! Any advice on where I should stay for ASW?
I had to make a last minute change for housing, and I emailed Asha to let her know that I needed housing a day or two ago. I don't think they've assigned students to prospective students for housing yet, so you should be able to get in.

d330

Bronze

Post by d330 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm sure there is an ASW schedule somewhere. Anyone mind pointing me to it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

edamame

Bronze

Post by edamame » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 pm

d330 wrote:I'm sure there is an ASW schedule somewhere. Anyone mind pointing me to it?
It's on the Facebook group. Just scroll down. It was published in February, I believe.

advicewelcome

New

Post by advicewelcome » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: transportation to and from the train station... aside from cabs, you can jump on one of the free city of New Haven buses (painted all green). That will take you to the town green, which is maybe a five minute walk from the law school. There are also Yale shuttles that pull right up to the train station every 5-20 minutes, and they'll take you to various parts of campus. Lastly, the train station is just a 15-20 minute walk from the law school.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm

je12345 wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:Checking in! Any advice on where I should stay for ASW?
I had to make a last minute change for housing, and I emailed Asha to let her know that I needed housing a day or two ago. I don't think they've assigned students to prospective students for housing yet, so you should be able to get in.
Got it thanks!

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Checking in! Hi guys!! I'm going to ASW too, but will be a huge scramble at this point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d330

Bronze

Post by d330 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:17 am

Anyone headed to both the Yale and Harvard ASWs? I'm driving down from Boston and then driving back up to Harvard on Saturday afternoon and wouldn't mind giving someone a lift (and if they drive letting them take some of time behind the wheel). Message me if you're interested.

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
hdivine wrote:Has anybody else figured out the elusive "Yale Net ID," which is required to view listings on the off-campus housing site? I tried the Yale account I was given to look up my financial aid letter. The website said there was no Net ID associated with the account.
You haven't gotten it yet. I think you have to matriculate before you are assigned a Net ID. (Or at least, I don't remember having one before I moved onto campus.)
I checked with Craig. He said they send those in May. If you want to look at off-campus listings, you can create a temporary account, but it expires after about two weeks.

elorica8

New

Post by elorica8 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Anyone have trouble joining the Facebook group? I keep getting an error when I click the link. Any need-to-know info being posted there?

edamame

Bronze

Post by edamame » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 am

Has anyone not received a confirmation of their admitted student program host yet? Or am I the only one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”