Held at Georgetown Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
slawww

Silver

Held at Georgetown

Post by slawww » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Figured I'd make a thread for any others also in Georgetown purgatory. Feel free to post any updates you may have.

dpm54

New

Re: Held at Georgetown

Post by dpm54 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm

They invited me for an alumni interview and then sent a letter a couple weeks later saying they "postponed my decision." I'm stuck also :(

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

It'd be great if you guys could post your #s, I'm looking to apply here after I get back my December score. Hopefully I'm splitter-worthy

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm

dpm54 wrote:They invited me for an alumni interview and then sent a letter a couple weeks later saying they "postponed my decision." I'm stuck also :(
I feel your pain, Georgetown is definitely my #1 choice, hopefully we get in prior to the Feb. 28th deadline. I figure they must still be strongly considering our apps, otherwise they would have just outright rejected us.
scottyc66 wrote:It'd be great if you guys could post your #s, I'm looking to apply here after I get back my December score. Hopefully I'm splitter-worthy
For the sake of anonymity:

LSAT is slightly below the 25th percentile. Cumulative GPA is not very high, Major GPA is around median, compelling story (I think), also URM.

I now actually believe GULC when they says it's not strictly a #'s game, because if so, I'd be an auto-reject.

gmp

New

Post by gmp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Also got a hold email yesterday. Above 75th GPA and below 25th LSAT. Just happy/surprised I wasn't already rejected!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 pm

gmp wrote:Also got a hold email yesterday. Above 75th GPA and below 25th LSAT. Just happy/surprised I wasn't already rejected!
Haha same, I'm also glad they gave us a date they ensure a decision by. I'm trying to forget about Georgetown til then, but it's a tough task!

dpm54

New

Post by dpm54 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm

slawww wrote:
dpm54 wrote:They invited me for an alumni interview and then sent a letter a couple weeks later saying they "postponed my decision." I'm stuck also :(
I feel your pain, Georgetown is definitely my #1 choice, hopefully we get in prior to the Feb. 28th deadline. I figure they must still be strongly considering our apps, otherwise they would have just outright rejected us.
scottyc66 wrote:It'd be great if you guys could post your #s, I'm looking to apply here after I get back my December score. Hopefully I'm splitter-worthy
For the sake of anonymity:

LSAT is slightly below the 25th percentile. Cumulative GPA is not very high, Major GPA is around median, compelling story (I think), also URM.

I now actually believe GULC when they says it's not strictly a #'s game, because if so, I'd be an auto-reject.
I think the interview they gave me was to see if they want to reject me or hold me. I'm a major split - I have a 3.97 GPA (according to LSAC's calculation which weighs A+ as higher than A, but my school has me at 3.89. I guess the LSAC one is what counts though right?) but a 164 LSAT. I took it twice and got 164 the first time and then 163. I think I choked on test day because I was averaging much higher than that in practice, but it still looks bad to have 2 scores that are so similar and for the second one to be lower. I also think the soft aspects of my app are really good. So a hold is a good sign for me considering how low my LSAT is.

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info guys, looks like with my slightly below 25th percentile GPA I'm gonna need 172+

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:07 pm

scottyc66 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, looks like with my slightly below 25th percentile GPA I'm gonna need 172+
Good luck! Just don't take my spot 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 pm

slawww wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, looks like with my slightly below 25th percentile GPA I'm gonna need 172+
Good luck! Just don't take my spot 8)
Should be just fine, 172 is a little above my avg PT and barring another crazy -14 Dec curve I don't see it happening.

levinelove

New

Post by levinelove » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 pm

gmp wrote:Just happy/surprised I wasn't already rejected!
Same here. Let the waiting games begin.

Is anyone planning on sending a LOCI?

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Joining you all in the held pile. No interview, just straight to hold. Glad to not be in the reject pile. I'll consider writing a LOCI once exams are over, but I'm not sure yet.

pmd49

New

Post by pmd49 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Also held. Any idea as to what percentage of those held in years past were eventually accepted?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm

pmd49 wrote:Also held. Any idea as to what percentage of those held in years past were eventually accepted?
I'm wondering the same thing.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

levinelove wrote:

I plan on sending one after my 2012 Fall semester grades become official.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:12 pm

pmd49 wrote:Also held. Any idea as to what percentage of those held in years past were eventually accepted?
+. I think everyone ever held has been dying to know this.

I've been rationalizing it as this: GULC gets over 8,000 applicants/year. They could have very easily rejected me/us, so, (I think) we still have a good shot.

malcolm

New

Post by malcolm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 pm

I was held also (received the "decided to postpone your decision" email. no interview). Does anyone know the difference between this and being waitlisted? Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

levinelove

New

Post by levinelove » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

slawww wrote:

I've been rationalizing it as this: GULC gets over 8,000 applicants/year. They could have very easily rejected me/us, so, (I think) we still have a good shot.
I think it really just matters on how many people with December LSAT scores will be applying/how good those scores are...but from looking at last year's thread there were definitely people admitted after being held so there is hope!

levinelove

New

Post by levinelove » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
levinelove wrote:

What's the proper way to send this? Do you just e-mail it to admissions or mail it? I'm clueless

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm

levinelove wrote:
slawww wrote:

I think it really just matters on how many people with December LSAT scores will be applying/how good those scores are...but from looking at last year's thread there were definitely people admitted after being held so there is hope!
Yepp, that's definitely true. Hopefully the drop in LSAT test takers & test scores from the top will be in our favor. Especially since GULC is on the bottom end of the T14.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 pm

levinelove wrote:
KanyeShrug wrote:
levinelove wrote:

What's the proper way to send this? Do you just e-mail it to admissions or mail it? I'm clueless
I figured I'd get my updated transcript sent to LSAC in January. Once that's been received, I'm gonna send a LOCI acknowledging the new grades, my continued interest, etc. in a Word attachment in an email. I think a Word doc will be easier to add to the file than just throwing the LOCI into the body of the email.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ginger88

New

Post by ginger88 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:01 pm

I was held at georgetown with a 3.7 and a 166 what is everyone else's numbers?

malcolm

New

Post by malcolm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 pm

ginger88 wrote:I was held at georgetown with a 3.7 and a 166 what is everyone else's numbers?
169/3.56

Do you know what the difference between held and waitlisted is?

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 pm

malcolm wrote:
ginger88 wrote:I was held at georgetown with a 3.7 and a 166 what is everyone else's numbers?
169/3.56

Waitlist means they have already decided they will not be admitting you, but you will be held for reserve.

Held means that they like your application, but have not made a decision yet, and would like to get a better sense of the applicant pool before they decide on your application.

So, IMO, Held>Waitlist

malcolm

New

Post by malcolm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm

slawww wrote:
malcolm wrote:
169/3.56

Waitlist means they have already decided they will not be admitting you, but you will be held for reserve.

Held means that they like your application, but have not made a decision yet, and would like to get a better sense of the applicant pool before they decide on your application.

So, IMO, Held>Waitlist
Well, that's a (slight) relief. This was my first word from any school, so I was hoping for an admit. But hey, I'll take it.

Thanks for the info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”