Nebraska C/O 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cooldude87

Bronze

Re: Nebraska C/O 2016

Post by cooldude87 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

How tolerant of racial/religious minorities are people in the Omaha and Lincoln areas. Also where do they stand politically, I know Nebraska is a red state but Omaha/Lincoln seem to be pretty moderate/lean left.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:29 pm

cooldude87 wrote:How tolerant of racial/religious minorities are people in the Omaha and Lincoln areas. Also where do they stand politically, I know Nebraska is a red state but Omaha/Lincoln seem to be pretty moderate/lean left.
I would say they're pretty tolerant. To be honest I've seen a lot more overt racism in Boston then i ever did in Nebraska.

Nebraska is definitely a red state but Omaha and Lincoln tend to lean left. In a lot of ways Lincoln is even more left than Omaha despite being smaller. They both have Democratic Mayors (the lincoln mayor is even relatively progressive). Omaha can be more of an even split, the upcoming mayoral race will likely be close. We can split our electoral votes and in 2008 Omaha went for Obama, and this time it went for Romney (some of this had to do with redistricting).

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 pm

feralinfant wrote:
cooldude87 wrote:How tolerant of racial/religious minorities are people in the Omaha and Lincoln areas. Also where do they stand politically, I know Nebraska is a red state but Omaha/Lincoln seem to be pretty moderate/lean left.
I would say they're pretty tolerant. To be honest I've seen a lot more overt racism in Boston then i ever did in Nebraska.

Nebraska is definitely a red state but Omaha and Lincoln tend to lean left. In a lot of ways Lincoln is even more left than Omaha despite being smaller. They both have Democratic Mayors (the lincoln mayor is even relatively progressive). Omaha can be more of an even split, the upcoming mayoral race will likely be close. We can split our electoral votes and in 2008 Omaha went for Obama, and this time it went for Romney (some of this had to do with redistricting).
That's good to hear. I'd much rather live in a city/area that tends to have competitive political races/ is relatively moderate. I'm from a very conservative state where the only election that matters is the republican primary, which really sucks.

Acronin689

New

Post by Acronin689 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:28 am

In, the price is really enticing. Worried about how insular it is though. i have some friends here in south Florida from UNL though and they say I'd be stupid not to attend. I'll definitely be visiting in March.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 pm

How is the search for summer employment/internships going for most people?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:51 am

Acronin689 wrote:In, the price is really enticing. Worried about how insular it is though. i have some friends here in south Florida from UNL though and they say I'd be stupid not to attend. I'll definitely be visiting in March.
It seems to me that if you're willing to hustle, you can probably find a job in most markets. I know of a 2L who will be summering with Skadden in New York, for example, if that's your thing. And she's a Nebraska girl and not 1st in the class. I have had interviews with Iowa firms, as well. Career services is great and they really want to put you where you want to go, so I'm not sure that I would let the apparently insular nature of the school's placement trump the price, especially since OOS tuition here is less than IS tution at a lot of public schools.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 am

cooldude87 wrote:How is the search for summer employment/internships going for most people?
I'm not fully in this game right now becuase I am currently employed and am very selective in the things that I apply for. That being said, it seems to me that everyone in my class last year that was looking for a job ended up with one (paid or unpaid). There are lots of externship opportunities for academic credit ands lots of public interest jobs that can be funded by a grant from the law school (through a program called Nebraska Fund for Clerkships in the Public Interest). Most of the class ended up working for companies or firms, however. For 1L's, it seems like there were a couple of dozen firms on campus interviewing and there will be a lot more (smaller firms) searching for clerks through carreer services in the coming months. For current 1L's, the employment decisions will probably start rolling in soon since OCI doesn't even begin until mid-to late January.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Doc: If you don't mind me asking why are you going to law school if you already have a PhD? Also when did you get your PhD? Were you working for a while and then decided you wanted to go to law school or did you just get it recently? Also can you comment on job prospects for liberal arts PhD's. Finally do you any an info about the joint JD/MA in Political Science. Thanks

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

cooldude87 wrote:Doc: If you don't mind me asking why are you going to law school if you already have a PhD? Also when did you get your PhD? Were you working for a while and then decided you wanted to go to law school or did you just get it recently? Also can you comment on job prospects for liberal arts PhD's. Finally do you any an info about the joint JD/MA in Political Science. Thanks
I got my Ph.D. in music from the University of Iowa in 2006. I was unable to get an academic job and as a result worked in insurance for a couple of years before returning to teaching as an adjunct instructor and cobbling together other part-time, temporary, and odd jobs sufficient to pay the bills. Basically, the job market for liberal arts Ph.D.'s is terrible - far, far worse than the legal market.

I got tired of two things 1) the instability of being an adjunct instructor. My course load would vary from 1 to 4 courses per semester and often nothing in the summers. I put up with this for four years. 2) The pretense and dubious value of academia. Perhaps people with Ph.D.'s in music theory are making valuable contributions to society, but I don't see it and got tired of being part of the charade. Law allows me to do the things I enjoyed (the research, analysis, and problem solving) with a practical end (settling a dispute, for example). All told, I was in "the real world" for five years between getting the Ph.D. and starting law school. For what it's worth, I am also married and have two children. I was 34 when I started law school.

I don't have any information about the joint programs other than to say that I know several people in various joint programs and they've worked things out so that the programs run pretty smoothly with one another. I would check out the law college's website for more info or call admissions. The admissions people are really great to work with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:58 pm

OK thanks, I asked because I was thinking of doing the joint JD/MA in Political Science and figured if I didn't get a legal job I could get a PhD, but I guess that isn't a great idea.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm

I was doing a search on NALP and saw that while Creighton has 6 different BigLaw firms interviewing UNL only has 2, why is this? I'm pretty sure both have the same percentage going into BigLaw so I guess UNL actually does better but do you think in the future more BigLaw firms will interview at UNL

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

cooldude87 wrote:I was doing a search on NALP and saw that while Creighton has 6 different BigLaw firms interviewing UNL only has 2, why is this? I'm pretty sure both have the same percentage going into BigLaw so I guess UNL actually does better but do you think in the future more BigLaw firms will interview at UNL
I suspect that the information on the NALP website is either innacurate or out of date. Virtually every large firm in Nebraska holds a reception for 1Ls and interviews on campus. More than a dozen firms, most of them large, interviewed 1Ls this spring.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:15 pm

That's good to hear. What are your thoughts on 0L prep?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

cooldude87 wrote:That's good to hear. What are your thoughts on 0L prep?
Don't bother. Law school profs all assume that you don't know what you're doing so there is a fair amount of hand-holding in the first year (along with a fair amount of pushing you off the cliff to see if you can fly). I didn't do anything in particular to prep and did ok my first year. By the same token, if a prof recommends that you use a suppliment, I would go ahead an use it, though.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:58 pm

How far in advance, or as close to the day should/can I schedule a visit if I want to come to one of the preview days?

zniha

New

Post by zniha » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm

cooldude87 wrote:How far in advance, or as close to the day should/can I schedule a visit if I want to come to one of the preview days?
I literally called the day before to schedule mine and showed up almost at the end because of a scheduling conflict they are very very easy to work with.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

zniha wrote:
cooldude87 wrote:How far in advance, or as close to the day should/can I schedule a visit if I want to come to one of the preview days?
I literally called the day before to schedule mine and showed up almost at the end because of a scheduling conflict they are very very easy to work with.
That's cool, how did you like it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

I don't think the preview days have a tendancy to "fill up" so I don't think you need to worry about scheduling too far in advance. On occasion, local events might make finding hotel accomodations difficult, though so you might want to check the hotel situation first if you're relying on a hotel. For example, the year I was admitted, the admitted student's weekend fell on the same weekend as the finals of the state basketball tournament which made hotel rooms hard to come by.

zniha

New

Post by zniha » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm

cooldude87 wrote:
zniha wrote:
That's cool, how did you like it?
I really enjoyed it. Of my visits it was the best so far. Between the visit and the $$$ they offered it vaulted them into my top few schools.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 pm

That's good to hear, I'm planning on visiting soon

Csom

New

Post by Csom » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Application status updated to admitted today. I just submitted my application last week and am surprised it was so quick, considering how late I applied. Speaking of the late application, I'm a SD resident so the tuition will be hiked up a bit for me, is there any likelihood I'll receive some sort of scholarship? I'm a bit pessimistic about that. Shouldn't have waited so long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Csom wrote:Application status updated to admitted today. I just submitted my application last week and am surprised it was so quick, considering how late I applied. Speaking of the late application, I'm a SD resident so the tuition will be hiked up a bit for me, is there any likelihood I'll receive some sort of scholarship? I'm a bit pessimistic about that. Shouldn't have waited so long.
Congrats on the admit. 2L here. I was admitted in February and got a scholarship worth about 1/3 tuition. Mu numbers are in my profile if you'd like to compare. The award was actually in the form of two scholarships, one of which is a New Nebraskans Scholarship, ostensibly to offset part of the difference between in state and out of state tuition. I know that the yeild on OOS applicants has historically been pretty low so it my impression that many OOS admits get some sort of money, although clearly not all of them. If you have specific questions about scholarships or the school in general, feel free to let me know.

Go Huskers!

Tier2Allstar

New

Post by Tier2Allstar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 am

Can you talk a little about the 9 point grading scale, the curve, the difficulty of maintaining good academic standing, and what your experience has been maintaining your scholarship (knowledge of those that haven't? I also noticed the ABA data for UNL only showed 2 transfers out. Do you think this is a product of grades spanning 2 semesters or are people just genuinely content staying there?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 am

Tier2Allstar wrote:Can you talk a little about the 9 point grading scale, the curve, the difficulty of maintaining good academic standing, and what your experience has been maintaining your scholarship (knowledge of those that haven't? I also noticed the ABA data for UNL only showed 2 transfers out. Do you think this is a product of grades spanning 2 semesters or are people just genuinely content staying there?
I'm not sure what ou want to know about the 9 point scale. Basically, an A+=9, A=8, B+=7 and so on. There are no minuses. It is a little odd, but I think it leads to greater precision than a traditional four point scale. I, for example, am the only person with my class rank, tied with nobody else. I was able to negotiate a scholarship with no stipulations, so as long as I don't flunk out, I'm set, but among those who had stipulations on their scholarships, I don't have kow, firsthand or otherwise, of anyone who has lost thiers.

First year course are generally curved to about a B/C+ (6/5 on the 9 point scale). Very few people get lower than C's (4's), although there have been some lower grades in upper level courses (notably there were two 2's in my Constitutional Law course last fall - a required second year course at UNL, first year elsewhere). I know of one person who was asked to leave at the end of the first year because of grades, but she was a rather exceptional case - got very upset at a professor over a project and stopped coming to school for a week, did not answer all of the questions on one final exam, and so on.

As far as transfers, I know a lot of transfer apps aren't due until after spring semester grades are out, so the year-long course thing shoulnd't really be an issue. I think the two-transfers out is about right, but I think only one of them actually went to another law school, the other went into another doctoral program (she already had a masters degree in another field). Most of the students are from Nebraska and plan to stay here, so there is little push to transfer. On the whole, those, I think the students are happy here and few look to transfer. They feel that Nebraska is the best law school in the state (which is supported by USNAWR data), so there is no reason to leave.

Let me know if you other questions.

Tier2Allstar

New

Post by Tier2Allstar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks Doc. I think you answered all of my questions.
The reason I was asking is most likely because of the same person you are mentioning that was asked to leave. I will be visiting in April. Frankly, if they would have tacked on a substantial Runza gift card... I'd have already submitted my seat deposit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”