BYU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jimmy_dean

Bronze

Re: BYU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by jimmy_dean » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 am

my index score with a $5k/yr scholarship is 237, but ymmv.

JacksonWY

New

Post by JacksonWY » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm

I noticed the same thing after reading various posts. It seems like they are really giving it out based upon LSAT scores rather than index. My index is a 237 as well but my LSAT was only at BYUs median. He didn't mention anything about scholarships in the interview so I figured I probably won't be recieving one. I guess I'll find out for sure when the letter arrives.

havanese11

New

Post by havanese11 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

eryj wrote:Anyone have any input on this:

I've heard of a couple people saying they got half scholarships, and with their UGPA/LSAT, their index score works out to around 230 (though they have a really high lsat). My index is slightly higher than that, but there was no mention of a scholarship in the acceptance letter I received over the weekend.

Last week I emailed GaeLynn and asked if scholarship was based purely off the index, regardless of how high/low the LSAT score is, and she confirmed that yes, any two people with the same index would have the same chance for scholarship, regardless of whether one had a higher LSAT.

Do scholarship offers always come with the acceptance letter? Don't get me wrong, the tuition is already super cheap, and I'm not complaining. But I sure wouldn't mind a scholly in addition to cheap tuition.
I don't think 230 is the scholarship index cut-off I'm slightly higher than that as well and have not received a scholarship, I wasn't expecting one either so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting one. I didn't even think there was a chance of one . . . until hearing a couple different people with lower index scores talking about half scholarships.

When I emailed GaeLynn, she said her understanding is that the new cut-off is an index of 232.

JM73

New

Post by JM73 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Accepted!!! :D

It was a quick interview with Dean Hernandez. Really, really nice guy. We talked for a few minutes, then he offered me admission. No scholarships, but I wasn't expecting any. Maybe I'll get lucky when the letter comes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. My index is lower than the cutoff. Haven't received the official packet yet, but I should get it sometime next week, if the timetable lines up with others. He also mentioned that there would be some events coming up at the end of March and the beginning of April. I'm assuming that these are admitted student days or something along those lines.

I've gotta say, I'm pretty excited!
PRgradBYU wrote:Congrats (presumably)! I wore a suit, too, and didn't feel overdressed at all.
Thanks! The suit was the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jimmy_dean

Bronze

Post by jimmy_dean » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:01 pm

congratulations! for me, getting admitted to jrcls made the rest of my cycle much less stressful since no matter what i've got a great option.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:congratulations! for me, getting admitted to jrcls made the rest of my cycle much less stressful since no matter what i've got a great option.
I feel the exact same way. I'm not calling BYU a "fallback" (because honestly, going to BYU on scholarship is a phenomenal deal and I don't view it as a fallback at all) but it does give off a definite sense of security.

byulawhopeful

New

Post by byulawhopeful » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey everyone,

Quick question... My LSAT was 158 and GPA 3.67 what do you think my chances are of getting accepted into BYU? I've already been admitted to the "U" but I'm really hoping to go to the "Y". You're insights are really appreciated, thanks!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 pm

byulawhopeful wrote:Hey everyone,

Quick question... My LSAT was 158 and GPA 3.67 what do you think my chances are of getting accepted into BYU? I've already been admitted to the "U" but I'm really hoping to go to the "Y". You're insights are really appreciated, thanks!
You're below both of their medians so to be completely honest, your chances of admission aren't looking too good. According to this, three people with numbers equal or better to yours were rejected. That being said, it never hurts to apply! If JRC is where you want to end up, shoot an application their way next cycle and see what happens.

...you weren't planning on applying to their class of 2016, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jimmy_dean

Bronze

Post by jimmy_dean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 pm

you don't have a great shot, but crazier things have happened this cycle.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 am

Don't give up! I'm a 1L who had lower scores than that. I had a few things in my file others didn't that they liked, so it's not ALL about scores. They definitely help, though, as that's the first thing they look at. Just make yourself stand out on your personal statement...write an addenda if you have to.

On that note, if anyone needs any advice or wants some questions answered about BYU law...or if you're in the area and want a tour...just PM me.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Anyone have any idea what it takes to get a full-ride at BYU?

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

I've got a dilemma. A great dilemma to be in, but a tough one nonetheless. I was elated to be accepted to BYU - low tuition, great school, lots of family in UT, etc. Then I get a letter in the mail from U of Iowa offering me a full scholly . . .

So, that would save me around $33k over going to BYU (no scholly from BYU). BUT, there's the stipulation of staying in the top 37.5% of the class to keep the scholarship, not to mention I'd be spending 3 yrs in Iowa (served my mission in Illinois, so I know I could handle it, but it would be kind of tough).

U of Iowa is ranked higher though, for whatever that's worth.

Just feeling a little conflicted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hohenheim

Bronze

Post by hohenheim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:09 am

eryj wrote:I've got a dilemma. A great dilemma to be in, but a tough one nonetheless. I was elated to be accepted to BYU - low tuition, great school, lots of family in UT, etc. Then I get a letter in the mail from U of Iowa offering me a full scholly . . .

So, that would save me around $33k over going to BYU (no scholly from BYU). BUT, there's the stipulation of staying in the top 37.5% of the class to keep the scholarship, not to mention I'd be spending 3 yrs in Iowa (served my mission in Illinois, so I know I could handle it, but it would be kind of tough).

Where do you want to work? I think that's the key question here.

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 am

eryj wrote:I'd appreciate some thoughts on my dilemma. I was elated to be accepted to BYU - low tuition, great school, lots of family in UT, etc. Then I get a letter in the mail from U of Iowa offering me a full scholly . . .

So, that would save me around $33k over going to BYU (no scholly from BYU). BUT, there's the stipulation of staying in the top 37.5% of the class to keep the scholarship, not to mention I'd be spending 3 yrs in Iowa (served my mission in Illinois, so I know I could handle it, but it would kind of tough).

Where do you want to work? If Utah, BYU hands down, if Iowa, I'd say Iowa. Anywhere else, I'd still say BYU.
I think BYU far outperforms its ranking and has more of a national reach b/c of the Mormon network. And $33k is really not that much, to be honest. Also, with the stipulation, you may end up losing it anyways and paying more than you would at BYU (it's hard to predict law school performance).

Rankings really don't matter much outside of the top few, as long as you're in roughly the same tier. It's all about what region you want to work in.

Just my two cents.

Edit: scooped

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm

The safest assumption you can make is that you will lose the scholly; top 37.5% is a fairly heavy stip. After that, you'll be paying sticker. Not sure about the residency situation, but that puts you at $52k+ if you can get residency, $94k if you cannot. To be safe, I would assume the latter. Compare both of those to BYU's guaranteed $33k. However...
yarsten wrote:I think BYU far outperforms its ranking and has more of a national reach b/c of the Mormon network.
The idea of an abstract Mormon network sounds nice, but stats are stats, and only 51% of BYU's class of 2011 had full-time JD-required jobs after 9 months. No doubt it exists, but a one-in-two shot of getting a job is a poor showing for a school with a seemingly national and strong network.

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 pm

buddytyler wrote: The idea of an abstract Mormon network sounds nice, but stats are stats, and only 51% of BYU's class of 2011 had full-time JD-required jobs after 9 months. No doubt it exists, but a one-in-two shot of getting a job is a poor showing for a school with a seemingly national and strong network.
I agree that the employment numbers are pretty bad. U of Iowa is at about 65%, which isn't great either. These numbers do not reflect reach, however, which was the main thing I was trying to get across- I would assume that from U of Iowa, your chances at firms outside the region are pretty low, whereas at BYU there are quite a few firms from around the country at OCI and the Mormon network does help with that. If you're below median, it probably won't give you any boost, but below median at any school of similar rank is a death sentence anyways. Maybe the extra chance in employment will be worth the stipulation risk at Iowa- I doubt it though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

If the only thing that pushes you to consider BYU is the Mormon network you should probably choose Iowa. The Mormon network is opened up to anyone that is part of the J. Ruben Clark Society and to a lesser extent if you have BYU on your resume for an undergraduate. Granted nothing says Mormon lawyer like a JD from BYU. But you are in no means barred from using this network if you go somewhere outside of Utah. I think the main concern would be loosing that full ride. If you don't make top 1/3 bug are top 2/3 do you get half scholarship? If so this might not be that bad of a deal. It just depends on how risk averse you are.

jimmy_dean

Bronze

Post by jimmy_dean » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 pm

both similarly-ranked regionals. iowa obviously has great midwest placement, and if you coif you could maybe even end up in houston or dallas. byu gets you the intermountain west and a shot at socal. both place poorly in biglaw (~7% for each). byu has the mormon mafia advantage, so put whatever stock in that you want (i put almost none in it).

that said, the risk/return calculus just doesn't make a lot of sense for iowa. worst case: you don't make stips and are paying $46k for your last two years. that's $90k of debt (before interest cost) you're risking for a total benefit of $33k. seems like an easy decision (to me, at least) unless you're hellbent to get dat iowa midlaw.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Nickg415 wrote:If the only thing that pushes you to consider BYU is the Mormon network you should probably choose Iowa. The Mormon network is opened up to anyone that is part of the J. Ruben Clark Society and to a lesser extent if you have BYU on your resume for an undergraduate. Granted nothing says Mormon lawyer like a JD from BYU. But you are in no means barred from using this network if you go somewhere outside of Utah. I think the main concern would be loosing that full ride. If you don't make top 1/3 bug are top 2/3 do you get half scholarship? If so this might not be that bad of a deal. It just depends on how risk averse you are.
I'd be really interested in having a discussion about how non-reflective BYU's 50.7% LST employment score is, given the exploitable LDS network.

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Great points.

To answer the question about the stips, if I am ranked lower than top 37.5% but still higher than top 50%, then I get half scholarship. Still though, it's a tough stip, I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jimmy_dean

Bronze

Post by jimmy_dean » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Anybody going to dinner with prof backman tomorrow?

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm

So I still haven't heard anything back from byu yet.... has everyone else already gotten a response?

Also Im pretty sure this might be the only thread on tls that isnt full of weird angry posts.

JacksonWY

New

Post by JacksonWY » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

How long did it take all of you to receive your acceptance letter after doing the interview (or being emailed about the interview)?

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 pm

JacksonWY wrote:How long did it take all of you to receive your acceptance letter after doing the interview (or being emailed about the interview)?
It was probably about 2 weeks after the interview/acceptance that I got the acceptance letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”