Seattle University c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
atay

New

Re: Seattle University c/o 2016

Post by atay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't think you purchase a laptop off of their website... The website just lists the specifications and then it's up to you to find one that meets them. Most newer laptops with good software should work.

I just got the financial aid letter, SU is so extremely expensive. Think I'll be withdrawing this week!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:35 pm

J.E.M. wrote:Hey there, I was wondering if any current SU students have any insight or can share their experiences so far in the program? As a soon to be 1L, I'm curious what it's going to be like as a future SU student.

Also, does anyone have information on the laptops? I can't seem to purchase the laptop from their website, not until I get my official email set up. Is this a specific one or just a recommended one? I'm trying to get ahead of what I need to do in preparation for my summer classes.

Thanks!
PM'd

NikiShiz

New

Post by NikiShiz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Only got $8000 in scholarship money, I was definitely expecting more considering Chicago Kent offered me 60K and Case Western offered me $45K in addition to a $5000 first year stip. Thinking of negotiating...

doglover0702

Bronze

Post by doglover0702 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Withdrew tonight. Good luck!

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:38 pm

I visited the school on Tuesday (3/26) and was really impressed with how clean the campus was. I know that sounds weird, but the school is in the city and I kind of expected it to look the part. If it matters, there is a ton of places to eat within a short walking distance (2-3blocks). I had already made my decision before I went on the visit, and was very happy I had picked SU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 pm

withdrew with $$. good luck everyone!

johnsbren

New

Post by johnsbren » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 pm

withdrew, good luck folks!

leesk621

New

Post by leesk621 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Thank you for the updates! Good luck to you both.

raleighred

New

Post by raleighred » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

IN LAST FRIDAY! STOKED. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 am

It seems like every forum has nothing but "withdrew. Good luck." Is anyone posting "attending. Cant wait."

Other than me that is, because I am attending and cant wait.

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 am

honolulu_hopeful wrote:It seems like every forum has nothing but "withdrew. Good luck." Is anyone posting "attending. Cant wait."

Other than me that is, because I am attending and cant wait.
I'm attending as well. I negotiated up my scholarship and am starting in the summer. Can't wait either (although I'm still wait listed at Udub and a part of me is still hoping I get off. Lol)

raleighred

New

Post by raleighred » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Most likely attending too! :) Still waiting to get my admit packet in the mail, hoping for some scholarship money.

gerbear87

New

Post by gerbear87 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm

[quote="honolulu_hopeful"]It seems like every forum has nothing but "withdrew. Good luck." Is anyone posting "attending. Cant wait."

Other than me that is, because I am attending and cant wait.[/q

I'm attending and can't wait- so I'm starting in the summer!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Sat May 04, 2013 12:23 am

gerbear87 wrote:
honolulu_hopeful wrote:It seems like every forum has nothing but "withdrew. Good luck." Is anyone posting "attending. Cant wait."

Other than me that is, because I am attending and cant wait.[/q

I'm attending and can't wait- so I'm starting in the summer!
I am starting in the summer too, but as part of the evening program

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 am

u guys goin to the spring visit day on the 20th?

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 am

atcushman wrote:u guys goin to the spring visit day on the 20th?
I can't, but hopefully some people take pics and share and whatnot

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 4:18 am

Attended Seattle University School of Law 2007-2010

“Psychopaths with charm are criminals, psychopaths without charm are lawyers.” -me

I only applied to Seattle U, and got in (my husband works locally at Microsoft so I couldn't go anywhere else since UW doesn't admit very many from within state). It was the worst school experience I have ever had. Although I graduated, I did it on my own. The teachers and staff are the laziest people I have ever met on earth. No wonder they went from number 20 to 102 on US News and World.

Imagine your whole grade is based on one test at the end. Imagine getting a C even though you worked your butt off. Imagine going to look at your exam and finding NOT ONE SINGLE MARKING ON THE ENTIRE THING. It has been printed out since you took it on a laptop, but you can't even tell anyone has touched it. You can't tell what you did right or wrong. Imagine contacting the instructor (I refuse to use the word professor, because really they aren't) and asking to talk to him/her about your final (which you are only allowed to look at in a small room with no materials whatsoever. You can't look stuff up in books, take notes, nothing) so you can find out what you did wrong. Imagine they 1. ignore you altogether (Henke), 2. tell you there is no way they are meeting with you because then they have to meet with EVERYONE (Sidney DeLong), or 3. you set up a meeting and in the meeting they tell you they are not going to go over your test, but that you should some buy some $30 book instead (Getting to Maybe) and you do buy it and read it, and instead of a C on your next final, you get a C- (Janet Ainsworth). After grades in the 1L year all the students wander around trying not to throw up from the utter lack of control they have over their own grades. Even though finals are graded "blind" I'd bet my left arm they aren't. Due to the curve, 10% get A's, 20% get B's, the rest get C's. No one is failed out (unless they turn NOTHING in) because the school wants that money.

I started the first Criminal Justice Society at the school and was the president for two years and the school hated me for it for some reason (and the club died after I left, because everyone there is so lazy and self-involved). I started something called the Murder 101 Project so that students could work on real-life murder cases with local attorneys, and they about crapped themselves over the concept/name even though the local attorneys loved it. If an attorney wanted to give our club a donation the school would not allow it, the money had to come to the school and then they could give it to whomever they wished (themselves I'm sure).

Anyway, every lawyer I have met since graduation has been a bigger nightmare than the one before (greedy, homophobic/racist/classist, dumb, lazy, cheaters). Imagine you graduate law school and your first job out your boss (at a single-lawyer criminal defense firm) wants you call a few people and them to sell 1. Their father’s watch they inherited when the father died, and 2. Their truck, so that they could pay the attorney. Things went DOWNHILL from there. Even the friends I made at law school I cannot stand to be around anymore. Even my best friend who I worked with so we could both get in (she graduated first) I can't stand (she's working for banks in bankruptcies against poor people - way to go Hilary!).

Anyway, I’m doing tech support now because my husband begged me not to law anymore because it was depressing me to the point of almost no return. I love the people I work with, which I found out is more important than what I do.

I now have a saying, “Psychopaths with charm are criminals, psychopaths without charm are lawyers.”

contact me with any questions
donnabert@comcast.net

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Fri May 10, 2013 4:35 am

Uh, you realize that SU is not alone in determining a class grade by one exam. Furthermore just because you studied doesn't mean you studied for the exam. That is many mistakes students make (if you read Getting to Maybe they go through that mistake). Also, SU was never at 20. So that's a lie right there. Furthermore, you just realizes after graduating that lawyers behave in their own self interest? There's a reason lawyers are known as sharks. Sorry you had a shitty experience and I'm not saying that I'm special enough to warrant I different experience, but come on. It almost sounds like you expected them to help you when everyone on TLS pretty much knows you're on your own. Thanks for your unwanted opinion.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 am

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 am

JaviSTB12 wrote:Uh, you realize that SU is not alone in determining a class grade by one exam. Furthermore just because you studied doesn't mean you studied for the exam. That is many mistakes students make (if you read Getting to Maybe they go through that mistake). Also, SU was never at 20. So that's a lie right there. Furthermore, you just realizes after graduating that lawyers behave in their own self interest? There's a reason lawyers are known as sharks. Sorry you had a shitty experience and I'm not saying that I'm special enough to warrant I different experience, but come on. It almost sounds like you expected them to help you when everyone on TLS pretty much knows you're on your own. Thanks for your unwanted opinion.

Uhhhhh, write me after you graduate brainiac. I didn't realize EVERY LAWYER IS A PSYCHOPATH, because *I* was going to be a lawyer and *I* am not a psychopath.

And to answer your questions in order:
1. No.
2. I had more in court experience at that point then you will get in the next 20 years.
3. I think you might be the dumbest person I have met all week, and that's saying something.
4. I think you'll fit right in with the psychopaths.
5. Be sure you post your grades here after your first year.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 am

sublime12089 wrote:Honestly, and I am sorry to say this, but it sounds like you just couldn't cut it.
Yeah, read some articles about me and how I couldn't cut it. What I couldn't cut was self-interested psychopaths trying to bring me down 24/7, and no, life is not usually like that. I'm a self-starter who DOES things and LOVES people. Law students cheat off each other (I saw it and was asked to participate, which I didn't. Our student speaker at our graduation can't take the BAR because he was caught cheating during law school. Yes, he's their hero. The cheater.) Lawyers do nothing but cheat off each other and copy each other's briefs and then charge their clients for 20 hours when their secretary spent 1 hour on it.

You are right, I don't fit in with those types. Thank god. My name is Donna Larsen, so you can pick me out of the articles/videos done about me. Here are two:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... en16m.html

--LinkRemoved--!

I was in court more before law school then most people are after.

Part of my law school essay with more accomplishments:

My desire to make a difference in the world led me to a volunteer opportunity in 2001. I came across an opening with the Lane County District Attorney’s office to be a crime victim advocate. (Lane County, Oregon has one of the most progressive crime victim advocate offices in the country.) Because I have always been interested in the legal system, I applied and went through their training. For two years I worked between eight and sixteen hours a week as a volunteer crime victim advocate. I felt a great deal of satisfaction helping crime victims navigate the legal system. I worked in every department, including protection order court, where I helped people fill out their paperwork and went in front of the judge with them. I helped victims of every sort of crime fill out crime victim compensation forms. I went to court with the victims or, if they could not attend, in their place. I informed victims of the whereabouts of the perpetrator of their crime if he or she had been released from jail. When a file was assigned to me, I became the liaison between the victim and the attorney, leaving the attorney free to focus on the case. I progressed from handling shoplifting to domestic violence to burglary and rape cases during the two years that I volunteered there.

I told my husband how happy I was working as a crime victim advocate and said that I might want to do it professionally. I especially enjoyed going to court and trials. He suggested that I go to law school and become an attorney. I told him I felt I was too old to begin working towards something that big because I did not even have a bachelor’s degree at the time. He replied that I was not too old. I mentioned this idea to a few friends, and they all encouraged me to work towards law school. I was reminded of something my father told me when I was young: “To be blessed with a talent and not share that talent with the world is the greatest sin,” and I was also reminded of the man who dove into the Potomac to save the drowning woman and recommitted myself to improving society. Because I have a talent and a love for helping people navigate through the legal system, I believe that becoming an attorney would be the best use of my life.

To further familiarize myself with the legal system (and about a year into earning my bachelor’s degree), I decided to start a website called trialdiary.com where I would blog about trials I attended, so the public could read about how the legal system worked. A friend of mine, Hilary Mohr, was also interested in the project so we created the website together. To start, we decided to attend the triple-murder trial of Sebastian Burns and Atif Rafay. We attended the trial almost daily, from the opening statements through the conviction and sentencing. The trial lasted six months, and trialdiary.com garnered a lot of media attention during that time. The Seattle Times published an article about us, which was picked up by the Associated Press and reported nationally and internationally. We appeared on KOMO 4 News, the Q13 Fox Morning News, and Catherine Crier Live on Court TV to talk about the website and the trial itself. The experience confirmed my belief that I want to become an attorney. Not surprisingly, Hilary is currently in her third year at the Seattle University School of Law.

I received an Associate of Arts degree from Bellevue Community College (BCC) with a concentration in philosophy. My GPA at BCC earned me membership in Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society for two-year colleges. Of my courses at BCC, I enjoyed logic the most. I found it stimulating to turn an argument into a math problem in order to solve it. I hoped that logic would be a powerful tool I could use to solve complex social problems when I became an attorney. My philosophy professors did not share my enthusiasm for logic. Even while teaching it, they insisted it had no intrinsic value and seemed to treat the subject more like a parlor trick than a science. However, with their encouragement, I became the president of the Philosophy Club and took other philosophy classes, which gave me an expanded introduction to the history of law and order, the theories that inspired the creation of modern government, and the ethics that are valued in a democratic society. I am particularly interested in John Rawls’ Original Position and the implications it has for protecting those who are most vulnerable in society.

I am working toward a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences with a concentration in political economy, which I will finish in the spring of 2007; I am currently on the Dean’s List due to my GPA. I stumbled into this concentration by accident but have been consistently fascinated by the classes I have taken. These classes have taught me both the economic theory and the political reality that help explain major world events, the acquisition of power, and the most complex social issues we face today. My education in philosophy has taught me how the world should be, but political economy has taught me how the world really is. The knowledge I have acquired from the two different disciplines has influenced me to make the world more the way it should be because my goal is to make the world a better place than I found it.
I chose to apply to the Seattle University School of Law because I feel that your program offers the professional skills and knowledge I need to reach out and help those in society who need it the most; the professional atmosphere and emphasis on a quality education at your institution appeals to me. In addition, I have researched your law classes and am pleased to find that you have the best legal writing course in the country. In conclusion, I believe that attending the Seattle University School of Law will help me help others.

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 am

sublime12089 wrote:
donnabert wrote:
JaviSTB12 wrote:Uh, you realize that SU is not alone in determining a class grade by one exam. Furthermore just because you studied doesn't mean you studied for the exam. That is many mistakes students make (if you read Getting to Maybe they go through that mistake). Also, SU was never at 20. So that's a lie right there. Furthermore, you just realizes after graduating that lawyers behave in their own self interest? There's a reason lawyers are known as sharks. Sorry you had a shitty experience and I'm not saying that I'm special enough to warrant I different experience, but come on. It almost sounds like you expected them to help you when everyone on TLS pretty much knows you're on your own. Thanks for your unwanted opinion.

Uhhhhh, write me after you graduate brainiac. I didn't realize EVERY LAWYER IS A PSYCHOPATH, because *I* was going to be a lawyer and *I* am not a psychopath.

And to answer your questions in order:
1. No.
2. I had more in court experience at that point then you will get in the next 20 years.
3. I think you might be the dumbest person I have met all week, and that's saying something.
4. I think you'll fit right in with the psychopaths.
5. Be sure you post your grades here after your first year.
Strange... you sound kind of like a psychopath....

I get it, shit didn't end up the way you would have liked it to and you hold a grudge against your school. I get it. I hope you are happier at your career outside of law, but it does not seem like you are. Listing complaints against a school is one thing, but there is no reason at all to belittle other posters. It is interesting that you spoke against many horrible things and terrible behaviors in society, yet replicate that in a shitty disposition.

Also, pro-tip - don't quote yourself, it makes you look like an asshole.
See? That's what I was afraid was going to happen if I hung around lawyers. Guess I was right.

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 am

And when I was on Court TV...

--LinkRemoved--

I really want to apologize for telling you guys what it's like. I'm sure I'm bringing you down and you probably have some law-school-acceptance reality-block, but get back to me in five years.

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 6:22 am

donnabert wrote:And when I was on Court TV...

--LinkRemoved--

I really want to apologize for telling you guys what it's like. I'm sure I'm bringing you down and you probably have some law-school-acceptance reality-block, but get back to me in five years.
Really funny article by a lawyer who hates law, that pretty much explains why you all can't accept that it isn't that fun:

http://thepeoplestherapist.com/2010/12/ ... ck-at-law/

and this which starts out....

http://thepeoplestherapist.com/2013/03/ ... the-world/

If law students are annoying, then pre-law students are twice as annoying. There’s something about observing these lemmings scrabble their way into the maws of ruthless law schools, despite dire warnings and appeals to common sense, that just…gets under my skin.

Even after so much effort has been expended for their benefit – i.e., which part of “Way Worse Than Being a Dentist” didn’t you understand? – these piteous creatures patiently queue up for their punishment, hungry to “learn to think like a lawyer.” If your resolve weakens, and pity prevails over contempt, you might mistakenly engage one in conversation. For your trouble, you’ll receive an earful of a clueless pipsqueak’s master plan to save the world. Because – you hadn’t heard? – that’s why he’s going to law school: The betterment of humanity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”